SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Datalogger, whats it worth to you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 09:33 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Datalogger, whats it worth to you?

I have had the priviledge of being in the Lexus and Toyota community for 7 years now. My Bachelor's Degree is winding down and I will graduate at the end of the year.

We have to pick senior projects in EE/CpE and I'd like to do something that has an impact on the community and helps it out.

I enjoy reading about the Megasquirt community and the TechEdge WB02 community because various vendors offer to build the units for you or offer you the parts to build it yourself and all assembly information is completely open and completely free.

My project is going to be a Datalogger for the 2jz-GE (and most likely GTE). It may or may not work with the 1jz, we will see.

This datalogger will interface with the under-dash DLC connector (round plug) and read engine information. I have ideas for several options, like real-time display on an LCD screen, possibly with a touch-interface, USB flashdrive downloads of logs, and real-time interfacing via a serial connection. I also would like to use various voltage inputs that would allow logging of WB02 Sensor voltage, MAP sensor voltage (for those that use JDM motors/JDM ECU project or just want to read boost).

I am thinking also of making all the information completely free for its complete assembly including assembly code and external interface software (to be developed to run on windows/mac/linux). I have a very affordable PIC processor (chip costs like $15) picked out that would be able to handle it; and also would be easy to develop for if savvy developers wanted to extend its capabilities. Total parts cost for everything listed above would be most likely south of $300, probably about $250; and maybe even less than that. (thats with an LCD touchscreen)

FYI: This is not a physical product that I wish to sell, nor make money on. This is something I feel should have already existed. There is major potential for such a device if designed correctly. The upper-level interface could be the same but the lower level could be programmed to work with several types of interfaces (all jz motors, hondas, nissans, etc). Not saying I'd do that, but if you leave the possibility for its development open, someone will jump in and build it. If anything, I'll put together bulk-purchased equipment and make little DIY kits with just cost covered on shipping and parts.

My question is, does anyone see a value in something like that or am I wasting my time? I know there is a handheld toyota unit out there and I know there is an aftermarket reader (though I hear the sampling rate is terrible and that it doesnt have many options).

Last edited by Bean; 02-26-08 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-26-08, 10:56 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do it and I know I will buy one. My buddy built one and talk about a huge help when diagnosing issues on his sr20det swapped infiniti g20. I would love to get my hands on one so I dont have to have a billion gauges everywhere.
Old 02-26-08, 12:32 PM
uras300
Lead Lap

I would purchase one as well. It'll come in handy for the next project..
Old 02-26-08, 12:36 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I would be intersted in this too
Old 02-26-08, 01:06 PM
Touge
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea, I'm in also.
Old 02-26-08, 01:11 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

me likes, but no need...yet
Old 02-26-08, 01:51 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

I'm rocking a 1JZ and would be interested if you develop for the 1JZ.

CompE degree? EE Degree?

Gotta love the PIC. I have some very interesting ideas that would benefit the VIP movement using a PIC micro-controller. I'll let you know if it ever materializes...
Old 02-26-08, 02:13 PM
hb55047
Lead Lap

i have a 1uz but if i could get it to work like that and have it output the info to my carputer i would be interersted.
Old 02-26-08, 02:15 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

I was more curious about the development of it. I would release the instructions and parts list for free and allow vendors to sell premade and diy kits. But before development even, I'm wanting to know of interest in something like that. I don't want to create a product that I think is really cool but then no one interested in it.
Old 02-26-08, 02:17 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by shern
I'm rocking a 1JZ and would be interested if you develop for the 1JZ.

CompE degree? EE Degree?

Gotta love the PIC. I have some very interesting ideas that would benefit the VIP movement using a PIC micro-controller. I'll let you know if it ever materializes...
Yeah CompE... I havent had a lot of exposure to PICs yet, but looking at a couple that look VERY promising. They look very powerful and very simple to develop for
Old 02-26-08, 02:27 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to be into DSM's (hence the name) and I used to run pocketlogger ( http://www.pocketlogger.com/ ). This was a great tool as I ran it on a PDA and all the necessary info was selected and read real time, like knock, timing, O2 sensors, fuel triim, etc. I would love for this to be available for the community as it would make a huge difference in the whole ideology of tuning and diagnostics.
Old 02-26-08, 02:46 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by evileagle
I used to be into DSM's (hence the name) and I used to run pocketlogger ( http://www.pocketlogger.com/ ). This was a great tool as I ran it on a PDA and all the necessary info was selected and read real time, like knock, timing, O2 sensors, fuel triim, etc. I would love for this to be available for the community as it would make a huge difference in the whole ideology of tuning and diagnostics.
This doesn't really sound any different than my Snap On scanner's abilities.
Old 02-26-08, 03:08 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

evileagle,

I've seen those before, but they had no options for extra inputs like a map senor or WB02 sensors. The stock narrowband sensors are worthless at anything other than 14.7:1. I never saw one datalog either, but that doesn't mean it couldnt do it. Theoretically, if you didn't have a laptop; you could put a thumbddrive into this unit and have it download the datalog maps realtime to be used by a software application later
Old 02-26-08, 03:32 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I would love something like this. I am putting a car pc any how with a touch screen so most of that cost would be done.
Old 02-27-08, 09:00 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds cool...being able to monitor engine sensors is always a good thing.

Quick Reply: Datalogger, whats it worth to you?