SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Modification your SC

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-02, 10:52 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Modification your SC

How much did you spent on moding your SC?
How much faster did it get you?
What don't you like about the ride quality, muffler sound...that you have to replace with after market parts?

I agree with personal taste, but if you do it too much you are changing your Lexus a performance machine or a pimp machine . It is a luxury car.

I thought you guy say that Lexus is the best machine made on this earth .

If you like fast car, why don't you save the $10K on moding your Lexus and buy a used Corvette. The corvette is fast in stock already. If you put money in to mod. it, the car will be a monster.

Mean while you still have a reliable Lexus to drive across the country when ever you like.
Old 01-25-02, 11:26 AM
papimon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking vqt

Some of us have 'vettes. Perhaps we'd simply like to help Lexus accomplish their goal of acheiving total dominance in the mass production automotive world. Then again... I just like everything I drive to alittle kick to it. (read; EVERYTHING)

Be good to yourself and Drive Happy!
Old 01-25-02, 12:01 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Not much on mods, more like tune-ups and fixes so far, but I am done now. Time to get better wheels and upgrade/fix my current breaks (stock sux).
Old 01-25-02, 12:59 PM
1BomexLex
Lead Lap

well.....its basically so that
when some guy pulls up in a mustang cobra or whatever
he will be like....oh i beat a SC a couple a weeks ago..this one should be a breeze
then outta no where.....we are so far a head of him that he has to squint to see through all the dust we leave him in

hahahahahaha
Old 01-25-02, 02:03 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the fact too that no one expects to be beat by a lex, and I beleive that the insurance on a corvette is more is not?? but anyways
mods: right now im stock
converting to 2jz-gte 6speed
I have the tranny , complete heads, intake manifold, turbos, and fuel pump but im still a long way off .. give me about a yr.. .I fugure total cost will be under just 10k ..
Old 01-25-02, 02:35 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

Well personally I like being unique...and classy-looking at the same time. If you can't afford a luxury car and a sports car....why not just combine the 2 by modding up the luxury car. My car still sounds and feels like a luxury car to me....just a lot more fun
Old 01-25-02, 07:31 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
Not much on mods, more like tune-ups and fixes so far, but I am done now. Time to get better wheels and upgrade/fix my current breaks (stock sux).
So far I spent all my money on maintenance. Want to save up money on a 4 drs. Wife wants LS400
Old 01-26-02, 10:45 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Grace and power at the same time is wonderful.... However, I try to balance the two... I think we should all concentrate on service before speed...

Once that is accomplisehed then IMO we can have the extra power without LOOKING GARISH in our $48K - $60K cars..

Q: How many 840i BMW, Porsche 928, or Benz coupes(300 CE or CLKs) do we see on the streets with a million stickers on it? Fart can exhausts? 4.5" tips? Godzilla body kits?

If you see most of these cars they ARE well maintained... Plus the owners have a sense of "what" car they own... Just my .02 cents.... I think we loose track of "what" class of car we drive/own...

Let's maintain and mod our cars tastefully....

**I think Adam sums it up well...
Old 01-26-02, 11:32 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Modification your SC

Q:How much did you spent on moding your SC?

*a few buck$.. $350 on muffs/labor(had hi-flow muffa and put oem back on..) custom maf adapter (free) w/k&N filter..$35
**Custom intake about $40 bucks give or take http://photos.yahoo.com/the_ikon1911

Q:How much faster did it get you?

* a few extra HP and throttle response..

Q:What don't you like about the ride quality, muffler sound...that you have to replace with after market parts?

*I like a lil more exaust note myself

"I agree with personal taste, but if you do it too much you are changing your Lexus a performance machine or a pimp machine . It is a luxury car."

*I agree 100%!!! Keep the cars looking as stock as possible..(there's nothing wrong with wheels and a few small touches and such.. Just all the other garbage..) IMO

"I thought you guy say that Lexus is the best machine made on this earth .

If you like fast car, why don't you save the $10K on moding your Lexus and buy a used Corvette. The corvette is fast in stock already. If you put money in to mod. it, the car will be a monster."

***I AGREE 100%!!! Had a C5, 300ZX and ZXTT, 944, Mustang etc these cars can go really fast cheaper thousands of $$$ cheaper than the Lexus... The Lexus is NOT a sports car... We do waste toooooo mcuh money on making our Lexus fast.. It is almost funny when you look at it... I guess we are all bitten by the "import" craze... Want a fast import get a ZX TT, Supra TT, RX7 or 944 turbo... These cars are faster than ANY Lexus in the stock forms... Add $3000 to these cars (or even a Stang, Vette Z28)and embrass a Lexus with $10,000 added in mods...

"Mean while you still have a reliable Lexus to drive across the country when ever you like."

**Now that is worth a million bucks!!!

:eek: You know what I just figured out as I was finishing this post?... Most of the people talking are just that talking... There are only a few guys actually modding(ECU, intakes, torque converters, feul computers, susp. and brake upgrade, turbo, exhausts etc...) their cars and doing it well I may ADD... AdButler, Clint, UZZ "John", Jeff, Scott, Max, Direct, Wiz <he has the most radical looking SC that says I'm FAST...>, and a FEW others..... These guys Lexus actually look oem(except WiZ) with very tasteful wheels...

**So If we do MOD let's pattern our cars after these guys... Becasue they are doing it right, by keeping the image...

As for the rest of us... Let's just keep our cars mint and running smooth... Then make them fast as hell

The Ikon

Last edited by The Ikon; 01-29-02 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-26-02, 03:13 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, but adding $3k to a RX7 or ZTT or whatever is not going to let it compete with a SC300 with $10k...
sorry not in this life

Why not go buy a Vette? Because some of us think they are ugly... we know they are unreliable as hell... and their high-power aftermarket PALES in comparison to the SupraTT or Lexus SC300/GS300

Are we saying they are the best car to buy? Nope. For me, it IS the best car to buy. I want a car that I can drive to work everyday and also make 600rwhp on pump gas and be reliable. You can' do that with a Corvette unless you buy a C5 and pay major $$$ like over $50k to some company to turbocharge it. And even then; its still unreliable; it still looks like crap; and what would you rather have as a daily driver? A smooth riding SC300 with plenty of room for four and better gas mileage? Or a rough riding ugly C5 that gets < 20mpg Especially when the amount of money in the Lexus is only $10k and not >$50k. Not to mention its original purchase price of $13k and not $40k

Yup I'd pick the Lexus too. If you want to get into the handling arena; well no arguments there. I'd buy a 3rd gen RX-7; put on all the boltons; and a coil over setup. then there's no car you can buy except another 3rd gen that can outhandle the RX-7.
Old 01-26-02, 03:35 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Bean
Sorry, but adding $3k to a RX7 or ZTT or whatever is not going to let it compete with a SC300 with $10k...
sorry not in this life

Why not go buy a Vette? Because some of us think they are ugly... we know they are unreliable as hell... and their high-power aftermarket PALES in comparison to the SupraTT or Lexus SC300/GS300

Are we saying they are the best car to buy? Nope. For me, it IS the best car to buy. I want a car that I can drive to work everyday and also make 600rwhp on pump gas and be reliable. You can' do that with a Corvette unless you buy a C5 and pay major $$$ like over $50k to some company to turbocharge it. And even then; its still unreliable; it still looks like crap; and what would you rather have as a daily driver? A smooth riding SC300 with plenty of room for four and better gas mileage? Or a rough riding ugly C5 that gets < 20mpg Especially when the amount of money in the Lexus is only $10k and not >$50k. Not to mention its original purchase price of $13k and not $40k

Yup I'd pick the Lexus too. If you want to get into the handling arena; well no arguments there. I'd buy a 3rd gen RX-7; put on all the boltons; and a coil over setup. then there's no car you can buy except another 3rd gen that can outhandle the RX-7.
I agree with most of it. But if I wanted a car for street racing and cornering I would buy a Subaru Impreza. I would buy the older one and do engine swap to the newer EJ20 engine. These guys were made to handle well anywhere! Sure, it's not the best handling car in the world, but guess what, it always wins the races on a track. I've read an article from Europe that Subaru Impreza STi is 3rd best track car with NSX closely behind it and Lotus Elise at 2nd place.

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 01-26-02 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-26-02, 06:08 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Now Bean I love the SC as well... BUT $10K is nothing but a turbo kit @ about $5K plus about another $1k to install and tune, miscellaneous... $400 - $600 for exhaust work, $2K for rim and tire upgrade $1K for brake upgrade, $1k for suspension upgrade... $1k for clutch kit incudling labor.... What about getting the car tunedup before the modding more $$$...

$5K turbo kit
$1K labor, misc
$400 - 600 exhaust/labor
$2K rim/tires
$1K brakes upgrade/labor
$1K clutch/labor
$?? service/labor

Add all that together and you still have a Lexus slower than a ZXTT, RX7, Supra TT, 944 Turbo, C5 Vette, etc...

$3K for 300ZXTT... JWT ecu was around $700, Exhaust was $700, electronic boost controller $500, Stillen air intake $400, Blow off valve $500... All equals to a well kicked turbo Lexus ***... I had a TT remember... I had a Vette and there is no way a SC300 turbo with a Stage 1, 2, can beat a C5 with $3000 in mods... NO WAY my friend... NO WAY...

I spent less than $1500 w/labor and achieved mid to high 12s with just a T/C, Muffs, air intake on street tires and chrome oem wheels...

944 Turbo S.... Autothority $600- 800 2 chips, Intake $150, boost controller $500..... 1/4 time IS 12.9!!! from mid to high 13s stock... This info was in European Car a few years ago....

RX7, Supra... same goes..... fast fast fast..... simple bolt ons... Check the facts and prices yourself....

Question? How fast do YOU honestly think a Stage1, 2 etc.. in a SC3 turgo upgrade is going to get you? Anyone expecting 12's for $5000 bucks is sadly mistaken... If any company promises this tell them to put it in writing OR drag the car while you are present witnessing the times...... A stock time is on AVERAGE 15.6 or so in the SC3 and you expect to get to 12.6 or so for $5K?

I have a VW Karmann Ghia that the engine is getting rebuilt to 1915cc and just 175hp that is going to do the 1/4 @ 13.6 or so.. All for $1000 dollars with install and the tranny is rebuilt w/install for only $600.00 Carbs dual $500, hi-po clutch $300 w/labor.. Total with a VW a person can hav a faster car for $6000 CAR, PARTS, and ALL the MODS!!! in MINT condition... Just wanted to add that about the VW

ComputerWiz what was/is your fastest times and how much have you spent? Clint, Scott, Jeff, etc? Also add the labor for these mods IF a person had to pay for the labor...

****I would love to see a turbo SC3 spank a RX7 ***... But for the sake of HONESTY... IF a person is looking for a faster car to build from... The Lexus is not high on the list IF you are trying to spent a few $3K or so dollars..

As VQT said get the other car to run and the Lexus to travel fast in... Keep modding guys... Let's be non-bias on other cars IF they are a better speed choice for the money.. Beleive or not some people think Lexus cars suck... I got more thumbs up in the C5. ZX, my Karmann Ghia than my SC4... So the beauty is in the eyeof the beholder...

I love my SC... please don't ban me from the forums......

Last edited by The Ikon; 01-26-02 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-26-02, 06:18 PM
black sc
Pole Position

Modifying a SC 400, hmmmm. well it depends. Do you consider a cold air intake or muffler change maodifying? I don't really see that many SCs all decked out. It really depends on the owner. If modifying a SC is for the better, affordable, and easy enough. Why not? It also depends if this is a daily driver, 2nd car, etc. Are you modifying the car for looks, sound, performance, all, etc? I know these cars are luxury cars but, if you crack a wheel and decide to upgrade your wheels for the same or a little more. Is it worth it? It all depends on the owner of the car. Radical upgrades such as, boring out the engine and putting cams. Well, that depends also. I have done it but, not on an SC and probably would not go with that option but, there are other people who will. I personally like to hear everyone's input about anything that has to do with the SC or even any car, if it does not pertain to my particular model.

Last edited by black sc; 01-26-02 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-26-02, 08:21 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Modification your SC

Originally posted by VQT
How much did you spent on moding your SC?

about $4500.
How much faster did it get you?
Lots faster. Better handling too.
What don't you like about the ride quality, muffler sound...that you have to replace with after market parts?
The car is too quiet stock.. I'm looking for a nice medium, so I'm putting a lot of effort into finding the right exhaust parts. The ride needs to be more reassuring and handling-oriented, the older SC's tried to pick up the fancy of the Cadillac crowd, and Lexus changed that in 1995.
If you like fast car, why don't you save the $10K on moding your Lexus and buy a used Corvette. The corvette is fast in stock already. If you put money in to mod. it, the car will be a monster.
I don't like American cars, because my experience is that they're mostly unreliable, poorly engineered, and in the case of the Corvette (assuming it's a C5) it lacks the refinement and comfort the Lexus has. Same reason I didn't get a Supra. The Corvette and Supra are both track/drag cars that would be used for all-out racing. My car makes it to the illegals once a year and the track maybe twice a year, and then it's only for drags. Also, I'm sure I'd be just as happy in other ways with a ZO6, but I'd probably have a suspended license too. It's all about balance.
[/B]
Old 01-26-02, 08:54 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

The Soarer is a beautiful car but needs the extra speed:

Custom 3" exhaust, stainless, straight through, no cats £558
Home built turbo boost controller £80
Apexi pod filter £125

The result is 0-60 under 6secs, about 330BHP @ flywheel, just enough not to get too embarassed.

Quick Reply: Modification your SC