SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Eventful Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-08, 06:59 PM
mousiee
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eventful Saturday

It was a nice Saturday today, so I decided to take advantage of it and complete a few projects I had lined up.

1. Clean Throttle Body - I followed pdf instructions I found on this forum and removal went smoothly. I did run into a few snags, hoses on the bottom of the throttle body, but I took my time and didn't get discouraged. With the Throttle body off, using Valvoline SynPower Throttle Body Cleaner, I went to it. I cleaned it and cleaned as far as I could reach in the intake manifold. The only problem I encounter putting things back together was the bottom two bolts, geez those things are tight to get in.

2. Tighten Throttle Cable - Once I buttoned up the throttle body, I went ahead and tightened the throttle cable. Thanks JDMmuscle for the tip.

3. Install Front Reinforcement - Good gracious there have is a lot of screws for the undercarriages!!! This was my first time taking off a bumper. Everything went well, except I broke the side bolt attachment on one of my high beams.

4. Install Noyka Yellow Fogs - I ordered these last week. This was a breeze. Of coarse I did it with the bumper off.

I'm glad I took on these task because I learned new things about my car. Although I did find out that one of my high beams is pre-95 (plastic and not glass). Unfortunately this is not the one I broke, so I will be hitting up Gazi for high beams.

Another thing I found is a problem!!!!!! I've been losing about a qt - qt and a half between oil changes. Well when I had the undercarriages out I looked at the bottom radiator hose and found oil at the base of the bottom radiator neck coming from it, and it looks to have destroyed the hose as well. Looks like I need a head gasket.

How much do you think a head gasket job will cost me? Also, should I do a coolant and hose change myself before the head gasket job, or wait and have it done by whomever does the job for me?

Sorry for the long post, but I am proud of myself for accomplishing the above (throttle body cleaning and front reenforcement install). At the same time I am heated about the head gasket problem.

Thanks for reading
Mousiee
Old 02-09-08, 08:37 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Same here, hit up Gazi last week for interior upper door trims, the black plastic intake that connects to the maf and 2 ignition coils. Did the coils last week and did the interior trims and the intake today. Everything was smooth except for the part where you gotta put the old hardened hoses back on the plastic tubes (vaccuum hoses for the idling, etc). Ended up buying new hose from autozone, $6 solution.

Where in VA u at? I'm from Fairfax.
Old 02-09-08, 09:10 PM
mousiee
Pole Position

"Where in VA u at? I'm from Fairfax."

Richmond