Search this Thread

Old 02-08-02, 10:11 AM
1BomexLex
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ricer is no way in means attacking the asiaian people at all

ricer can be a white dude, black dude, yellow dude, purple dude, or a blue dude

ricer just means that when someone takes a car
wants to make it look cool.....so they take a spoiler that makes them wonder if they can go under bridges thats so high
but a wide mouth body kit on their car with no intercooler....and the cover it with vinyl..
oh yea then they add an air intake and huge exhaust

they know nothing of what these do ....they hear that the intake and exhaust add horsepower.....but on a civic or integra....whos counting
they only are looking for loundess

next time you see a civic that loud and running his car to redline
check it out.... see how much noise it makes but the observe that it really isnt going anywhere too quickly
maybe he should take off some of that vinyl cause thats the thing that is actually weighing him down
most of them have 10 pounds of vinyl on there anyways
Old 02-08-02, 11:06 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by hoops_24
Mad Max, you are the only person that was unable to respond with any kind of sense or tact. To me you are the type that uses the term in an offensive matter based on your pre-school level response.
Peace
Just for the record, I like Asian people a lot - like my friend Leo from WR. We both spot and make fun of riceboys and their hooptys. I agree with Bean here, if you're so shallow that you can't see the real meaning then there's the door. My first post was kind of tongue-in-cheek, I was kidding. But, you've proved even my humor right- by calling me a racist for attacking the left you've proven that you are one of them. People like you are the reason political correctness got to the point that no one questioned several Arabs down in Florida taking flying lessons with no interest in landing.
People who go to such excesses trying to not offend anyone destroyed the melting pot long ago, and opened the door for 9/11.

Peace? not anymore, not for a long time.

Last edited by MadMaxSC400; 02-08-02 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-08-02, 03:00 PM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, let me start by saying that (by my alias), most of you can see that I am not American by ethnicity. As a matter of fact, I am southeast Asian.

I agree with Bean, such that the door is wide open if you are offended. However, I have to a draw a line at a certain point.

Like someone posted earlier in this thread, the terms "rice", "ricer", and "riceboy" came about when this so-called trend came about. And I believe this term was coined, because the cars that spawned this trend were mostly Japanese cars. Today, this trend seems to overlap into other makes also.

Although I personally do not become offended, the reason why I said there has to be a line drawn is, it really depends on the context in which one uses those terms. Most of the times, I could care less what someone else says about another person's car. However, most of the times I hear those terms used, there is usually a negative connotation.

Unfortunately, it is human nature to be biased in one way or another, including racism. However, once we realize that the universe is yet so vast and earth is merely a grain of sand in the beach, we can become one. But that was Martin Luther King, Jr.'s dream.

I'm not taking sides, because I can care less; but is not this "trend" just hot-rodding Asian imports?

I say, "to each his own". If some guy likes his car to be a total sleeper, so be it. If some guy likes his car to be all show (including all the "wrong" things) and no-go, so be it also.
Old 02-08-02, 03:27 PM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Well said Moshlub. Whether you agree with me or not, i agree with everything you said.
Bean, I have been a member for over a year so please get your facts straight.

Why when someone has an opinion people want to kick them out of Club Lexus? I said that I am not offended by the term, but as others have said, it is derived from the Asians that slammed their cars and the term can be used inappropriately at times.

No reason to get all hostile. That's the one thing i don't like about this club. It seems as though everyone is bent on showing up people that aren't in their "click"

Is anyone in this club educated??
Old 02-08-02, 04:20 PM
Slow_go_400
Rookie

Well I have to say trudremz16 explained best. I'm Filipino and I take no offense to it what so ever. I myself make fun of my ricer friends sometimes. " WOW, WOW, Does that RS Akimoto sticker add 5 horse power?" They think nothing of it.....Oh yeah, if your a white and you drive a lowered automatic Toyota corola with stock rims with a noisy muffler. Guess what your a "RICER" also. So basically I think its funny, not offensive.
Old 02-08-02, 06:49 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bit my tongue because I didn't want to fan the flames. But i've had enough. I have lots to say about some other posts, but I'm only going to respond to Hoops's previous post.

>>Why when someone has an opinion people want to kick them out of Club Lexus
Who is getting kicked?!? People said that if you have a problem with that you can leave. Being kicked out implies that it is done forcefully.

>> but as others have said, it is derived from the Asians that slammed their cars
Who are these others? I'm reading the threads and I don't read anything about the term being about Asians. In fact, I believe ALL the threads have been about how it IS NOT about Asians but about the cars.

>>It seems as though everyone is bent on showing up people that aren't in their "click"
... What clique?

>>Is anyone in this club educated??
An incredibly ignorant statement. You just said "No reason to get all hostile" but then you proceed to insult people. Answered your own question, eh?

Last edited by hellasboy; 02-08-02 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-08-02, 09:10 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Default About Rice

This term was first used when the young kids spent their money making their Japanese-made cars "look fast". This ended up making the car look ridiculous. Most of the time it was a cheap car like the Honda Civic, Honda Prelude, or Acura Integra. The most common rice mods are the coffee can exhaust(Yuban preferred), rims too big so it looks like there is a spray-on tire, body kits (most unpainted), fake HIDs (purple lights?), racing wing (laugh), racing stickers(lame), and absolutely no real performance mods.

All of us here can probably remember the last time they encountered one of these cars when they were driving around and thought someone was chasing their car with a lawnmower.

I am asian and do not mind the term and in fact get a big kick out of it.
Old 02-08-02, 10:21 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Well let's see, in my yuppie town, It's the white kids who rice up their cars, while down the street from me a cambodian kid who's 21 named Pahn has a White 1993-1996 Toyota Supra TT w/ 18" Rimms. He's putting out a decent amount of HP -- He's got a FM intercooler, and new SS 4" exaust, But I've never got around 2 talking 2 him...

The white... oh sorry cocasian kids drive around in rusted out Jeep Cherokees with 10" subs and think they're cool. Or they drive Volvo's or something.

There are plenty of Ricey mustangs. In Lynn, MA (The city of sin) I've seen a 2.3L 4 banger that's decked out with stickers and flowmaster exaust. Looks fast, but needs to get pushed the 1/4 mile.

Rice is in no way shape or form intended as an ethnic slur, and If it offends people, why don't they just say so? I mean why get all torqued afraid that we might offend some group? If we offend them, come out & say we did. Were all brothers (and sisters) here -- We own & love Lexus'.

So say what you think, and let others tell you when you offend them.

....Sometimes I feel like life is like tiptoeing through an old house -- you're just trying to be quiet, but every step you take, it makes a wicked loud squeak. So just screw it and walk with confidence.

And If I offended anyone, or stepped on toes -- I'm sorry -- Just say so, and next time I'll hold my tounge.

Cherio

Last edited by SupraCoup3; 02-08-02 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-09-02, 08:42 AM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Good posts.

I guess what i have learned is that nobody really knows where the term came from. BUT it sounds as tough the term came from the japanese CARS versus the people that drive them. That's a good thing. I guess the term has been around and has been accepted much longer than I have.

Hellasboy, you want a tit for tat but I won't respond. I have an opinion and will continue to state it as I see fit....nuff said

Peace
Old 02-09-02, 02:39 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Seems we've got peace and this one is all fixed now! We managed to constructively (sp?) get things said, without anyone cussing or freaking out. More than I can say for most forums! Well done.

So, how's the weather?

SR
Old 02-10-02, 04:03 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know, I ate a lot of rice tonight and I'm feeling...well, I'm feeling a little bloated and unattractive...I think I'm retaining water also...why do my ankles feel fat? Damn that rice!

Seriously though, today, I saw some great rice...on the freeway, we pull up on this Civic...exhaust the size of Texas, unpainted body kit, and the wheels were HUBCAPS (you could see the lip of the hubcap)...and the pièce de résistance...a IROC sticker on the door...this was one CONFUSED ricer...

I mean seriously, how can someone be SO FRICKIN' CLUELESS?!
Old 02-10-02, 05:43 AM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Talking just wanted to say....

We all put our pants on the same way in the morning......

unless of course you are wearing a skirt (Ikon) (just kidding buddy), I think all of you are great.

Isn't race an amazing topic, but I'd rather be racing....

Just remember: We are all a product of our environment.

Peace guys
Old 02-10-02, 01:55 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Mycrobyte, I agree (the part about Ikon wearing a skirt, that is). I think some of you were a bit harsh on hoops (even though I spent enough on my education to build at least five turbo SC's), but I have to say, hoops, aren't you black? I mean African-American? I saw some great rice the other day, I seem to spot the most quality Uncle Ben's at the local Pep Boys, this kid with his underwear completely exposed climbs out of this blue Saturn (as Dennis Leary said, the underwear goes IN the pants, that's why it's called UNDERF#CKING WEAR!) He had added a 2-story alum GT wing, 400mm tip, yellow stickers and trim everywhere, he even painted his drums bright yellow! I swear I almost got physically ill, my girlfriend asked what's wrong? I told her I was violently allergic to too much rice, she said 'since when?' and obviously didn't get my meaning.

P.S. - I'm a New Yorker, we hate everybody equally...
Old 02-10-02, 05:03 PM
hoops_24
Pole Position

I was gonna say that his car sounds "ghetto" but that would be politically incorrect.....
Old 02-10-02, 06:44 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm also Asian (Filipino), but I don't find it offensive, actually I find it quite funny when someone calls me a *ricer* when they see me driving my car (just because it's got alloy wheels?!?!) and I blow their doors off (when they find out my Soarer is of the twin turbo 1JZ-powered variety)!!

I don't know too much about the US scene, but the Australian import scene, everyone does up their car in their own way that they see fit. Take many of the Lebanese people in Sydney. They're often seen driving around in Subaru WRXs or Suzuki Swift GTi's and the like. They like their cars usually for speed (to get away from the cops?? Only joking ) In fact, many of the Asian people around my area have Honda Civics/Mitsu Lancers, and these owners usually only slam their rides and fit really REALLY big wheels, but barely mechanically modified. Then you have the ****-Import Owners* (eg ME). Our cars are usually modified, but it's dependant on what car it is, eg. you barely see Soarers modified but you'll always see a Supra twin turbo or 180SX nearly always modified.

Again, I'm not offended by the term RICER, because modifying a car is about making your car the way YOU, the DRIVER, want it to be, not how OTHER PEOPLE want it to be. And whenever someone in a domestic V8 or Skyline or whatever wants a run and if they *just* beat me in a race (hasn't happened yet), being in the Soarer always reminds me of how much better my car is to be in than theirs

Just my two cents worth...

Quick Reply: Throwing "Rice"