Help! AIR BAG light is on after battery change

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-02, 10:24 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by RWC SC400
VQT,

I believe I did the 1st part of the proceedure correctly. But I will try it again. Maybe you could explain the second part again as I also did try it with no success. If you don't hear back from me for a few days it's because I am leaving on a business trip. But I haven't given up!

Thanks, RWC SC400
What don't you understand about clearing the light procedure? Uses two small paper clips one in Tc the other in AB. connect wires to each clips. The other end of wires connect to a sharp metal object (Test light probe works). Alternately touch the sharp point to ground within 0.5 sec. Touch Tc first....

Last edited by VQT; 05-09-02 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-20-04, 11:33 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VQT, are you saying that one end of the wires shoud be connected to 2 INDIVIDUAL paper clips and the other end of those 2 separate wires should be connected to one single point? or are they supposed to be 2 wires from start to finish and they never connect anywhere? I'm confused with your instructions. It seems that we're supposed to alternate between the TC and AB wires, but you wrote to connect them to one sharp point, could you please clarify?

Last edited by mikeloc24; 05-20-04 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-20-04, 03:22 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mikeloc24
VQT, are you saying that one end of the wires shoud be connected to 2 INDIVIDUAL paper clips and the other end of those 2 separate wires should be connected to one single point? or are they supposed to be 2 wires from start to finish and they never connect anywhere? I'm confused with your instructions. It seems that we're supposed to alternate between the TC and AB wires, but you wrote to connect them to one sharp point, could you please clarify?
"To clear the code connect two wires to Tc and AB of the DLC2. Turn the ignition to ACC or ON and wait ~6 sec. Start with Tc terminal, apply to body ground alternately to Tc and AB twice each in cycles of 1.0 +- 0.5 sec. (To accomplish this, you can connect the wires to the end of two paper clips, one stuck in the Tc and the other stuck in AB. the other end of the wires connect it to something metal and have sharp point so you can touch the metal body of the car. The bolts on the door hinge work fine for gounding.) Finally keep Tc to ground, if the clearing is done properly the AirBag light will blink in a 50msec (continously). If if did not, repeat the procedure"

Do what ever needed to have one wire connected to the teminal Tc and a second wire to terminal AB. Those are very small holes that's why I said used a couple small paper clips (straighten it out). At the other end of the two wires you need to touch the metal part of the car (grounded). How are you going to alternating grounded between the two wires? That's why I said connected the wires to two different sharp object so you can stick it thru the paint (near the door hinges)
Old 05-21-04, 09:59 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by VQT
"...the other end of the wires connect it to something metal and have sharp point so you can touch the metal body of the car. The bolts on the door hinge work fine for gounding.) Finally keep Tc to ground, if the clearing is done properly the AirBag light will blink in a 50msec (continously). If if did not, repeat the procedure"

...At the other end of the two wires you need to touch the metal part of the car (grounded). How are you going to alternating grounded between the two wires? That's why I said connected the wires to two different sharp object so you can stick it thru the paint (near the door hinges)
Viet, That's what I'm trying to clarify. I did the paper clip thing and had 2 separate wires running from the TC and AB of the DLC2 (I unscrewed the DLC2 so I could maneuver it a little better, that damn interior is small!), then I took the ends of the 2 separate wires (one end in each hand) and alternated touching the outer ring of the cig lighter (with actual lighter removed of course, as if I was a little drumer with my wires). I did the "wait 6 secs after turning ignition to ACC" then started with the TC..AB..TC..AB...then finally held it on TC...the airbag light disappeared for about 9 seconds while holding on the final TC then flashed twice, then a pause, then 2 more flashes indicating code 22. Except once I hold on the final TC then let it flash twice and release, the light comes right back. I was wondering what I was doing wrong? Am I holding the ends on ground too long? I read to hold for 1/2 a second to 1 full second for each turn. Do I need to remove the key and start all over from the absolute beginning with each attempt or can I just keep trying the sequence until it works? Sorry to be a bug with these questions but this light MUST GO and I refuse to pay a dealer to do it...Thanks for any and all help
Old 05-21-04, 10:37 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Try again from the start. also try larger ground point, metal part that connect to the whole car frame (the door hinge). Took me a while to get it right too, more than three tried If I remember correctly...
Old 05-21-04, 12:00 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

I'll try again tonite and post my results...good or bad...wish me luck as I attempt to defeat this accursed light!
Old 05-21-04, 12:06 PM
2jzsc3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard that the airbags should be working fine if the air bag light warning is lit up because of disconnecting the battery. I just took out the cluster and removed the bulb.. took me a quick 5 minutes max...
Old 05-21-04, 12:40 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

I can't take that chance Ken, I have to defeat the light through more conventional means. Removal of the bulb also means removal of your SRS problem indicator (how will you know if the system has a problem?). I haven't been involved in an accident (thank God) in years upon years, but in the event that I am in one I need these things to be functioning properly so I have the best chance for survival. I can always go get another SC, I can't get another spine or skull (I already tried)
Old 05-21-04, 12:59 PM
2jzsc3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mikeloc24
I can't take that chance Ken, I have to defeat the light through more conventional means. Removal of the bulb also means removal of your SRS problem indicator (how will you know if the system has a problem?). I haven't been involved in an accident (thank God) in years upon years, but in the event that I am in one I need these things to be functioning properly so I have the best chance for survival. I can always go get another SC, I can't get another spine or skull (I already tried)
yeah thats true. Now you're making me wanna throw the bulb back in.. haha
Old 05-21-04, 01:36 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

It scared the ish outta me to find out that the damn air bags may not deploy in the event of an accident if that light is on..."may or may not deploy" is what I was told...that was enough to jolt me into action. I've been trying to reset the damn thing for the past 3 days now (taking about an hour and a 1/2 each day). I think I'm getting closer and in the event I'm successful I'll let you know what I did...I just refuse to take my car to the "**** intruder" aka dealer.

Last edited by mikeloc24; 05-21-04 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-22-04, 05:19 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

The procedures I typed was copied from the shop manual except the one I said about how to connect the two terminals to two wires. Follow it very carefully and make sure you do get to ground each time for the alternating ground. Like the manual read, if it doesn't work try again... Have you check the trouble code to make sure everything is alright yet?
Old 05-24-04, 11:25 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Everything's fine with the system, it was set off by driving without the cluster. It's a code 22 (2 blinks then a pause followed by 2 more blinks of the airbag light). What part of the door hinge are you using as a grounding point? The hinge? When I used the outer rim of the lighter socket the airbag light goes away anytime I ground the TC wire, but once I go through the whole "TC..AB..TC..AB..hold on TC" the airbag light disappears for about 9 seconds then reappears. Very frustrating. My issue has to be somewhere in the grounding or in the timing of the alternating touches. How long are you waiting between each "TC..AB" before you begin the second cycle? I know this sounds idiotic but this damn light is like a hemorrhoid to me at this point...I can't enjoy my new cluster until I defeat this light!!!!!
Old 05-24-04, 01:23 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

In three years, I have chaged the battery twice, and disconnected it for several audio upgrades as well. Last week, I even changed airbags. I have never received an airbag warning light. I would get my car to a tech, either Lexus, Toyota, or an independent, so they could hook up a diagnostic computer to it ASAP. There could be a problem with the bag. Don't compromise your safety. I'd say your life is worth $100 or less to get the SRS checked.
Old 05-24-04, 02:27 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

I thought that as well, but my car is in EXCELLENT condition (I don't say that lightly either, I say that based on meeting a few other SC owners and also looking at the SC's of fellow CL members, the condition of my 92 is unlike any other I've seen to date) so I doubt I have any issues with the SRS system, I know I caused the light to come on by driving around with the cluster removed. When you did all this removing and installing most likely you didn't drive the car in the meantime (kinda impossible with the battery disconnected eh?). But I understand what you're saying. I feel confident saying I should be able to clear this myself without any unnecessary charges from the dealer. As I stated, there's nothing wrong with the system, I most likely am not grounding it properly. Thanks though, and it's not really about the $100, I just would rather give it to a stripper or lose it in a bar so I at least get something for my money, I never have pleasant experiences with the dealer because their first motivation is "get his money", not "solve his problem" I hate those jerk-offs and try never to deal with them.

Last edited by mikeloc24; 05-24-04 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-24-04, 02:57 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Drving without the cluster will lite up the airbag warning, so if you feel confident the SRS is OK, then go ahead and reset it. I never tried to drive my car with anything removed because I have a couple of other vehicles to use, so if the Lex is down for a few days, no big deal. Besides, I don't want to have to deal with resetting stuff if I don't have to. I feel the same way you do about Lex dealer service, so I go to Toyota, or an independent. However, I would rather spend my $100 on pizza, beer and strippers too.

Quick Reply: Help! AIR BAG light is on after battery change