SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Where\How Rear Windshield Wiper

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-09, 08:58 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [?] Where/How Rear Windshield Wiper?

I saw threads a while back after searching for the rear windshield wiper, and i want to add the rear windshield wiper to my sc4. I didn't see any threads on how to put it in a SC, or how to make it so it would actually work, etc.

any info on this? where would i buy this 'product'?

thanks guys.

Last edited by Amini9; 04-14-09 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-05-09, 09:28 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you will have to buy the rear glass, wiper motor/arm assembly and get the relay box/ecu that controls it. you will also need a switch so a jdm soarer combination switch will suffice.

glass installation will be easy. any glass place will be able to do it for you. the motor most likely sits right in the middle so you will have to remove/replace/modify your third brake light cover in the rear deck.

the fun part will be the wiring. the combination switch wiring will most likely be same for the most part. the harness may even plug it. you will run into issue for the wiring of the wiper relay box. most likely it will be sent to you will just harness pig tails cut off. you will have to find the soarer manual and figure out what each wire is for.

it will be a tedious process. on top of it all i think you will have to make a harness that will run from the combination switch all the way to the back of the car to the wiper motor.

dont take my word of all of this. i have not done this mod but i have done a lot of thinking and planning for it. you can find JHot selling soarer rear window conversions for cheap. the cost of shipping is a killer. what i have seen they include all the electronics to make it work. you just have to sit down and sort out what goes where.

im sure you can find a CL member from australia or new zealand that has a copy of the soarer manual in english in pdf format. gathering the service manual should be the first step in doing this modifications. you can figure out how much time this will take just by flipping through the manual and seeing the steps involved in removing/installing the window, wiper, and also find where the electronics are located or should be located.

start planning
Old 04-05-09, 09:34 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

it sounds like an extreme project.

not something i can do in a weekend

if any aussies or new zealanders or anyone that has a pdf format of the soarer, that would be great.

thanks for this info, i will def. use it if i decide to have enough ***** to do it!
Old 04-05-09, 09:36 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

you can always buy the window and have it installed. the wiper wont be functional til you get the wiring sorted out.

you dont necessarily have to do it one weekend.
Old 04-05-09, 09:41 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine on a sep. switch, if you get the JDM switch your turn signal arm will be on the opposing side, not something I wanted to get used too.
Old 04-05-09, 09:42 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
you can always buy the window and have it installed. the wiper wont be functional til you get the wiring sorted out.

you dont necessarily have to do it one weekend.
i am king of lazyness. if i dont get something done within a couple days, it usually sits.

but, thanks for the advice!
Old 04-05-09, 09:43 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

hmm i wonder if you could use the **** for the factory car stereo as the switch for the wiper ....

2.5tsoarer: what kind of switch did you use?? and do you have a write up on how you wired the wiper??
Old 04-05-09, 09:45 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2.5tsoarer
I have mine on a sep. switch, if you get the JDM switch your turn signal arm will be on the opposing side, not something I wanted to get used too.
jdm turn signals are on the right side of the wheel? interesting. didnt know that. doesnt sound like that much of an issue though really.

two weeks ago my buddy an r32 gtr skyline at his house for a detailing job. nice car. really fun. maybe thats why i didnt see him use the blinker a single time when he took me for a ride lol

hey 2.5....post some more info on this swap for people to see or some pictures of the wiring involved. im sure if its pretty straight forward more people would be willing to do it.
Old 04-05-09, 10:09 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

it's not worth it...all of that just for the Soarer wiper...i mean, the wiper is very JDM/Soarer, unique and cool but for me, personally, it wouldn't be worth it...i'd just get a Soarer (if i could )
Old 04-05-09, 10:28 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SClean4
it's not worth it...all of that just for the Soarer wiper...i mean, the wiper is very JDM/Soarer, unique and cool but for me, personally, it wouldn't be worth it...i'd just get a Soarer (if i could )
for me, its not for the looks.

in norcal, fog is pretty bad, and it gets cold overnight, then pollen gets on the condensation on the car in the morning, and sticks, causing my car to look like it has yellow dots ALL over, AND i cant see out of the rear windshield whenits like this.
Old 04-05-09, 11:23 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Amini9
for me, its not for the looks.

in norcal, fog is pretty bad, and it gets cold overnight, then pollen gets on the condensation on the car in the morning, and sticks, causing my car to look like it has yellow dots ALL over, AND i cant see out of the rear windshield whenits like this.
ah, ok, cool
Old 04-06-09, 08:43 AM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

LoL, i would do it for the looks, but as far as its usefulness, nada, my rear window is tinted too dark.
Old 04-06-09, 10:07 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SClean4
If everyone thought this way, we would all be driving stock cars.

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
jdm turn signals are on the right side of the wheel? interesting. didnt know that. doesnt sound like that much of an issue though really.

two weeks ago my buddy an r32 gtr skyline at his house for a detailing job. nice car. really fun. maybe thats why i didnt see him use the blinker a single time when he took me for a ride lol

hey 2.5....post some more info on this swap for people to see or some pictures of the wiring involved. im sure if its pretty straight forward more people would be willing to do it.
As for the glass it drops right in, the hole for the wiper motor shaft as even already there. Where the modifying begins is on the inside of the trunk. The outline of where the motor goes is stamp into the sheet metal but not cut out. Once cut out the motor will bolt to the surrounding metal with bolts.
notching the rear deck lid is required for both the shaft and washed line. If you are lucky your window will come with the trim piece that covers this from the inside of the car. The motor has 2 wires I believe. I think both are + inputs because the motor is grounded to the assembly. I didnt get to technical when it came to get it to work right so I just wired one of the + to a switch. I'm assuming the other wire has something to do with stopping the motor at the bottom on the window when the switch is turned off. The way I did it I have to time the swing to turn it off at the bottom. If someone knows how this works that would be great info to share. My switch is mounted out of view. I wanted to swap out the windshield washer button for a push/on push/off button but didn't find another arm cheap enough to take apart.

Originally Posted by drft_n_sc
hmm i wonder if you could use the **** for the factory car stereo as the switch for the wiper ....

2.5tsoarer: what kind of switch did you use?? and do you have a write up on how you wired the wiper??
This was so long ago I don;t have any photos of the install and would have to take apart my stereo stuff out of the trunk in order to take pictures. Maybe someday if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Old 04-06-09, 01:00 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for that info 2.5tsoarer
Old 04-14-09, 04:23 PM
sc4002soar
Driver

dam no diy

Quick Reply: Where\How Rear Windshield Wiper