SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

The HELL with MODS, Is your SC running right?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-02, 10:16 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I got this info from DirectQL

"Check this page. They're 129.99 bucks but I am sure you can find them somewehre else too perhaps even cheaper. "

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/default.asp

Ikon
Old 02-06-02, 07:47 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Post HellaBoy here's some answers to your question

Coil info in this thread a page or two back...

Plugs and wires install https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...979#post150979

plugs info https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=26360

oil/ filter https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=32460
Old 02-06-02, 07:06 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My local Toyota dealership cannot order parts. They tried, but I have to drive to Tulsa (2 hours legal speed) to get some from a dealership. However, most parts should just swap over from a Supra, right?
Old 02-08-02, 09:24 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Default Is my Sc running right?

Thankfully the power train is good. The car drives better than the day I bought it. Mine is stock and I get considerable wheelspin on takeoff with 225s. Acceleration is silky smooth. I do not know if it just mental but if I forget to change the oil after about 4000 miles I can feel a major difference. But then again I can feel a couple bags of groceries sitting in the back too. I was considering doing a performance mod but the deal fell through (see the recent post about the supercharger in SwiftRacing forum). I should probably have payed more attention to the interior since I go hiking a lot and sometimes drag a lot of the trail with me into the car. I will slowly fix this car up as I retire it as a daily driver so I can still enjoy it in 30 years.

I aspire to buy this wing to round out the smooth trim of the SC.

Old 02-10-02, 05:35 PM
rboorgu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well,

Just got my car back from the major tune up. The car is definetely smoother, but no real increase in power. It still dynoes 198-200 rwhp. 0-60 6.3 seconds. I guess I am going to have to lose the cats to really open this thing up.

Raj
Old 02-10-02, 06:19 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi everyone...

I'm new to the forum and I was reading about a few problems that some people are having with their SC400s. UZZ30's (as they're known here in Australia) is the version that was exported to the USA and rebadged as a Lexus, and trust me, compared to some problems some people are having here with their UZZ31's, the USDM SC400's are probably an easier model to repair than our JDM models!!

For instance, a couple of guys have complained about their TEMS suspension. This is only on the UZZ31 models (so it was never brought to the USA). While usually very reliable, when they need fixing; THEY NEED FIXING!! Sometimes the job will cost around $1000 (from what I hear) as this model uses air-suspension parts.

Secondly, one of the biggest problems for the Soarer/SC400 is the instrument binnacle. I'm sure everyone here knows that the JDM Soarer came out with a digital display dash, known as the "Multivision Display". When this goes, the whole bottom bar on the instrument display doesn't light up, and when the top part goes guess what? That doesn't show either. Luckily I haven't had this problem Another difficulty on the UZZ31 is the Electro Multivision screen (an imbedded display screen in the centre console where a normal stereo goes). Don't even go their!!

I'm not trying to put these cars down though, they're truly magnificent cars... which is why I bought one My model is a 1993 Toyota Soarer 2.5GT-TL (JDM twin turbo with all the fruit). I've only had her for just over a month and already I've clocked up nearly 4000~5000kms. The following have been done to/checked the car since I picked her up...

* Fitted an R-Spec turbo timer to preserve my turbos
* Had the timing belt changed for a new one (even though I haven't done the full 100000 kms/60000 mls yet)
* My car doesn't smoke or miss at idle or revving
* New oil was put in when I picked her up, and is being changed in about 2000~3000kms time
* No windshield cracks
* New brake pads when the car landed in Australia, soon to be replaced with either TRD/TOM's/GReddy pads
* A/C and heater works just fine
* Everything is in immaculate condition.

I know that I've only had my Soarer for a month and it hasn't been a long time to fully evaluate my car, but she's still just as quiet as new, with no rust, interior is like new (even though being a 1993 model), with very low kms for it's age (picked her up with nearly 77000kms and I've just clocked over 80000kms... if you understand typical Japanese driving culture that's average/lower than average mileage... full service history), as is the bodywork and the mechanicals (she purrrrrrrrs), there's no scary turbo whine but I'm still having them checked over and getting them strengthened just in case. To be honest with you all I'm very happy with my car and couldn't expect any more from it
Attached Thumbnails The HELL with MODS, Is your SC running right?!?!-soarer_nightshot_001.jpg  
Old 02-11-02, 01:05 PM
mrKophee
Driver School Candidate

Default AVS Sport tires

Hey Anthracite, I noticed you had Yoko-Avs Sport tires, I got some of these with my 17s 245/45/17, did you notice the steering become more sensitive to uneaven roads, like pulling the wheels to one side or the other? I'm trying to decide what kind of tires to get next? Thanks.
Old 02-11-02, 01:10 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

JoRule, welcome to Club Lexus

Hermosa, I think you need that wing!!:eek:
Old 02-11-02, 02:00 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default yes..those tires are VERY sensitive

Mr. Kophee

I always feel the tires going in the direction of the road. BUT..I felt that in every z rated 35 series tire. THe tires stick, the feel is sensitive cuz of the 18 inch rims, so I've grown used to that feel.

I don't think it should deter you from purchasing them
Old 02-12-02, 02:44 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Hi The Ikon,

Thanx I know I don't have a Lexus SC300 or SC400, but hey, it's a Soarer and it's the same thing, just from an Australian owner's view Hopefully I'll be able to help with things for the USDM cars as well as the JDM models too
Attached Thumbnails The HELL with MODS, Is your SC running right?!?!-soarer_lawnshot_002.jpg  
Old 02-14-02, 01:07 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up Nice Soarer

Soarer, SC same thing! You guys just have the better options
Old 02-14-02, 01:50 PM
slowtan
Driver

Default Ignition Coils

I am trying to do my 60K mile maint. and have already flushed all my fluids . . Tranny , brake , power steering, coolant . I now want to do my tune up but after reading some post I was questioning how many coils, rotor , caps my car seems to have? I have a 1997 SC300. I purchased some Accel wires from spiderautomotive. Has anyone used these wires? Accel has been good to me in the past so that is why I stuck with them
Old 02-14-02, 02:24 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Default Wussuuuuuup?!

Hi everyone,

Yes the Soarer and the SC is the same, it does have a few more features, but at least your (USDM) SC's don't have Japanese script for warning messages!!
Old 03-07-02, 01:09 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

This thread is going back into the reg. post...
Old 03-13-02, 01:36 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

wow since Jan. I never clicked on this thread. lots of good info here . when I got my car, I thought I got one of unlucky sc. I had lots of problems like, A/C not working, side mirror, speakers, keyless entry, security system, A/C control display, speed needles, power seat, etc.. and with help from all of you, most of my problems are gone. thanks again (I still need to fix keyless entry and A/C control display LCD).
I think it's time for me to do some work on engine area now. I'll tune up plugs/wires/cap/rotor etc.. and I wanna change my rims/tires. does anybody know if GS 17" alloy rims fit nice on our car?

Quick Reply: The HELL with MODS, Is your SC running right?!?!