SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Fix seat rail problem with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-12, 08:38 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

No problem, in my experience when they get sideways like that they may eventually straighten out if you go to the end of the rail, although the safest way to fix it would be to take it out and re position it.
Old 07-03-12, 02:45 PM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, I got the seat back in today, with the white plastic plug in place. It works!
I did install the seat with only the front bolts to make it straight. After that it was easy to push the nut on the gear shaft back in, then screw in the plug. I drilled a 3/4" hole in the skirt, like I planned, but was a little off center, so still had to pull some screws out of the skirt and flex it out of my way to get a 12mm socket onto the plastic plug. I was then was able to put the screws back in the bottom skirt and bottom trim with the seat on it's side, in the car, plug the electronics up, and put the five bolts into the floorboard to secure the seat.
I won't say it was a piece of cake, but it went pretty well.

Thanks again Ali, for your write up, and thanks too to Luxor, who had some helpful pictures in his post about swapping the tilt motor..
Motor on, my friends!
Old 07-03-12, 02:47 PM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Oh yeah! I also tightened the caps on the driver's seat while I had it out. I will check those caps any and every time I have to remove the seats in the future. That should be part of any kind of seat service.
Old 07-03-12, 04:26 PM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Drats!
Now the seat memory doesn't seem to work.
Old 07-29-12, 04:56 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

There is a way to reach the connector for the seat memory button on the door. If you unplug it and plug it back in it may start working again. pulling the battery would probably do the trick and be alot easier but you will reset other memory stuff also when you do it.
Old 04-05-13, 04:53 PM
7akata
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump for the old thread here.

My 99 SC3 has had the driver side inner (center console side) worm gear come out. I got a socket in there and it seemed to tighten it a little, but no joy on getting that side of the power seat to work, only my left side works. I can't get the worm gear far enough in to be able to screw on my little white cap. Any thoughts?
Old 04-05-13, 08:06 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

try turning the worm gear to see if you can get it to screw in some. If not with the seat out have a socket on the other side and slowly turn it at one point the worm gear should move in further, and then you put the cap on.
when the motor turns the wormgear gets pushed out against the cap and then that side will move. no cap no moving as far as I can remember.
Old 04-05-13, 08:11 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tlmmkm1
thanks--drivers and passenger seats in my lx450 were stuck in full forward. drivers just happened and i looked under the seat, found the white plastic cap that had fallen out. i pushed the end of my screwdriver in the open end of the shaft, and the seat went back. once back i was able to screw in the cap and all is well. no seat removal--took 2 min.

the passenger side is another story. the missing cap is also on the left front as it is on the drivers and access is limited. there was nothing i could insert into the shaft/gear hole in order to get the seat back far enough to put a cap back on--if i had one. i believe it may be under that seat but can't get the seat up far enough to see. i may remove the seat, but thats for another day.

thanks for the help here--saved me a trip to the mech.
^^ this post is similar to your situation maybe you can try that to align it to get the wormgear in all the way
Old 04-05-13, 08:40 PM
7akata
Driver

Yeah, I guess why question is does the worm drive just press back in or does it screw in? If it's out, and I pull the seat, is there a way to get it back in without power?

Edit, I've tried preessing it back in for a few hours as I move the seat back and forth and no joy.

Last edited by 7akata; 04-05-13 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-06-13, 08:59 AM
7akata
Driver

Whelp, got the worm gear pushed in enough and replaced the cap, now when I try to move the seat forward/back I get no movement, but I can hear the motor trying to move the seat. What a nightmare.
Old 04-07-13, 07:35 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Its been a long time since I have messed with it, but getting the worm gear to go in was not an issues on mine, it was keeping it in with the cap. you will have to experiment with it unfortunately.
Old 04-08-13, 08:29 AM
7akata
Driver

Yeah, well the motor's definitely still good, perhaps over tightening the 10mm's on the front is the issue, since I had to screw the to move the seat back. I'll keep messing with it; Thanks again for your work!
Old 04-08-13, 09:25 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

are any of your sides moving when you hit the switch?
The first side the wormgear has to be in for the motor to drive both sides (the side closest to the motor I think)
The second side has to be in for just that side to work, but even if the second side is in properly with the cap, if the first side isn't in, neither side will work.

So if you slide your seat, and nothing happens, the first side is out at least, second may or may not be.
If you slide and one rail goes forward, the first side is in good, but the second side is out.
When you get both to move together, that means both sides are good.

you may need me line up the rails if only one side has been moving to get the wormgears in.. just a guess though.
Old 04-08-13, 11:16 AM
7akata
Driver

Yeah, in the beginning, the door side moved, because the center console side wormgear was out. Got the wormgear back in, capped on both sides (door sides was still good). manually set both sides ALL the way back so they would be even. Then when I press to slide, I can hear the motor trying to move it, but no joy, it just stops like they're stuck.

Might just need some fiddling, obviously something has changed when I put the cap back on.

TLDR: No sides moving now, but the motor is TRYING to get them to move, both sides still capped.
Old 04-08-13, 12:30 PM
Tam4511
Driver

i purchased the plugs off cruser parts and pulled my seat out only to find that they dont fit, the plug that is in my other worm gear is short and wide. i need a part number!

Quick Reply: Fix seat rail problem with Pics