SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Fix seat rail problem with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-13, 12:39 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by 7akata
Yeah, in the beginning, the door side moved, because the center console side wormgear was out. Got the wormgear back in, capped on both sides (door sides was still good). manually set both sides ALL the way back so they would be even. Then when I press to slide, I can hear the motor trying to move it, but no joy, it just stops like they're stuck.

Might just need some fiddling, obviously something has changed when I put the cap back on.

TLDR: No sides moving now, but the motor is TRYING to get them to move, both sides still capped.
Probably happened when you manually moved it back. I would try manually moving both sides to where they were or the middle of the rail and try it again. just a guess but you may have gone past where it goes normally with power. Even if its a little crooked its not a huge deal, I think it straightens out when you use the power to get to the end of the rail if you are close enough.

Originally Posted by Tam4511
i purchased the plugs off cruser parts and pulled my seat out only to find that they dont fit, the plug that is in my other worm gear is short and wide. i need a part number!
yeah no one has ever found any part numbers, this maybe a junkyard sort of thing or sacrifice a ripped up set of seats.

Remember if your seat stops sliding, immediately go on a plug hunt before it gets lost forever.

Just like if you are rolling down your window and you hear the famous crunch, don't keep going because that breaks the rod inside the door and then you have to replace the whole door lock actuator instead of just the plastic clip. Just one of those SC things.
Old 04-08-13, 12:58 PM
7akata
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try it Ali, I'm assuming the same bolts move it forward as they did back, even though it looks like I'll just unscrew them right off haha. Thanks again for your input!
Old 05-28-13, 10:37 AM
412eSC
Driver School Candidate

hey whats going on everybody.So ive had this same problem only one side moves forward so i took my seats out to try and put the lil white plastic piece in but it was already in on both sides.I have no idea what to do and where to start i would love some help please
Old 05-28-13, 10:55 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

are they in all the way, they are threaded like screws.
Old 05-28-13, 03:39 PM
412eSC
Driver School Candidate

actually one side wasn't there it had a hole bunch off nasty gunk there.So i went to pick a part and found 2 from a couple off SC's so im going to put them in and ill let ya know
Old 05-28-13, 07:31 PM
412eSC
Driver School Candidate

nope didnt work seat still pulls on left side the right side moves a lil
Old 05-28-13, 07:44 PM
2JTsc300
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 95 supra seats dont move either, i just looked on my old sc seat and all 4 are on there, does anyone know if the supra seat have the same caps?
Old 07-07-14, 09:05 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

No part number for the caps yet????
Old 01-25-17, 03:03 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

So I was picking up my roof rack for my GX that was custom built by Gamiviti which is located in the Denver area... and the owner is a toyota guy who loves landcruisers.

Apparently he made the screw caps for a 80 series landcruiser which looks very similar to the ones used on the SC's, not sure if they are exactly the same but look pretty close.
Since no one has found a source for these little plastic caps yet I thought I would post here to get in touch with him if you want to give it a try.

edit* someone on the last page said that the ones from cruser parts may not fit, so not sure about these try at your own risk, or you can always contact them and see if its possible to make them in the right size. Go to the Gamiviti website and under products you should see "80 series seat parts", might be worth a try if you are missing yours

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-25-17 at 03:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mandrake (02-12-17)
Old 02-12-17, 09:10 PM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ali this thread is almost 10 years old so its sort of amazing you're still updating it. I bought a 1991 Toyota Aristo 3.0V and the driver's seat moves on one side but not the other so I think I have the same problem. I'll look for the caps but it sounds like I might have better luck at home depot for the plugs than anywhere else, as much as I hate home depot. I wasn't able to unbolt the seat rails from the rear so I might have to use a socket wrench to move the inner rail forward until I can unbolt the seat to get under there. This car sure is a pain but I like it.
Old 09-15-17, 08:45 AM
sunny416
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This might be an old thread but THANK YOU SO MUCH! I'm so happy I saw this and fixed my seat after it was broken for over 3 years!
Old 12-07-18, 06:00 PM
coffeet
Driver School Candidate

My 1995 sc300 power seat failed yesterday. The driver seat could not move on the door-side track. I thought I had to spend big money to fix it. Thanks to this thread, I fixed the problem myself. Never would have thought the small white cap is the magic piece. I would like to share the experience on how I fix it.

Here is my situation: the seat got stuck way back, so I could not get to the rear screws to remove the whole seat.

1. Unscrew the front anchor screws.

2. Gently jack up the front of the seat - just enough to let my hand go through. Don't go too far, it may break something.

3. Due to the limited space, it's a little tricky to push in the protruded gear (pin) where you put back the white cap. Make sure the seat position is square, otherwise it's hard to push in the gear. I had to micro adjust the seat and then use the flat-head screw drive to push it in. Then carefully screw in the white cap - it's done. The power seat is working again!
Old 08-27-20, 06:39 AM
Sharingan
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thank You!

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I think a lot of us have had at least one seat that did not slide forward or backward properly, for some of us it never slides at all. There is a thread or 2 somewhere describing how to fix it, but pictures are just so much better.
Heres my way of saying thanks back to the Club Lexus community.

cause really.. a Lexus with broken power seats is really just a no no!

Here we go, this is the passenger seat btw.

1. Remove seat *this can be hard when your seat is stuck all the way forward or back* get all the wrenches you have.

2. Look at bottom of seat

3. Locate white box on either side of the seat towards the back

4. Insert cap into place if you still have any *Search your car for em* they can pop out

5. Repeat for other side

If you like me had one of the caps missing entirely, you will have to go order the part.
** EDIT ** so after 10 years doesn't seem like there is a way to order new ones, so you have to find spares from another set or come up with another solution.

the side of the worm gear closest to the motor is the one that pushes outwards on the cap with the most force. this is likely the one that has popped out or broken.

So there it is, no big deal. do yourself a favor and buy the caps before hand
then you wont have to worry about how to rig it up.

from removal to fix to install, 30 minutes if you have the caps.

i never thought id fix this so easily. i ended up going to home depot and buying a brass plug! i believe it is a 3/8 thread. it worked perfect. here is a site i found that may sell the plastic plugs.
https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...x?itemid=29557
The following users liked this post:
Ali SC3 (08-28-20)