SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Dash lights out? I got the quick fix!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-02, 07:10 AM
closet mechanic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash lights out? I got the quick fix!

'Sup?!

So I'm at the Lexus dealership getting my sc4 worked on, but I don't want to pay $300+ for replacing 2 dash bulbs (which cost only $5 a piece). I ask the service rep if I can talk to a service tech about pulling the dash apart, and "Jeff" comes out to help me out.

He quietly asks under his breath "where's the car?" Hmm... I have an exploded view of the dash that I got from the parts department; why not just show me on the diagram? Well, we make it over to the car, and he says "I'm not supposed to tell you this, but if you just bang the dash a few times the lights will probably come back on." Sure enough... a few good thwacks and whala all eight bulbs are workin' just fine. So, save yourself the bucks and give it a good wack!

Cya,
-s
Old 04-03-02, 08:10 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hehe this worked several times on my rear taillight and domelight

yet sadly they are off and won't come back on anymore
Old 04-03-02, 11:05 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default ...of course, it could have worked the other way, too....

Glad to hear that worked for you, closet mechanic, but if banging the dash will knock a loose bulb back in, might it not also knock another loose bulb out, too?

I'm just asking here, since I've been very fortunate not to have any dash lights go out yet (knock on wood).

But if and when they do, I'm wondering what is involved in opening up the dash enough to get at those bulbs. I sure don't want to pay the dealer $300+, if I can do it myself. I've seen many Clublexus threads on how to remove the rear seat, the door panels and the center console, but none on how dash board is opened up.
Old 04-03-02, 03:29 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PERRYinLA, here is how to open up the dash board. I dont remember who posted before, I have copied to my note pad.
but it's easy job. you can do it. #4 is pain. take your time.

(copy from other members)
1. Put the key in, shift the steering wheel out and down as far as it will go to give maximum clearance. Make sure the auto button is not pressed in. Now take out the key without the wheel moving. This is important, because if you need to put the key back to start the car, you will get an airbag warning light if done while the instrument panel is removed. This can be a pain in the *** to clear later.
2. Pull out the piece with the clock buttons and dimmer switch. You will need to pull hard! Disconnect the plugs.
3. Now there are 4 screws that hold in the instrument panel. 2 that are covered by plugs at the top and 2 that were behind the piece removed in step 2. Notice the 2 plugs at top, they have a very small notch in the bottom of them to place a very small screwdriver in to pop them out (if you scratch them up they can be purchased from Lexus, part # LX 83179-24010 for $1.87 US). Be careful not to lose the two screws at the bottom when you screw them out (I used needle nose pliers to guide them out at the end).
4. Now as you slide out the instrument cluster, you will find 3 plugs attached. These are very difficult to remove. I suggest using a wide flat head screwdriver to push down on the "lever" part of the plug.
5. Once removed, turn the unit screen side down and unscrew the white part (should be only about 4 screws).
6. Now you will need to remove the "second layer" of white plastic to reach the bulbs. This has many (about 14) screws and three ribbon cables. Pull up on the back piece around the ribbon cables to detach.
7. Now you can see the green plugs that illuminate the gauges, you may also access all the other lights from here. There are 8 bulbs that llight up the instrument gauges. You will want to replace all of them! This is because by removing the unit you jostle the other bulbs, and if they are old too, they will burn out. I had this happen and the Lexus dealer told me the same thing.
8. The bulbs are part # LX 83119-24570 for $5.45 US each and the green sockets # LX 83101-24010 are $1.98 US each. This is a bit expensive, but I felt it was worth saving myself the labor at a later date. If anyone can find a Toyota equivalent part and save some money it would be worth looking into, Toshiba makes the bulbs.
9. Replace unit using the same procedure as above. Be certain to not start the car without the instrument panel connected as you will get the airbag light mentioned above.

When I installed those lights, some of them didn't turn on, so I banged the dash, it worked!
I haven't screwed back for the platic cover (I can take out anytime) because I'm waiting for dead needles replacement...someday :P
Old 04-03-02, 03:49 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks, Taka- you're as helpful as they get!

While I usually don't like to clog up these forums with "thank you's" (I hope everyone knows they are always implied), I'll make an exception for Taka, who is quite the archiver!

While I appreciate seeing the procedure, I'll bet you know what I mean when I say I hope I never have to use them!
Old 04-03-02, 11:12 PM
Aloha400
Driver School Candidate

Default it sure helps me

thanks closet mechanic, it works for me. i smack it twice with open palm and it came back on.. you sure save me a couple of bucks, now if i can just o fix my ac led(missing half of display) any idea???

RJ
Old 04-04-02, 10:10 AM
cupete
Pole Position

Dude,

Thanks a lot, one of my bulb was out and it was bothering me a lot. This morning I gave it a try and knocked (not hard) on the plastic panel twice and guess what? It came back alive.

One thing, what Perry said got me thinking and I am constantly worrying about the light going bad again.

Peter~
Old 04-28-02, 07:53 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

ooooh, i've just searched for this post. my brake light just went out. just the right one in the rear. can i simply give it a good wack?
Old 04-28-02, 03:26 PM
SCV8
Instructor

My dash lights had a non contributing bulb after the tree fell and colapsed my roof,but after a few days it came back on again to my surprise.It's been a few months and so far so good.
Old 04-28-02, 11:05 PM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Taka,

I wrote that procedure over at Ladman.com a long time ago. Glad you found it! Now I can copy it again so I won't loose it.

Glad someone could benefit from it!

Ryan