SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Problems with 1994 Lexus SC300

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-09, 12:48 AM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with 1994 Lexus SC300

So, I just bought this 94 SC300 with 111,500 miles on it from a guy in Texas and drove it all the way back to Maryland where I live with no problems on the way home. The car ran very strong and smooth the whole way. It was about a 1300 mile trip continuous driving; only stopping to fill up the gas tank along the way. The guy that sold me the car told me a couple of problems before I paid him for the car such as the driver's side inside door handle was snapped off and super glued back on (looks pretty decent for what it is), you can hear that the antenna motor works but for some reason the antenna looks a little bent and won't go up and down when you turn the key on and off, etc. He also said that the car leaks oil from some part on the motor he couldn't ever figure out but it is only a couple of drops when the car sits overnight or longer. I also noticed under the car it looks almost as if my catalytic converter is giving off smoke, and I know that is definitely not good. I haven't gotten the car inspected in Maryland yet since I have 30 days to do so. I know that if I get this car inspected that it will not pass inspection or emissions testing as of right now, so I am trying to figure out how to diagnose and possibly fix some of the relatively easy things that are wrong with the car before getting it inspected. I know that the oil leaking may be a job for the local Lexus dealership to do, as well as the problem with some part of the exhaust in the middle of the car (looks like the catalytic converter) giving off smoke. The dash's gauge needles are also almost burnt out which I know is notorious in these cars, the temperature gauge needle is completely burnt out and the speedometer one flickers from time to time. I also noticed that I have to hit the top of the dash lightly for my speedometer needle to start moving while the car is moving, otherwise it just stays at 0 mph while the car is in motion. When I put on the brakes or turn signals or use anything else power wise in the car, the interior lights and headlights/foglights dim really bad. The turn signals flash really fast every time I try to use them as well. The steering wheel motor that allows you to adjust the steering wheel position only goes in/out, it does not go up/down when trying to adjust it, instead the motor grinds and makes a loud whining noise when trying to move it up/down. Also, I think this is the last thing that I know is wrong with the car so far, is that the windows, and sunroof open and shut very slowly, which is probably from the window and sunroof motors being so old and almost completely worn out, which is probably normal I would assume.

My questions to you guys are:
1.) Does anyone know how to fix some of these problems?
2.) Are any of these problems that I listed above notorious in these cars (besides the gauge/needle lights)?
3.) Should I take my car to get it inspected and looked at by my local Lexus dealership since they are probably the most experienced with these cars, and can give me the best answers/support compared to some punk kids that work at Jiffy Lube?
4.) Would most of these problems be fixable by my local Lexus dealership and how much would they cost, roughly?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-09, 02:09 AM
Ryeno
Banned

I really wouldnt pay the local lexus dealership to do any work, odds are it would cost you more then the car is worth.

For the needles, well there is this one guy on here who can fix them for a cost but its dicey, his reviews are 50/50.

For the exhaust, well since you are in md and have no problem driving down to tx, i am sure you wouldnt mind driving to aliga ( he is our local parts vender) I think he is in MD or NY, that area tho. Just buy the clogged cat off him and swap it on. He can probably help you out with the other broken parts as well.'

As for the lights dimming, thats a common problem on these cars. The fix is doing the big 3 upgrade.

And the hyperblinking turn signal means either your bulb is burnt out or that person upgraded the tail lights.
Old 09-06-09, 08:28 AM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Well, while I definitely agree with you on the idea that the local Lexus dealership would be way too expensive, I will at least definitely get them to look at it and inspect it because they will definitely be able to give me the best opinion/answers/support about the car since what they specialize in is Lexus's. I can do A LOT of this work myself which isn't an issue.

For the needles/interior lights - can I just upgrade everything to leds?

What would you recommend if I were to replace everything from the headers back to the end of the car with a completely new exhaust?

I also had a feeling about the dimming of the lights on these cars being notorious. I will definitely upgrade the big 3 and see if that helps. I will search for the thread on how to do this, I'm sure there is one on here.

And the turn signals blinking really fast when I turn them on to use them is because the guy said he did something to them but I didn't really understand him completely. I think he said he tried to upgrade to LEDs or something. Not sure.
Old 09-06-09, 10:53 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since your SC's motor shares the same as the Supra NA, you could take it to the Toyota stealership instead of the Lexus one and save a bit of $$$.
Old 09-06-09, 12:57 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

any pics of the car?
Old 09-06-09, 01:38 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For the steering wheel, look here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ng-repair.html

Worked like a charm for me!
Old 09-07-09, 12:37 AM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Great guys! Thanks for the help/suggestions! I actually called the guy I bought it from today and he said that the turn signals flash very fast because of the swap that was done to the car. I think he said the owner before him put 96-97+ front/rear bumpers and tail lights on it and it required some kind of modification to the wiring for the bulbs to fit. Not sure how that works, since I am completely new to this car and imports for that matter. I usually work on GM vehicles and have just switched interest into imports recently. I will post pics tomorrow sometime. Not to mention, the car came with 19" chrome aftermarket wheels that don't look TOO bad but I need to take a picture of those so you guys can tell me what kind of wheels they are since the center caps on them are gold Lexus logos and I have NO idea what kind of wheels they are. There isn't any markings on them such as a brand name or anything.

Last edited by ALLWiTE2JZ; 09-07-09 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-07-09, 12:54 AM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Actually guys, here are some pics of my car, I forgot I had these.

What kind of wheels are these? I have absolutely no idea lol.

And also, what is modified on this car? What isn't original on my car that usually comes on a 94?

Last edited by ALLWiTE2JZ; 09-07-09 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-07-09, 01:23 AM
Jay-Balrog
Driver

wheels are aftermarket obviously. and the front bumper is from the 97+ seems stock otherwise.

far as your antenna. aslong as you arent deep in the woods somewhere far from radio stations you should recieve signal no problem even if it isnt extended.

whatever you do dont take it to lexus... if you MUST go the dealership route. go to a toyota dealership. theyll still rape you. but they wont do it as hard.
Old 09-07-09, 09:55 AM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Okay, cool thanks. Are these tail lights stock or not? Anyone know?
Old 09-07-09, 11:41 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Those taillights came off of a 95....which is why the turn signals are crazy fast.

I don't believe the 95+ came with a flasher relay like the 92-94 so that's why? Iono correct me if I'm wrong. There's a DIY on here about how to fix the hyperblink

Here's what an un-modded 94 looks like:

Last edited by ThomasGS4; 09-07-09 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-07-09, 01:15 PM
dunahoo
Pole Position

the oil leak may be coming from the distributor o-ring...
Old 09-07-09, 08:03 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Anyone have any idea what kind of wheels I have on my car? The pic of the wheels is above.
Old 09-09-09, 08:57 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

My driver's side inside door handle broke off again after it was super glued back on. Does anyone have DIY or information on how to put a new one on if I buy a new handle? Or is it more trouble than it's worth to do?
Old 09-09-09, 09:38 PM
Ryeno
Banned

to get rid of the hyperblink you have to add 2 resistors (in parallel to the stock turn signal bulb) to each tail light harness. I made a DIY about this.

Also i wouldnt recommend a full exhaust unless you are turbo.

@1UZ-SC if you are going to be rolling with a front lic plate please get the oem lic plate mount. I'm sure aliga has a stock pile of them.

Quick Reply: Problems with 1994 Lexus SC300