Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bosch Platinum +4

dose anyone have the +4's in the sc4, do they preform better or not
Old 01-19-02, 08:54 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Mullah Ali Hamed,

Please stick with the Denso Iridiums if you want the best performance out of your toyota engine, the Bosch +4 are okay but not worth the cost and the Densos are way better anyway in performance and longevity, they are made for our motors.

Bismallah,

Erfan
Old 01-19-02, 11:56 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Does anyone know who offers the Denso's at a good value on the net? ALso with good quick service?
Old 01-19-02, 12:04 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the plus-4s in my car now.. They appear to run as good or better than the stock plugs... I had NGK last time now.. I did a tune up a month or so ago...

***https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=27465

I say go with the plus4 with the overall tune up... either way it will be the same...

The Ikon
Old 01-19-02, 04:28 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.btpautoparts.com/sparkplugsframes.html

These guys seem to be good
Old 01-19-02, 04:30 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

You need to get the IK20 model, 8 of them, Good luck
Old 01-20-02, 07:59 PM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

I had the +4 on my car. I replaced them with Denso IR, and I believe the car runs better than it did with +4.
I bought mine from the dealer for about $11 a peace. You can use the plugs that go to GS400.
Old 01-21-02, 07:44 AM
xBlkGs430x
Lead Lap

but do you think i should put them in instead of the stock plugs or not
Old 01-21-02, 09:40 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+4s are a joke. EVERY engineer that I have come across; I ask the same question; and a lot of them are in the automotive industry.

"Are the 4tipped spark plugs better?"
"HELL NO, they are probably worse" is the reaction I usually get

Electricity will flow on the easiest path as possible... usually this means it will take the shortest path; so if one prong is lower by a micrometer; the spark will jump to it. the spark will NEVER jump to all four or even two for that matter... it will always be jumping to one prong; which is the same damn effect as a normal spark plug. Bosch uses this +4 crap as a marketing scheme... just like Intel with the P4... they want you to think that more is better... its not.

Follow the others advice you see in this thread: get the same plugs as what your car came with.
Old 01-21-02, 10:19 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I swear by NGK plugs!!!
Old 01-21-02, 10:25 AM
joelchicago
Rookie

Right on BEAN! As an electrical engineer (who just happens to have studied spark plugs a while last year), I can definitely tell you that's 100% right. It may jump around a little when new, but only if you don't bump anything on the install. And then, within 500 miles, a favorite path is chosen and only one electrode is used.

I'm a big fan of regular Bosch platinum plugs yet. I still haven't found the benefit of Iridium in my cars, other than long life. The only other plugs I use are Halo plugs, which have a unique head design, and I use them in all my Honda and a few Toyota applications (gas mileage improvement and even performance gains in my old MR2, Accord, etc), Lexus not included. I put regular old Bosch in my SC4 2 weeks back and it's been smooth sailing since....
Old 01-21-02, 04:57 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

The Bosch are good plugs, but the Denso is designed for your motor and will last a heck of alot longer. IF the Bosch Platinum is working then wait till next change and use Denso Iridium.
Old 01-22-02, 06:59 AM
xBlkGs430x
Lead Lap

dose this mean they are going to suck, are they going to preform the same as stock, the stock ones have 94k miles on them, would i tell any difference, and when would i have to change the +4's again is it going to be that long or do they not last that long
Old 01-22-02, 07:03 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

The Denso Iridium plugs are going to give you better performance over the Bosch, you will notice better gas mileage and smoother idle.
Old 01-22-02, 09:09 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally posted by Ali Hamed
dose this mean they are going to suck, are they going to preform the same as stock, the stock ones have 94k miles on them, would i tell any difference, and when would i have to change the +4's again is it going to be that long or do they not last that long
Honestly 94K on ANY plugs is tooooooooooooooo long. IMO I had NGK in the coupe at first and the +4 appear to be better so far. Maybe it's because the plugs are new or because I changed the wires again with the caps.. It's hard to tell, but a "good" plug is what it needed..

From all understanding iridium plugs only major differnce is that it will last longer over it's comp. Now if you are not into servicing your ride(YOU SHOULD BE)! Get the longest lasting plugs.. BUT if you change them as directed in the manual get Bosch +4 or +2, NGK, Champions, etc.. as long as it is their upper quality platinum plugs...

:eek:Whether you spend $11.99 per plug or $2.99 per plug For everyday driving 95% of SC owners(other car owners as well...) would NEVER feel or NOTICE the difference between the plugs.. I have felt the new oem plugs/wires, NKG plugs, Bosch plugs and the feeling is all the same in terms of engine idle, hp, mpg with NEW plugs installed...

If your car has been maintained and running strong.. You WILL NOT notice... Anyone says otherwise is pulling your leg...

Last edited by The Ikon; 01-22-02 at 09:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Bosch Platinum +4