SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How to install 97 side skirts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-08, 01:21 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sc300max

This is awesome information. Your second screw from the left that "holds the bottom of the side skirt to the body". What did you screw these into? I assumed you removed the plug that was in the hole and inserted some other type of grommet?
Old 02-15-08, 01:27 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300max

2. Listed from left to right:
-Screw that holds the side of the skirt in front of the rear wheel/back of front wheel.
-Screw that holds the bottom of the side skirt to the body. Only used 3 since one of the holes did not line up.
-Screw that mounts in the white squared clip as mentioned above.
-White clip that holds the skirt to the side of the body.

Which of these screws are from Lexus for this particular application (apart from the last one?)

My question is the 3 holes on either side - what are you putting in there?

Jonny

Last edited by Dx3; 02-15-08 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-15-08, 01:28 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its actually just tapped into the underside of the body.

Here is a pic of it. Also, not sure what that round rubber piece is. I pulled it out and there was a hole.

Old 02-15-08, 01:41 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Its actually just tapped into the underside of the body.

Here is a pic of it. Also, not sure what that round rubber piece is. I pulled it out and there was a hole.

Those rubber things go directly into a 97+ underside. That is what holds them in. For us - we have to run a screw up there

Jonny
Old 02-15-08, 01:42 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

You know what guys, I have a strange feeling that my side skirts are on opposite ends. I did some measurements and it seems like they should lineup and bolt right on to those round rubber plugs if I were to switch them around. I'm gonna have to wait until the body shop is done touching up the side skirt to get a concrete answer. The only difference I see from left/right skirt is that on the bottom of the skirt there is diagonal crease near the end. Here is a pic of that crease and it is currently behind the front tire on my driver's side. Is this crease in the correct spot or should it be in front of the rear tire?

Old 02-15-08, 01:44 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dx3
Which of these screws are from Lexus for this particular application (apart from the last one?)

My question is the 3 holes on either side - what are you putting in there?

Jonny
The white clip is most likely oem, but the rest are probably not.
Old 02-15-08, 01:47 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

You know what guys, I have a strange feeling that my side skirts are on opposite ends. I did some measurements and it seems like they should lineup and bolt right on to those round rubber plugs if I were to switch them around. I'm gonna have to wait until the body shop is done touching up the side skirt to get a concrete answer. The only difference I see from left/right skirt is that on the bottom of the skirt there is diagonal crease near the end. Here is a pic of that crease and it is currently behind the front tire on my driver's side. Is this crease in the correct spot or should it be in front of the rear tire?
You're right. I think you have them backwards. The only difference that I could make out is that one end of the sideskirt has an extension downard about 1/4" that allows the side skirt to fit over the 2 screws located right behind the front wheel well. Therefore, the small extension needs to go forward. Once you do that, 3/4 of the holes line up with the rubber grommets on the bottom side of the vehicle. The fourth does not.
Old 02-15-08, 02:00 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Ok so that crease/quarter inch extension downward should be in back of the front wheel well? That is how mine sits right now.
Old 02-15-08, 02:08 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Ok so that crease/quarter inch extension downward should be in back of the front wheel well? That is how mine sits right now.
Not the one you showed. There is no crease. The entire side skirt drops about 1/4" on one side from the edge of the skirt back about 6 inches. The whole skirt is lower.

I'll snap a pic tonight.
Old 02-15-08, 02:13 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shern
Not the one you showed. There is no crease. The entire side skirt drops about 1/4" on one side from the edge of the skirt back about 6 inches. The whole skirt is lower.

I'll snap a pic tonight.

Cool, thanks.
Old 02-15-08, 02:14 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

You know they say L and R on the inside of the skirts right

As for the clips - the white one you have there is different than the white ones I used.

If you need any detailed pics of the sideskirts - I still have my drivers side to install so I can take pictures of anything you need.

Jonny
Old 02-15-08, 02:19 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dx3

As for the clips - the white one you have there is different than the white ones I used.

If you need any detailed pics of the sideskirts - I still have my drivers side to install so I can take pictures of anything you need.

Jonny

Yea I thought they did when I installed them. Guess I may have overlooked it during installation.

Thanks Jonny, can you verify which skirt is the driver's side since they look pretty symmetrical.
Old 02-15-08, 02:35 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Yea I thought they did when I installed them. Guess I may have overlooked it during installation.

Thanks Jonny, can you verify which skirt is the driver's side since they look pretty symmetrical.
Sure thing man. I will take some pics when I get home

Jonny
Old 02-15-08, 10:32 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Okay folks. Here goes. The skirts are dirty but I cleaned up the areas of most interest.

The picture below is taken from right behind the front wheel well. You will see 2 screws in the picture.

The second picture shows the "indentation" I mentioned that gives you the spacing to clear these screws. This side needs to obviously be towards the front of the vehicle.

And the third picture is the rear end of the side skirt.

Originally Posted by Dx3

Jonny
Damn. Mine were so dirty when they arrived, I couldn't even see it. I was planning on cleaning them this weekend so it would have been obvious.

I ordered the hardware from Carson to install these. I'll let you know if I had more success than dx3 with OEM hardware. We'll see.

Last edited by shern; 02-16-08 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-16-08, 01:42 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Thanks Shern. I believe my skirts are installed properly since that indentation is near the front of the car.

Quick Reply: How to install 97 side skirts?