Search this Thread

Old 10-14-08, 01:57 PM
surfsunset
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to Jack?

Hello,

I have a 99" 300 SC
I'm thinking about doing my own oil changes.. Can someone tell me the best place to place the jack to jack up the car (i'm using a jack and jack stands).

Pics would be great.

also, is the oil filter removed from the top or bottom of the car.

Thanks SC owners - you all Rock!!!
Old 10-14-08, 02:33 PM
PecosBill
Lexus Test Driver

Cant help you with the jack question as I use ramps, but the oil filter can be reached from the top. Its on the right side of the motor sticking out at a 45 degree angle.

PS: get some pics up of the SC if you havent already
Old 10-14-08, 02:40 PM
Kits73
Rookie

I just did my oil change last week. There is a crossmember between the 2 front tires so you can jack it up there. Make sure you use your jackstands to support the car. The filter can be easily removed from the top. The oild drain is easy to remove too.
Old 10-14-08, 02:49 PM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

yeah as far as removing the oil filter from the top, have the pan underneath and maybe a rag underneath the oil filter to keep the oil from landing on other parts of the car... as far as raising, if you have more of a flat surface on the jack and stands, then you should be fine on the jack points they recommend. however, those points are bit weak in the metal that they'll bend a bit... i suggest you buy a ramp...
Old 10-14-08, 04:34 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

There is a jack point dead center, but it is kind of far back and hard to see because the under carriage is so low. I had a hard time fitting my low profile jack under there, so the sides might be easier.
Old 10-14-08, 05:06 PM
rpx13
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jack up the car sorta where the front fender meets the door....jes look directly under the car and u should feel the cross member...
Old 10-14-08, 05:47 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

You can always simply drive it sideways up onto a driveway so you can get adequate space to do an oil change.
Old 10-14-08, 05:53 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

haha im guessing he just wants to double check as its better safe than sorry. dont want to rip a hole on the undercarriage now do we
Old 10-14-08, 08:09 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

The jacking points are on the pinch welds running down both sides of the car. Try to use a wide surface area jack with a board on it to avoid bending the pinch weld. There are 2 notches on the pinch weld that is where you should jack the car up. That or from the front you can jack it under the core support. Remember to ALWAYS use jack stands cause I had a jack give out lucky I had stands. So you don't burn the hell out of yourself change the oil with the engine cold. I use oil pliers that helps me out a lot. Remember to put a pan underneath cause that oil goes everywhere. Buy some extra brake clean to clean that cross member off or spray it off with a hose if you don't care about the environment lol. 2jz's in my opinion are a pain to change the oil. Right next to the ls 460's. Good luck with the maintenance.
Old 10-14-08, 08:40 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the same areas as mentioned by SHOLEXMAN. Honestly though, I would just pay a shop to do the oil change. For me its not worth the hassle and time to crawl under the car, get dirty, and take the oil to recycle. I just buy my own oil/filter and take it to a small shop to change for about $10.
Old 10-14-08, 08:47 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheMole
I use the same areas as mentioned by SHOLEXMAN. Honestly though, I would just pay a shop to do the oil change. For me its not worth the hassle and time to crawl under the car, get dirty, and take the oil to recycle. I just buy my own oil/filter and take it to a small shop to change for about $10.
Seriously those do it yourself people!lol Bring it to a shop so I can get some money haha.
Old 10-14-08, 09:01 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
Seriously those do it yourself people!lol Bring it to a shop so I can get some money haha.
DIY is the best way since it teaches me about the car, although that filter was a pain in the *** to get off and is making me not want to do my next oil change. I'm getting sick of working on the SC because I've had to buy so many new tools and that takes away from money for mods. It is time for a new floor jack because the Aff 200t "Low Rider" and my newest OTC aluminum racing jack won't clear the SC's front end when lifting at the cross member.
Old 10-14-08, 09:26 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

man changing your oil is not hard at all.you can jack it up from points on the side, that worked just fine until i bought ramps.i'll save some money by doing my own oil change.
Old 10-14-08, 10:35 PM
unreal-
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I jack mine from dead center, right between the left and right tires on the crossmember. Works wonders. Dont understand all the complaining though. This car is DEAD simple to change oil on. Oil filter is within reaching distance, and the oil pan bolt is easy to reach.
Old 10-15-08, 06:39 AM
redsc400
Pole Position

agree with the DIY'ers, oil changes are a good way to learn basics of the car. lift from the pinch welds and prop with stands. the longest part of the change will be waiting for the oil to drip out. i tend to line the new filter with a little drop of oil so it wont be hell trying to remove after the next change. ps - 2jz filteres are a little messy to remove....better line the bottom with towels & get it out quick

Quick Reply: Where to Jack?