SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Looking at 98' 300, both windows/mirrors don't work. Actuators+switch, or worse?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-14, 12:55 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Looking at 98' 300, both windows/mirrors don't work. Actuators+switch, or worse?

Hi,
I'm looking at a 98' 300 to buy, Both windows don't go up and down and electric mirrors don't work.
I know the actuators go on these cars, but I have never seen both go at the same time along with the mirrors.. The seller says something was spilled on the switches but I think it is another problem as the both don't work and the power mirrors are out as well. It could just be both actuators, but that seems unlikely with the mirrors out as well. What do the switches connect to? Is there an ECU that could be bad or have shorted out? What are the possibilities of what is broken/shorted?
What is the absolute worst case scenario?

Thanks
Old 07-22-14, 02:45 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dunno about the worst case scenario, but easiest thing to check would be the fuse.
Old 07-22-14, 02:46 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I would guess wiring, Have you ever taken a door panel off and looked at how it all connects? It's pretty easy to pop the window/lock switches out (although, my pass. side switch was @#$! hot glued in place) to look inside and see if it's something as simple as someone worked on it previously and forgot to plug them back in.

Do the power locks work from the driver's switch?
Old 07-22-14, 02:55 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mirrors have an ECU that is apparently a nightmare to replace due to it's position behind the dash. Very hard spot to get to, might be easier to dislocate harness, and mount new/used ecu in new location under dash, and leave the old one where it is provided you can even disconnect it without removing too many other items. I believe Raine's thread had pictures/tutorial.
Old 07-22-14, 03:31 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by t2d2
I would guess wiring, Have you ever taken a door panel off and looked at how it all connects? It's pretty easy to pop the window/lock switches out (although, my pass. side switch was @#$! hot glued in place) to look inside and see if it's something as simple as someone worked on it previously and forgot to plug them back in.

Do the power locks work from the driver's switch?
Good question, I have not had hands on yet. The car is out of town. I just text'ed the owner about the locks. Thanks
Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Dunno about the worst case scenario, but easiest thing to check would be the fuse.
You are so right. That's what I am hoping for!
Originally Posted by Biddles
Mirrors have an ECU that is apparently a nightmare to replace due to it's position behind the dash. Very hard spot to get to, might be easier to dislocate harness, and mount new/used ecu in new location under dash, and leave the old one where it is provided you can even disconnect it without removing too many other items. I believe Raine's thread had pictures/tutorial.
I really don't care about the mirrors really, as long as I can get the windows working.
Thanks Biddles!
Old 07-22-14, 05:13 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

I would check the wiring between the door and the cabin. The wires get cut with age when you open and close the door. My passenger window didn't work for the longest time, and when I pulled that harness out I noticed the wire was cut and a few others were damaged.
Old 07-22-14, 05:20 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I would check the wiring between the door and the cabin. The wires get cut with age when you open and close the door. My passenger window didn't work for the longest time, and when I pulled that harness out I noticed the wire was cut and a few others were damaged.
Awesome! I'll check that!
Thank you BX!