SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Type T-IV tastes like... chicken

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-02, 03:05 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Type T-IV tastes like... chicken

Hmmm... I finnaly got around to swapping out 2 quarts of my ATF. but I did it in an unusual fashion... maybe I'll make a picture how to out of it, unless I did something terribly wrong!

I took a clear PVC hose, and pulled out the ATF dipstick.

I then put the hose in the place of the dipstick.

First I tried using my mouth to get a siphon going... but yes, burt T-IV fluid tastes like chicken (well not really)

So I hooked up the PVC hose to a shop vac, and used a cut off 2L soda bottle to measure out 2 QTs of burnt (as in dark black, looking like used engine oil) ATF.

I then put in 2 Quarts of toyota T-IV ATF fluid, and checked along the way by putting the dipstick in, until it was full.

I thus avoided having to ever go under the car, or break off the bolts. Somone else here did that right?

Anyhow, it was wicked easy, and I did it in a 1/2 hour. The only down side was that the ATF costs $27 @ the toyota dealership I went to....

Cherio!
Old 02-15-02, 06:03 PM
Black94RX-7TT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hrmph. Does your car not have a drain plug on the transmission pan? Mine does. Makes it easy as pie.
Old 02-15-02, 09:24 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

yea it does... I just don't like driving it up onto ramps -- the ones I have aren't wide enough....
Old 02-15-02, 11:08 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

You're kidding, right?
Old 02-16-02, 09:08 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Jon,
I don't trust the ramps I have -- they are old and too narrow for the tires I have up front... They're 7" wide ramps, perfect for a honda civic or something, or put both of them side by side for one tire!
I went and checked out autozone -- the ramps were wider but did not have a gradual enough incline -- I'd never be able to make it up (ahhh front lip spoiler) without a 2x6 or 4x12 assisting**.

I like these ones -- they're good for a mazda miata, so they should work.
http://www.cruiserbits.com/cgi-bin/d...4&PlateID=4256

(from responses so far, it seems people really don't like my unusual way of draining ATF)

** purple heart wood made from South America is great -- it's about as hard as iron. When using it to build a deck, the nails from a nail gun wouldn't go in if you didn't hit it just right. It's exremely dense too. Great stuff... but it does cost a small fortune to buy.
Old 02-16-02, 10:08 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Supracoup,
There is a company called Griots Garage that sells a suction device w/measured container that is designed to do what you did. I have watched a friend us it on his corvette. I thought it worked great and have considered doing it myself. My only concern is not changing the filter.
I think they advertise that you could drain your engine oil through the dip stick also. It has a long skinny flexible tube that is supposed to reach the bottom of the oil pan or trans pan.

gadgetSC
Old 02-16-02, 10:18 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

hmmm interesting. I'll check it out.

additionally, while looking for ramps, I came across this...

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/mwramps/

could be useful.
Old 02-16-02, 11:06 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Question: You know that checking the trans. fluid with engine running and the the fluid is hot (operating temperature)?
Old 02-16-02, 11:27 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by VQT
Question: You know that checking the trans. fluid with engine running and the the fluid is hot (operating temperature)?

Q: You know that checking the fluid w/ the engine running, means that the fluid is hot?

A: Tastes Like Very Hot Chicken!

no, not really. I let it cool down some, and filled it up using the manual's suggested level for cold tranny fluid.
Old 02-16-02, 03:00 PM
Black94RX-7TT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by SupraCoup3
I like these ones -- they're good for a mazda miata, so they should work.
http://www.cruiserbits.com/cgi-bin/d...4&PlateID=4256

(from responses so far, it seems people really don't like my unusual way of draining ATF)

** purple heart wood made from South America is great -- it's about as hard as iron. When using it to build a deck, the nails from a nail gun wouldn't go in if you didn't hit it just right. It's exremely dense too. Great stuff... but it does cost a small fortune to buy.
I can say de-facto that those ramps will work. Those are exactly what I used this afternoon.

You use purpleheart to lift the car up with? It IS a Lexus....but sheesh...LOL My dad would KILL me if he saw me using exotic hardwoods to lift the car up with.
Old 02-16-02, 04:23 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

SupraCoup, Purpleheart ramps, that's classy. I use plain Jane Black dense ABS ramps from Pep Boys, they were $20-25, they're wide enough for my tyres, the incline will clear the front, and they have a nice wall at the end to keep knuckleheads from going too far. They're like a toothless hooker, nothin' pretty but sure gets the job done. ATF not only tastes like chicken, but it's a great hair conditioner, check it out for yourselves.....