SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

~Anyone ever have their wheels widened?~

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-09, 06:59 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ~Anyone ever have their wheels widened?~

Just a bit curious. Is there anyone out there that has had their wheels widened? Stock or aftermarket. If yes can I get a few pics of the barrel and some feedback. My manager is having his aftermarket wheels widened from a 8" width to a 10" on his Jaguar. Im thinking about having a couple inches added to my rears but am a bit concerned about leaks and possible vibration issues.
Old 04-14-09, 07:02 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

I saw someone post their stretched wheels recently. It would be awesome if I could remember where.
Old 04-14-09, 07:03 PM
LEXSTASY
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow i never even knew you could do that, this thread is definitely interesting to me too
BUMP!
Old 04-14-09, 07:08 PM
ecstaticSC
Racer

Here's a shop that widens wheels

http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/
Old 04-14-09, 07:34 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if they could do it to forged wheels?
Old 04-14-09, 09:16 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

sorry to be retarded, but why would you widen wheels? for example, tock wheels, why would you widen them??
Old 04-14-09, 09:55 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Amini9
sorry to be retarded, but why would you widen wheels? for example, tock wheels, why would you widen them??
wider wheels = wider tires = more traction and better takeoff
Old 04-14-09, 10:15 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you check over at Supraforums there are several guys that have widen their wheels..
Old 04-14-09, 10:57 PM
camberSC
Lexus Champion

http://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-t...ck-wheels.html
Old 04-14-09, 11:11 PM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

i always wondered how safe that would be.....
doesnt this throw off the balance???
Old 04-14-09, 11:11 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

my dad use to do this back in the day in the old country, former ussr. he worked at a tank factory and had all the equipment at his disposal. they use to wide the 15" wheels to the massive 8" from stock 5". lol.

it is safe to do if it is done right.

this past winter i did some research for a local company that manufactured wheels for off-highway front end loaders and alike. majority of the customers are heavy machinery including Caterpillar.

from testing majority of the stress on the wheel, about 70%, comes from inflation pressures themselves. the rest is the actual loading of the weight and such.

basically saying that if you widen your wheels and they safely stand up to the inflated pressures you should be fine.

the best way to do this is to machine a bit ring that is the desired width and proper diameter. also have a step on it to center the parts. then you weld it together. this will ensure more proper uni-axial alignment and best chance for it to balance afterwards.

if you want to "widen" wheels properly you should have a set of 3-piece wheels and replace the halves to get the desired width and offset

how much do people charge for this kind of service anyways?
Old 04-15-09, 01:54 AM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It is a popular process that has been done numerous times as long as the wheel is a multi-piece wheel. Here are my Bersaglio Mesh wheels that I think started out as 19x9.5 and are now 19x11.5. I picked these up from RB wheels not to long ago.

Barrels galore

You can also re-barrel a smaller wheel and make them larger such as making a 15 inch wheel into a step lip 16 inch and in some cases a 17 inch wheel. Very pricey though, but if you're interested and have the money I can refer you to a person who does it in Irvine, CA.
Old 04-15-09, 02:08 AM
LEXSTASY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
my dad use to do this back in the day in the old country, former ussr. he worked at a tank factory and had all the equipment at his disposal. they use to wide the 15" wheels to the massive 8" from stock 5". lol.

it is safe to do if it is done right.

this past winter i did some research for a local company that manufactured wheels for off-highway front end loaders and alike. majority of the customers are heavy machinery including Caterpillar.

from testing majority of the stress on the wheel, about 70%, comes from inflation pressures themselves. the rest is the actual loading of the weight and such.

basically saying that if you widen your wheels and they safely stand up to the inflated pressures you should be fine.

the best way to do this is to machine a bit ring that is the desired width and proper diameter. also have a step on it to center the parts. then you weld it together. this will ensure more proper uni-axial alignment and best chance for it to balance afterwards.

if you want to "widen" wheels properly you should have a set of 3-piece wheels and replace the halves to get the desired width and offset

how much do people charge for this kind of service anyways?
There somewhere around a $170-$180 bucks a wheel. Much cheaper than buying a set of aftermarket wheels, thats for sure!
Old 04-15-09, 02:49 AM
status....
Lead Lap

the vw guys like to do it to steelies. my friends bug was rocking widened rears and narrowed fronts. machine shops should be able to do it but some may say no for liability reasons.

always wanted to widen some of my oldschool wheels for my hachi
Old 04-15-09, 05:07 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe you can ask this person any questions you may have.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3056793

He added more Lip, well worth the trouble in this case.

Quick Reply: ~Anyone ever have their wheels widened?~