SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

brake question???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-02, 01:45 PM
ForNgoods
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question brake question???

I have a problem with my brakes. actually i have two problems. The first one is that almost everytime i use my brake, my car shakes and the shift **** vibrates violently. It doesnt come to a stop smoothly, it's very jittery. The brake pedal is very sensitive and works very weird. u press the brake a little bit and u dont fell it slowing down that much but then u press a little farther and the full force of the brake fells like it's kicking in. I've tried to adjust to the problem by pressing the brake to get it to slow down and then slowly releasing pressure from the pedal as i slow down and that's the only way i can come to anything remotely close the a smooth stop. my friend drove it and says it's far from normal. He thinks it's something to do w/ my brake fluid. I checked and it's full. Can brake fluid go bad??? has anyone had this problem? could it have something to do w/ my anti-lock brakes? if u have any clues please reply.

my second problem is the hissing sound that it makes... when i hear it, it drives me insane. Is the only cause of that hissing sound old brake pads? I dont think my pads are that old but i was told by someone that the only pads that dont hiss are the OEM ones. the ones i have on there now arent oems. but if that'll sovlve the problem, i'm more than willing to get new pads, i jus wanna be sure that's the source before i waste money on something that's not gonna have an effect.
Old 03-06-02, 03:37 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The vibrating sounds like you might have "warped" rotors. Which causes the surface of the rotor to become uneven or even cracked.

The "hissing sound" could be the sensor telling you it's time to change your pads.

Hope this helps,
Tony
Old 03-06-02, 05:21 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeap, time for new rotors and pads. Autozone has front rotors for ~$60 each. Steve Ganz has crossdrilled/slotted front for ~$90 each.
Try to buy pads from NAPA (ceramix) no dust and lifetime warranty. When the pads wear out, take it off and get new set.
or buy pads from www.cyberauto.com
Old 03-06-02, 08:01 PM
ForNgoods
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do i get in touch w/ steve ganz?
Old 03-06-02, 08:59 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ForNgoods
how do i get in touch w/ steve ganz?
"STEVE GANZ" <gonzo4u@earthlink.net> or 800-908-6968
Its TRD slotted rotors for $99 each. Original SC400 rotors $114 each. Price was give to me last year. Hope its stay the same. Let me know what you pay.
Old 03-06-02, 10:24 PM
Lvangundy

VQT Thank you VERY much!

I'm in desperate need of rotors also and I hope Steve can help me out.

ForNGoods - Yes you need new rotors.

The shaking sensation on the steering wheel is caused by the front rotors, and the shaking in the pedal and shiftknob is caused by the rear rotors.

Get them replaced sometime soon, - yes the car can be driven for a while like this, but eventually it will get bad enough to where the brake parts can be jarred loose and much control is lost in braking.
Old 03-07-02, 01:04 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lvangundy
the shaking in the pedal and shiftknob is caused by the rear rotors.
I replaced the front rotors with autozone part and it solve the problem.

If your car is high miles, change the rear wouldn't hurt. Steve said he doesn't have slotted rear. Maybe TRD have it by now. Let me know if they have the rear yet and the price.

Thanks,
Old 03-08-02, 01:49 AM
justinlarsen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have to have slotted rotors? i just put new oem pads on hopping it woudl solve the problem.. and it didt.. should i get the rotors shaves or jsut buy new ones.. its a 1995 sc300 and it jsut rolled over the 80,000 mark yesterday
Old 03-08-02, 04:37 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by justinlarsen
do you have to have slotted rotors? i just put new oem pads on hopping it woudl solve the problem.. and it didt.. should i get the rotors shaves or jsut buy new ones.. its a 1995 sc300 and it jsut rolled over the 80,000 mark yesterday
No, I don't have the slotted rotors, and you can't turn (shave) the slotted rotors.
Get the rotors turn, and don't use Pepboy. They F#*k up my rotor, that's why I had to buy the new set. Try a good machine shop. It should be $10 each. Don't remember the thickniss of SC300. But for 93 SC400 the minimum thickness is 30mm.