SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Looking to buy an sc300

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-08, 12:05 PM
olmytsi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy an sc300

I have always wanted an sc300 (why i registered a lil while ago on here) and the time has come to finally get one.

I would like a 97+ but i may have to get a pre 97 to get a car with good mileage for my price range. I am looking to spend about $10k and the car has to be manual.

Just a couple of questions:

1- any years i should avoid or go for?

2- what are the typical things to go wrong on an sc300 that i should look for/check out before making a decision on a car?

3- If i get a pre 97, i'm going to put 97+ headlights and tailights on it. Do i need the bumpers as well to do that? Any modifications needed?

4- Do Supra TT wheels fit on all year sc300's without modifications?

5- Anyone in the Philly area selling a clean sc300?

I will most likely have other questions but that's it for now

Thanks in advance to whoever contributes to this thread.
Old 02-17-08, 12:15 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3: No. There's not much difference between the 97+ and pre-97 headlights.
4: Yes.

I would look on craigslist for one. I'd try to get one that has had maintenance done on it recently or within a year or two, could save some money on maintenance that way.

Last edited by SClean4; 02-17-08 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-17-08, 12:18 PM
Zeal3
Pole Position

Answers.

1. i dont believe so. every car is different because of the owner. so as long it was well kept then it should be a great car

2. my problems were: car bucking durring shifts(auto), Distributor O-Ring Leak, and a Broken AC.

3. no clue. id rather get a 97+ so i can get the VVti and have fun with that until i do an engine swap.

4. i believe so. other SC owners have. SEARCH.
Old 02-18-08, 01:59 PM
labrealiv
Driver

Originally Posted by OhxPoopy
Answers.

1. i dont believe so. every car is different because of the owner. so as long it was well kept then it should be a great car

2. my problems were: car bucking durring shifts(auto), Distributor O-Ring Leak, and a Broken AC.

3. no clue. id rather get a 97+ so i can get the VVti and have fun with that until i do an engine swap.

4. i believe so. other SC owners have. SEARCH.

Correction to #3:
98+ has VVTi. Last year of "old engine" was 1997.
Old 02-18-08, 02:26 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Zoltar

olmytsi, The link below will answer your questions.

http://intellexual.net/faq.html
Old 02-18-08, 07:31 PM
574-SC300
Pole Position

Good luck finding a 97 manual.
Old 02-18-08, 08:50 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 574-SC300
Good luck finding a 97 manual.
I know where one izzzzz!!!!
Old 02-18-08, 10:44 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by olmytsi

1- any years i should avoid or go for?
1- Avoid the '92-'94 models if you can, since they don't have any foglights...and instead have these so-called "cornering" foglights....LAME!!!
'95-and up models have better tailights and '95-'96 models have sort of a black plastic lower grill (Which perfectly complements an SC400 lip) as opposed to the '92-'94 lower grill which is paint matched and gaudy looking,
'95 and up models have bigger sized gloveboxes, '95 and up year model SC's have glass highbeams whereas '92-'94 models have "plastic" highbeams (Which will eventually turn yellow and ugly)...Just save yourself the hassle and get yourself a '95 and up model.

Old 02-18-08, 10:53 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Be careful about paying too much for these old cars in stock form. They are severely overpriced in today's market. Since these are slow & heavy cars, know this: The amount of money required to PROPERLY turbo charge it is a LOT. Don't fall for the "it's cheap to turbo these cars" hype.

They're beautiful cars, but you don't get your money's worth at todays used market value imho. On slick roads, they tend to be very unstable (once you lose traction, all hell breaks loose) without a limited slip differential and the rear tire width of stock wheels is a severe handicap. Supra TT wheels fit no problem, just make sure you don't get less than 275 rear width tire.

Example: you have to make sure your rear differential isn't leaking and the old 2jz-ge engine isn't eating oil (most do), most of the time your control arm bushings and ball joints need replacing. The stock sc300 shocks and springs are a joke, so upgrade those asap. There is a long list of things to do for most used sc300s that are necessary to make the car safe and predictable by today's standards of performance and handling.
All the best with your SC300 purchase, but just realize what you're purchasing and don't believe the hype. I know because I've been to hell and back with my Lexus SC300.

In the end, it's all those small maintenance and "fixings" that end up costing lots of money most buyers never consider. If you're willing to have a few thousand dollars to put into the car to make is safe and predictable to drive, then I say go for it. If you don't have that much cash on the side, find a car that is cheaper to maintain and already comes with better features in stock form, thus yielding better bang/buck value.

Last edited by dejacky; 02-18-08 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-19-08, 09:23 AM
olmytsi
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info guys. I did find most of what i was looking for by searching the forums after i posted this thread. I'm not looking to turbo the car, i curently own a big turbo dsm and i'm looking to get into a nice stock reliable car to get me to work everyday as i just graduated from college. Only mods i would do to the sc would be tt wheels, the newer headlights/tails/bumpers (if i get an older model) and coilovers.
Old 02-19-08, 11:31 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by olmytsi
Thanks for the info guys. I did find most of what i was looking for by searching the forums after i posted this thread. I'm not looking to turbo the car, i curently own a big turbo dsm and i'm looking to get into a nice stock reliable car to get me to work everyday as i just graduated from college. Only mods i would do to the sc would be tt wheels, the newer headlights/tails/bumpers (if i get an older model) and coilovers.
Glad to hear you don't have "budget turbo" plans for the car and just to use as intended: a stylish and unique cruiser . For the sake of safety, get a limited slip differential first before anything.

Upgrading to a LSD improved car stability when handling tremndously as well as helped braking and kept car more stable & predictable overall. It's a must before you touch suspension imho.
Old 02-19-08, 12:15 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Good luck finding a manual sc.

Here were the issues I had with my car, and what needed to be done after buying a 10 year old car.

Since I've gotten my car it has had the following replaced:
-timing belt
-coolant drain and refill
-atf drain and refill
-oil and oil filter change
-front and rear brake pads

and it still needs
-new bushings
-new shocks
-new tires (only because the ones on the car suck)
-alignment
-rear main seal
-auto tranny mount
-spark plugs
-and all the fluids need to be flushed now because it is still so nasty.

dejacky what lsd to you recommend for the car?
Old 02-19-08, 01:28 PM
yelloa3gti
Lead Lap

i have a 95 5 speed for sale here very soon.. Ill PM you
Old 02-19-08, 01:35 PM
574-SC300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by neurocity
I know where one izzzzz!!!!
I bet, I want a 97 manual bad.
Old 02-19-08, 05:26 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got one.
But I will sell the auto one only in a few months.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy an sc300