SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New windshield but disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-09, 07:26 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New windshield but disappointed

I got a stone chip couple of days ago and I had it replaced with 'oem replacement' WS and paid $240. I guess you get what you pay for. Brand is called FYG. Didn't notice anything until I started getting headaches whenever I drive more than 10 minutes. So I carefully examined the glass and there was lot of wavy lines on it. I'd like to switch to oem but new one is expensive. The mobile service company is suppose to look at it in couple of days but I'm thinking maybe I should get a used oem and not look back. Is there a reason not to use a used WS? It's driving me nuts! I'd stay away from aftermarket WS's from now on. Anyone have experience with used WS's? TIA
Old 07-15-09, 07:33 PM
Vortes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine was aftermarket, guy came to my house and installed it, its great, even fixed the rust above the windshield. Im not positive but i dont think you can use a used windshield.
Old 07-15-09, 07:34 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Ive seen some aftermarket windshields and those waves are pretty ugly looking. It would bug the crap out of me. OEM is that way to go, but damn are those expensive. I still have the original windshield on my car but it has no cracks on it, just pitted from small debris. Would love to get a new windshield though.
Old 07-15-09, 08:00 PM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

When i bought my car i had no chips on my hood or windshield. In two years i have gotten 4 major chips on the windshield and probably twice that many on the hood. I am NOT happy about it.

Will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread though because there is a place here that said they'd replace the windshield for $250
Old 07-15-09, 09:07 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

I payed $160 for PPG glass which is comparable to OEM since PPG makes glass for Lexus.
Old 07-15-09, 09:19 PM
KA8
Instructor

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
I payed $160 for PPG glass which is comparable to OEM since PPG makes glass for Lexus.
The company claims that FYG is also a distributor for Lexus
They said it has life time warranty against manufacturer defects but I won't be surprised if they say that's how it is.
Old 07-15-09, 09:22 PM
KA8
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vortes
mine was aftermarket, guy came to my house and installed it, its great, even fixed the rust above the windshield. Im not positive but i dont think you can use a used windshield.
That's what I thought too. But if it can't be used then why are salvage yards selling them? I found several in socal. Definitely will call them to see what condition they're in.
Old 07-15-09, 10:46 PM
fliptrix
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
hm that sounds pretty good, and i'm in need of a new windshield since mine is really pitted all over. So that's 160 just for the glass right? How much would I be looking at to have it installed?
Old 07-16-09, 05:50 PM
KA8
Instructor

UPDATE:
They came back and installed PPG and it's total CRAP. It's not any better than FYG. I used ASAP Auto glass based in Riverside. Buyer beware. They have terrible service. Long story short I thought I was paying for the difference but wanted me to pay $160 more on top of 240. The tech made a blemish on my dashboard and they still had the ***** to demand full $160. Expensive lesson learned. Always stick with OEM windshield. If you have cracks on your oem, repair it with liquid resin.

Even though PPG makes lexus windshields they're not same. There's a reason lexus charges so much for oem and now I know.
Old 07-16-09, 06:01 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sorry to hear bro... get glass insurance...it's so friggin' CHEAP!
its the only advice i have for this situation....even though it wont get you OEM, you wont have to pay chunk out of pocket....
Old 07-17-09, 06:38 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got an aftermarket windshield as well, I got the guys at Safelite to install it. It's an OEE (OEM Equivalent) windshield, so it's not gonna be as good. the one I got is actually not that bad, you can only see the waves when you look to the side at an angle, otherwise, I don't notice it at all. I don't know what brand it is though.
Old 07-17-09, 07:18 AM
KA8
Instructor

Originally Posted by romeo291
I got an aftermarket windshield as well, I got the guys at Safelite to install it. It's an OEE (OEM Equivalent) windshield, so it's not gonna be as good. the one I got is actually not that bad, you can only see the waves when you look to the side at an angle, otherwise, I don't notice it at all. I don't know what brand it is though.
The waves on PPG is actually worse than the FYG brand. I guess not all windshield are same from same manufacturer. Search is still on for good used oem. I can let it slide and get used to it but I don't drive the SC all the time it'll give me headaches whenever I do drive the SC.

Last edited by KA8; 07-17-09 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-17-09, 08:35 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Sorry to hear. My oem glass on my Mercedes CLK430 did this. I never noticed, but my mother mentioned it once while riding with me. I can see a little bit of wave with my glass on my IS300 if I pay very close attention.
Old 07-17-09, 08:47 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i like pilkington and ppg glass
Old 11-15-13, 01:15 PM
Murco
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old thread, but worth updating...
I got my "new-to-me" 1996 SC400 last night and WOW, I didn't realize just how bad these windshields can be for waviness! My 1992 has a Pilkington windshield and looks like it's been sand-blasted when driving into direct sunlight during early morning or late afternoon driving. I don't know if it's the original windshield but it has certainly been in there for a long time. What it does not have the waviness this new car's PPG glass has! Now I'm searching for a Pilkington windshield for the 1996 car. So far, no luck.
A friend of mine was a district rep for Safelite a few years ago, he said that the factory installed glass is extremely high quality but very rarely available as a replacement part. The glass manufacturers make them strictly for the OEM manufacturer contracts and once the cars go out of production they sell the blueprints and rights aftermarket glass replacement (AGR) companies to make them. Unfortunately they typically make them in China and the quality is even worse for older cars as they don't update molds very often, If at all. He knew of no USA or Japan-based manufacturers for replacement glass and only 3 companies that sell any replacement windshields in the USA - Pilkington, PPG (PGW), and one other he couldn't remember.
So... I'm hoping to find a Pilkington like on my 1992 and I hope it's still the same quality!

Quick Reply: New windshield but disappointed