SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Insurance on an SC300 or 400 ... YIKES!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-15, 05:03 PM
Flyinhawk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to get liability, uninsured motorist and fire/theft. What will this run me annually?
Old 10-08-15, 05:08 PM
matguy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyinhawk
I have to get liability, uninsured motorist and fire/theft. What will this run me annually?
Without knowing what state you're in, what year and model SC, your driving record, age, etc. there's no way any of us could give you any kind of ballpark other than probably somewhere between $35/month and $200/month. Could be more, could be less.

The only people that can give you decent quotes are an actual insurance company.
Old 10-09-15, 07:47 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

For my three SC's it's about 100 a month for full coverage, and thats with the rest of the cars in the sig. Farmers insurance.
Old 10-10-15, 04:02 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I'm 25 and pay around $50 a month for full coverage with State Farm. It's been the same price for the past two years.

My insurance was over $100 a month when I bought my SC300 at 19. I was insured through the insurance company my step-dad owns. I thought it was pretty high considering I've never had a ticket or accident. It never dropped until I switched to State Farm when I was 23.

Although I'm worried it might go up again. Someone backed into my 02 LS430 a few days ago and ran off.
Old 10-10-15, 09:54 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with State Farm and I pay $178 per month for collision and road side. I'm covered fully as far as accidents, which is great since I just had a front end collision sadly.
Old 10-12-15, 09:49 AM
bluetii
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Age 38 1995 SC400 I use Hagerty insurance and its $75 bucks a year liability of course and under 5000 miles
Old 10-12-15, 09:50 AM
bluetii
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC400slide
For my three SC's it's about 100 a month for full coverage, and thats with the rest of the cars in the sig. Farmers insurance.
Wow you have been blessed by the car gods!!!
Old 10-12-15, 10:18 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I'm 25 and pay around $50 a month for full coverage with State Farm. It's been the same price for the past two years.

My insurance was over $100 a month when I bought my SC300 at 19. I was insured through the insurance company my step-dad owns. I thought it was pretty high considering I've never had a ticket or accident. It never dropped until I switched to State Farm when I was 23.

Although I'm worried it might go up again. Someone backed into my 02 LS430 a few days ago and ran off.
That's should've gone down on your first renewal following your 25th birthday, its that magical number insurance companies think we've become adults.
Old 10-12-15, 05:07 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

31, I think its $525 every six months for my 1992 SC300 and 1993 Toyota truck. Truck doesn't have collision, just fire, theft, act of god, etc. Lexus has full coverage. BTW, that is with a $500 deductible for collision and pretty much the max coverage for property damage, bodily injury, etc, I think somebody can sue me for a million dollars and the insurance would cover it. I know if I went with the state minimums I could probably half that bill, but I sleep better at night knowing that no matter what happens I'm covered.
Old 10-14-15, 01:49 PM
matguy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matguy
I should list all my vehicles:

98 SC400
04 Dodge Neon
04 Volvo XC90 (+collision and comprehensive)

I'm 38 and my wife is 28. I haven't had a ticket for a long time, probably 7 years, but one slight rear end that was my fault (only loosened his rear bumper, no damage to my car; wife's old insurance paid.) Wife has clear record.
The coverage is for me and my wife.
$3412/year with Liberty Mutual

I'm supposed to be getting a workplace discount with LM, I'm not so sure it's beneficial. Also, when I put the cars (Volvo and Lexus) and my wife on the policy it gave me a new yearly rate of around $1700, which sounded great... but didn't mention that was the pro-rated yearly amount for the term of the renewal period. Sneaky-sneaky. That first full payment was quite the surprise. So now I'm going to shop around.
Just switched to Nationwide and now paying 2388 ($199/mo) for better coverage (raised property damage, better un/under insured motorist, roadside assistance, etc.)
Old 12-26-15, 11:26 AM
Blutarsky0
Driver School Candidate

I'm 39, my wife is 38 and we live in the OKC metro. There are no accidents or tickets on either of our records.

I just put my new '95 SC300 on my policy and removed my old '99 Monte Carlo. The Lexus ended up being about $2.50/mo cheaper than my old chevy with the exact same coverages. I have Liability and extra uninsured coverage on it, along with our other car (2010 Charger with full coverage) and a renters policy. It is through Safeco, and it's about 190/mo total for both cars and the renters policy together.
Old 12-28-15, 06:15 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Blutarsky0
I'm 39, my wife is 38 and we live in the OKC metro. There are no accidents or tickets on either of our records.

I just put my new '95 SC300 on my policy and removed my old '99 Monte Carlo. The Lexus ended up being about $2.50/mo cheaper than my old chevy with the exact same coverages. I have Liability and extra uninsured coverage on it, along with our other car (2010 Charger with full coverage) and a renters policy. It is through Safeco, and it's about 190/mo total for both cars and the renters policy together.
I live in the OKC Metro as well. I don't see too many SC guys around here anymore.

That sounds like a pretty good price on your insurance.
Old 12-29-15, 06:40 AM
net4n6
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 98 SC400. I paid $900 for full coverage (So. Cal) via Wawanesa (45 yrs old, married, with 3 cars). My insurance does not have GAP coverage. I am with them for more than 15 years now. I have a concern. I talked to the Rep. She told me that if the car total, the ins company only pay the market value to the policy holder. As many know, the SC is not worth much via KBB or so called "market value". I paid way more than the KBB for mine ($7800) because the car was in good condition and I wanted a "stock" SC. In addition, I just paid for a brand new paint job too.
Old 12-29-15, 09:51 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by net4n6
I have a 98 SC400. I paid $900 for full coverage (So. Cal) via Wawanesa (45 yrs old, married, with 3 cars). My insurance does not have GAP coverage. I am with them for more than 15 years now. I have a concern. I talked to the Rep. She told me that if the car total, the ins company only pay the market value to the policy holder. As many know, the SC is not worth much via KBB or so called "market value". I paid way more than the KBB for mine ($7800) because the car was in good condition and I wanted a "stock" SC. In addition, I just paid for a brand new paint job too.
It depends on the insurance company and who is at fault for the car getting totaled. You can argue that market value of the car is higher than kbb by providing multiple examples of comparable cars. You won't recover a premium that you paid for getting the car you wanted or all the cost of the paint job, but you can get more than kbb. Just remember to keep all the receipts for things you bought.

I was in a car accident about a month ago, and the other driver tapped my quarter panel and put a 8" dent in it. I looked up the kbb of my 98 SC300 which is roughly $3,000 and the damage was quoted at $2,875 to fix, so I thought they were going to total my car. After talking to the body shop they informed me that insurance companies usually take into consideration the age, condition, and modifications done to the car, but it is still up to the discretion of the insurance company what ratio of damage to value they want to be over to total a car. After the adjusters came out to look at my car they agreed to pay to fix it since it was cheaper than paying out for my car.

Someone backed into my friend's 97 SC300 while it was parked. Scratched his rear bumper and broke a tail light. It cost about $5k to fix with all new OEM parts and they didn't total his car. The KBB on his car is lower than mine since his is 97 and it has higher miles.

I also know of someone else that got 7 to 8k when his 97 SC400 had a small electrical fire. They paid out for his car and mods (body kit, wheels, coils, system, and exhaust).

There is hope for you getting most of your money back, but there are no guarantees unless you pay the premium for it. Most insurance companies will allow you to buy additional coverage to cover mods/upgrades if you're willing to pay more each month.

I've learned that arguing with my own insurance company is a lot harder than arguing with someone else's insurance company. My insurance company clearly states how things are settled in the fine print (which most people don't read), and by signing it I completely agree to their terms. If another party's insurance is paying for it, then I don't have a written agreement to settle for the cheaper repair alternative. The insurance company has to work with you to meet your demands as long as it is within reason. An example of this is when I had to replace my rear bumper because of another driver's negligence. If I were to go through my own insurance company they would pay for a reconditioned bumper (a previously damaged bumper that has been repaired) since that is what it stated in the fine print. Since another company was paying for it, they tried giving me an aftermarket oem bumper. I ended up arguing with them and demanded a brand new OEM Lexus bumper and eventually they agreed to it.
Old 12-29-15, 03:39 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are some better insurance companies?

Quick Reply: Insurance on an SC300 or 400 ... YIKES!