SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help! AIR BAG light is on after battery change

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-04, 08:31 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by mikeloc24
I thought that as well, but my car is in EXCELLENT condition (I don't say that lightly either, I say that based on meeting a few other SC owners and also looking at the SC's of fellow CL members, the condition of my 92 is unlike any other I've seen to date) so I doubt I have any issues with the SRS system, I know I caused the light to come on by driving around with the cluster removed. When you did all this removing and installing most likely you didn't drive the car in the meantime (kinda impossible with the battery disconnected eh?). But I understand what you're saying. I feel confident saying I should be able to clear this myself without any unnecessary charges from the dealer. As I stated, there's nothing wrong with the system, I most likely am not grounding it properly. Thanks though, and it's not really about the $100, I just would rather give it to a stripper or lose it in a bar so I at least get something for my money, I never have pleasant experiences with the dealer because their first motivation is "get his money", not "solve his problem" I hate those jerk-offs and try never to deal with them.
Do you have a fax number? contact me thru PM here so I can fax you the copied of the manual when I have time (remember , I can only do this when I have time. My current work office doesn't let me do this)

Last edited by VQT; 05-25-04 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-25-04, 12:29 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you got pm.
Old 05-28-04, 06:00 PM
dean s
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default damb airbag light

o.k have you beat that thing yet ? I am having the same problem with my 92 sc4 can't get the light out and I was following the same instructions ! I have the 41 error code as well ..don't have any idea what set it off but after paying a toyota dealer 200 bills for him to tell me the track light which came on later was caused by a bad o2 sensor I ' ll be dammed if I'm going to get screwed by another of those dogs without being kissed!!!!! if you figuire it out let me know .o.k
thanx and good luck ;Dean S
Old 06-01-04, 12:06 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Dean, man no. I'm still dealing with it. I was supposed to hook up with another member this past weekend to get it cleared but I never heard from him, guess he was busy. Once I do clear the damn thing I'll let you guys know. As for now I'm about to buy one of those toggle switches and wire up one of those 3 pronged contraptions to try to clear it. I figure my problem is in the switching. damn damn damn!! throws off the look of the entire cluster!!!
Old 06-01-04, 03:05 PM
dean s
Driver

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you man !what a pain in the #&#%$! lots a luck...
Old 06-01-04, 04:35 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

It IS a pain Dean, (a minor one in comparison to others I'm dealing with currently) but the thing is right in my line of sight, so whenever I drive there it is staring right back at me. This weekend I came out of a bar on Sunset Blvd, got into my car and almost freaked out when I saw that light, thought it was some other warning light at first, must have been the booze playing tricks on me. Plus a couple of chicks have gotten in and asked about it. Too funny, I just ignore the question. But I will get this thing handled one way or another...I just hope I have luck going the cheap route, I'm almost at my wit's end!!
Old 06-01-04, 11:34 PM
dean s
Driver

hey Mike did you get your gages redone by LEXTEC LIGHTING .I 've been try'ing to find an extra set to install so I can get mine redone,but there is a definit shotage of them up here.and I can't see myself riding around for two weeks+ without a dash...
Old 06-02-04, 10:08 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by dean s
hey Mike did you get your gages redone by LEXTEC LIGHTING .I 've been try'ing to find an extra set to install so I can get mine redone,but there is a definit shotage of them up here.and I can't see myself riding around for two weeks+ without a dash...
Yeah Dean, Lextech did my cluster. Don't worry about driving around without the cluster, I did it for over 3 weeks with only one issue, I didn't get gas on the day I was supposed to and it almost cost me. As long as you drive the same speed as everyone around you and remember to keep your tank topped off you'll have no problems. I thought I couldn't drive without my cluster as well, no way no how, but it's not really that bad, trust me. If you need help with removing the thing shoot me a pm and I'll tell you the steps I did since it's still fresh in my head. There's an order to removing the parts to ensure you don't damage anything, and if you've never pulled off that dimmer panel it can be a ***** the first time.
Old 04-04-05, 09:33 PM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

well, how many of those who attempted to clear the air bag light have given up?

i've read like 5 good threads on this issue and noticed that half the time people were saying it didnt work, i dont know if they fixed it or not, half of them didnt follow up

do you still drive around with the darn thing on?

taking the bulb out doesnt count
Old 04-05-05, 02:05 AM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

this thread is quite old. but i just got my cluster back from lextech this weekend and had to clear the light as well. I spent the whole day trying to clear with no success, it is quite a pain when you know your so close but yet your actually not even close if you didnt ground it correctly. I kept reading the instructions on how to clear it but none of them was all that clear. I finally got it on the first try after I figured out what was wrong.

I'll let everyone know an easy way to ensure it gets done with minimal tries. At first i slipped a wire between the door hinge as a ground and used that for a while. I even tried using the cigarette lighter rim like some mentioned but didnt really work for me either. So after I whipped out a 8 gauge wire and connected directly to the battery. I was sure the ground would be good.

The steps are as follows.
1. Strip both ends of the thick wire and connect one end to the battery and the other you will use to ground.
2. then get 2 thin wires strip both ends or use 2 paper clips and stick one in to tc and 1 into ab of the diagnostics plug under the dash, you can unscrew the diagnostics plug like a light bulb and get it to hang out for easier access if you want. (to ensure the 2 thin wires are in properly turn the ignition to on and touch the 2 wires together and that will make the airbag light go out till u untouch them. If nothing happends then one of the wires isnt contacting the ab or tc good. )
3. After you've ensured the 3 wires are connected. hold the 2 thin wires conencted to AB and TC in parrallel in one hand and then got the thicker ground wire and placed it in between with out touching the thinner wires. This allows for you to easily alternate between grounding the 2 thin wires.
5. Now turn the ignition to on but dont start the car, wait about 6 seconds or till the door beeping stops if the door is open. Then you ground tc then ab then tc then ab within .5 - 1 second intervals. and finally you ground tc and hold it there till you see the airbag light flash rapidly to confirm the clearing of the light. now you disconnect everything and your done.

The thing causes most people to not get it is becuase they are using a bad ground or your 2 wires arent exactly connected to the tc ab correctly(used method mentioned above to make sure its connected right). Most people think they aren't getting it becuase thier timing was off but i dont think timing really matters that much you have .5 seconds as room for error so it's not that hard to get the first few tries. I think i couldnt get it the first few 100 tries because i didnt use a thick enough ground wire and i didnt ground at a good spot. The best spot is obviously directly at the battery. I hope i was of some help to those who still cant get it to this day or for those who may have to do it in the future.
Old 04-05-05, 04:27 AM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

well, i've got 2 cars cleared out in 3 tries
the trick for me was not to wait too long between wire changes, you have to swithch wires real fast
when i did Tc+E2 it flashed me a 14, everywhere i've read it said that only 22 can be cleared, but i had done it on a 92 SC4 and on my SC3
and the black bolts in the door hinge work just fine for the ground
Old 04-03-06, 10:18 PM
sprucegoos
Driver School Candidate

Who is Stee Hanz? I need a manual 2 man. How much?
Old 08-23-09, 08:06 PM
okbobbo
Pole Position

Default Worked for me

I just did mine after reinstalling the cluster. Using two paper clips and a wire attached to the door spring bolt and alternately grounding tc and ab holding on tc. I was pleasantly surprised when the light began flashing! The timing seems critical. Do it pretty fast. it took about ten tries.
Old 09-13-09, 01:21 PM
okbobbo
Pole Position

Default Reinstall diagnostic plug

After being unable to replace the plug, I removed the panel. Just three screws. Then insert the plug in the panel and reinstall. Done.
Old 07-16-10, 04:28 PM
scorypy
Driver School Candidate

Default code 41...again

hi, i know that this is an older thread, but maybe someone know whats going on i have a 92 camry, an error 41 wont clear on the airbag light...even after the 3 blinking confirming that it should have cleard, after following the steps of connecting AB and TC any ideas what should i do next?

thank you!

Quick Reply: Help! AIR BAG light is on after battery change