SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 with salvaged title?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-09, 08:41 AM
wrightbenz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
You can get it off with a high speed buffer and some cutting compound. It takes some time and patience. You can also use a dremel tool to remove it. I warn you that if you do it, the gold might come back through a little, and it might give it a not so chrome look. Thats what happened to my exhaust tips. It might not do that to yours. I would some ditch the gold ones and get a new set of chrome ones. JMO.

There is also a DIY on here by Scotturnot for removing with a dremel tool.

Thats a nice car, and it looks great!

I may give it a shot and if it doesn't work out I can pick up some new ones. I see some on Ebay but they are plastic. Has anyone tried these?
Old 10-05-09, 03:36 PM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Curious? Have you registered the car yet? I have heard stories about folks trying to register salvage cars that the DMV required all sorts of documentation proving safety of the car etc etc and all sorts of hoops to jump through. You experience anything like that?
Old 10-05-09, 06:03 PM
wrightbenz
Rookie

Originally Posted by RolxuSC400
Curious? Have you registered the car yet? I have heard stories about folks trying to register salvage cars that the DMV required all sorts of documentation proving safety of the car etc etc and all sorts of hoops to jump through. You experience anything like that?

Yes the car is registered. It is actually a rebuilt title, so the car had to go through some kind of state inspection at some point. I am very happy with the car. It was definitely hit in the right rear quarter but it was repaired very well. The pearl paint matches perfectly which is difficult to do.
Old 10-08-09, 09:54 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its okay my sc300 was salvage too but its still one of the best looking scs around my area.. and i have had no problems for the past 3 years i have owned it.. i believe in buying salvage cars for yourself you save so much money for mods.. just get it checked out correctly and u take the savings at the end. I think way too many people are afraid of salvage cars.... they would be surprized how many of their ""clean"" titled cars were HIT and repaired off record... =/
Old 10-08-09, 10:23 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Did you find the car off auction site or private own?
Old 10-09-09, 06:08 AM
wrightbenz
Rookie

Originally Posted by horent135
Did you find the car off auction site or private own?

Car came from a private party. I agree there are some good buys on rebuilt cars. The insurance companies write these things off with very little damage these days. I am sure that 10 years ago this car would have just been repaired. So what is a rebuilt title anyway, it's just a car that was in an accident that the insurance company decided it could sell and pay off the owner for less than the repair. I am very happy with the car! I got a 97 with a well documented 68k miles on it for $5200.00, I saved a lot of money and get to enjoy a very nice car.
Old 10-09-09, 10:21 AM
steelcitys
Driver School Candidate

Mine has a salvage cert. I bought it out of impound the car had no real damage .On my salvage certificate it said abandon vehicle.
Old 10-09-09, 12:39 PM
trancuongv
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wrightbenz
Car came from a private party. I agree there are some good buys on rebuilt cars. The insurance companies write these things off with very little damage these days. I am sure that 10 years ago this car would have just been repaired. So what is a rebuilt title anyway, it's just a car that was in an accident that the insurance company decided it could sell and pay off the owner for less than the repair. I am very happy with the car! I got a 97 with a well documented 68k miles on it for $5200.00, I saved a lot of money and get to enjoy a very nice car.
Congrats on the buy, but they replaced your taillights with the older model, 92-94 and also used the older version rear bumper. time to get some 97-00 taillights and 97-00 rear bumper with extensions then you will have yourself the completed look again.
Old 10-09-09, 01:19 PM
wrightbenz
Rookie

Originally Posted by cuonggs300
Congrats on the buy, but they replaced your taillights with the older model, 92-94 and also used the older version rear bumper. time to get some 97-00 taillights and 97-00 rear bumper with extensions then you will have yourself the completed look again.

I was waiting for someone to notice that! you are the winner. To be honest I didn't notice until I had the car a couple of days since I wasn't that familiar with them.
I have already started looking for the tails and a bumper with extensions. Will I need a different light harness also? The one that is on the car looks to be correct to the lights.
Old 10-09-09, 02:18 PM
Girly TT
Rookie

Originally Posted by Carfreak70

Also while you are there...look at the Cash for Clunkers vehicles. I was under the impression they were getting CRUSHED?
anyone with a dealer or salvage license can buy a cash for clunkers cars (check your local junkyards, there's tons of them there). However, from my understanding, they have 30 days to pick apart the car, and then show proof of destruction, and the engine may not be sold.

On topic... salvage cars are fine, as long as you know what you're getting into, and what you're working with.

I've owned quite a few salvage history cars over the years, and never had any issues at all with them. The SC I'm currently looking at has a salvage title, but my boyfriend owns a performance shop, and he has a full-time body guy working for him, so, it's a non-issue for me, and I know the cost of fixing the problems.

However, I am VERY wary of buying someone elses' rebuilt/salvaged car. You do not know the quality of the fix. Ask for documentation/pictures of the car before and after being fixed. And bring it to a trusted mechanics shop to look it over, and inspect the part(s) of the car that were repaired.
Old 11-11-09, 10:28 PM
speed6
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a friend who buys only slighly wrecked ones and sells them for good prices.
i was lucky to get my 5 speed, with a dented fender and a broken upper control arm for dirt cheap. i found a fender of the same color(lucky) and a upper control arm at the junkyard for less than 60 bucks. the one at the junkyard had a new fan clutch blade and shroud so i got those too. ive had it for 3 years now, modded the hell out of it and the only thing that needs changing is the head gasket, it has 220k, and i drift it at the track and daily drive
Old 11-11-09, 10:30 PM
speed6
Lead Lap

once the air bag goes off, it's a salvage title. my cousin went through a dip too hard in her tiberoun? too fast and the airbag popped. instant salvage
Old 11-12-09, 01:33 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by speed6
once the air bag goes off, it's a salvage title. my cousin went through a dip too hard in her tiberoun? too fast and the airbag popped. instant salvage
not true

just because an airbag pops out doesn't mean that it has a salvaged title.
it depends on the value of the car and the amount of money it costs to repair everything back to normal.
Old 11-12-09, 04:14 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Heh... I got a kinda excited. My old '95 SC400 was 'salvaged' when I was rear ended. The last time I checked, someone bought it and was in Illinois according to carfax. Man... that engine was running better than when I had originally bought it (back in '99 or so).
Old 11-12-09, 05:24 PM
1KhpWrx
Lead Lap

There is nothing wrong with a salvage car if you know what to look for.

Quick Reply: SC400 with salvaged title?