SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How to install 97 side skirts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-07, 11:51 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, Jonny, I am slowly getting the idea what you doing now...
Is it gonna be a beast???
Old 11-05-07, 01:06 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
wow, Jonny, I am slowly getting the idea what you doing now...
Is it gonna be a beast???
Define "beast" If by beast you mean "Will it get you from A to B in 11 seconds?" then the answer is yes

Jonny
Old 02-14-08, 08:43 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Resurrection!

I am about to slap on some 97 sideskirts and have a question.

There are four holes along the bottom of the vehicle. As mentioned in this thread, there are 4 grommet plugs in there. Well, it's not obvious from the pictures above what part is used to attach the skirts to these large holes.

I ordered 12 of the 75868B plugs. Are these large enough to attach the skirts to the body? The holes are both approximately 1/2" in diameter.

Or do I have it wrong? Are there screw plugs and screws used to attach them?

Also, DX3 mentioned that the four attachment points at the top of the skirts has a screw from pre-97 parts. Does this require a grommet plug for the push tabs that attach to the skirts? I would like to do this correctly with OEM parts. Trying to avoid 3M tape at all costs.

Thanks.
Old 02-15-08, 06:26 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by shern
Resurrection!

I am about to slap on some 97 sideskirts and have a question.

There are four holes along the bottom of the vehicle. As mentioned in this thread, there are 4 grommet plugs in there. Well, it's not obvious from the pictures above what part is used to attach the skirts to these large holes.

I ordered 12 of the 75868B plugs. Are these large enough to attach the skirts to the body? The holes are both approximately 1/2" in diameter.

Or do I have it wrong? Are there screw plugs and screws used to attach them?

Also, DX3 mentioned that the four attachment points at the top of the skirts has a screw from pre-97 parts. Does this require a grommet plug for the push tabs that attach to the skirts? I would like to do this correctly with OEM parts. Trying to avoid 3M tape at all costs.

Thanks.
Shern,

I don't know how many people who claim that the 97 sideskirts are a direct bolt-on to the pre 97 body have actually done it and not given it to their body guy. Unless I have a special car that is different than everyone else's - it is not a straight bolt on.

OK, from the top...

Along the top of the 97 side skirt there are 8 brackets.
X X X X X X X X

The red X's have a white clip ( will have to post a picture later) that connect to this bracket and attach to the car. This, for the most part, it's the main way the sideskirt is held on to your car. Now the 2 black brackets on either end. I bought every single 97+ clip/bracket/screw ($137 worth) to do this correctly. There is NOT a correct clip/screw that will connect these together on a pre-97 vehicle. I have even had my bodyguy come by the house and look at it. I am sure you could make it work if you rigged something, but I found it wasn't necessary. I bought some 3M commercial molding tape , sanded off the black X's and stuck the 3M tape on there. I cleaned off the side of the car with alcohol to clean it up. Turned out, it holds tight on there without even needing the 3M tape.

There are then about 6 holes on the bottom of the sideskirt that would connect to the bottom of your vehicle. Pre 97's (well at least my pre-97) does not have these holes on the bottom of the vehicle. While trying to work out what to, I tried to move the sideskirts at the bottom to see if air could get in there and essentially make them flap - not happening. The curvature of the sideskirt and the strength of the sideskirt make it almost impossible to move this.

If you wanted, you could get some self-tapping screws and a washer and screw the bottom of the skirt into the underside of the vehicle. Personally, I don't feel it is necessary.

From anyone who knows me, I do stuff correctly, regardless of the cost. If there was a way to attach these differently I would have done it. But myself, and several other people didn't find an alternative way.

I have only done one side so I will continue to work out a way to get the sideskirt on like it would from the factory. Also, attach the sideskirt BEFORE you put on the door molding!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jonny
Old 02-15-08, 06:41 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you have a lot of time, because 97 side skirts is quite a lot.
Old 02-15-08, 07:27 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to do this too but I don't have the door mouldings coming with it. Would this be a problem or will it still be ok? Anyone have pics of them installed w/o the mouldings?
Old 02-15-08, 07:32 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mr2tosc4
I'm about to do this too but I don't have the door mouldings coming with it. Would this be a problem or will it still be ok? Anyone have pics of them installed w/o the mouldings?
plenty of people have them without the door moldings, it will be ok. to make it perfect you want the door moldings.
Old 02-15-08, 08:22 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

What is the main purpose of the molding? Is it there for aesthetic reasons or is it there for functional reasons? The diagram classifies it as TAPE Moulding #1, tape?
Old 02-15-08, 08:32 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

What is the main purpose of the molding? Is it there for aesthetic reasons or is it there for functional reasons? The diagram classifies it as TAPE Moulding #1, tape?
It is not tape. It just gets rid of a gap between the door and the sideskirt. It is a must if you are upgrading - I think it looks stupid without it...

They come pre-painted from the factory - that is why they are so expensive.

Jonny
Old 02-15-08, 08:54 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

It is not tape. It just gets rid of a gap between the door and the sideskirt. It is a must if you are upgrading - I think it looks stupid without it...

They come pre-painted from the factory - that is why they are so expensive.
how much do they go for? i don't see a lot of them being sold used. still would appreciate some pics of them with and without the moldings installed.
Old 02-15-08, 09:21 AM
Din
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aliga
plenty of people have them without the door moldings, it will be ok. to make it perfect you want the door moldings.
idunno if u can really see but i had them on with out the newer moldings for a long time..

Old 02-15-08, 10:23 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

how much do they go for? i don't see a lot of them being sold used. still would appreciate some pics of them with and without the moldings installed.
They are about $120 per side painted.

Look at any 97 and you will see them. Din posted a picture above without them.

No-one sells them because they have no reason to remove them. Generally people who have a 97+ just stick with the 97 kit, it is usually the people who have a pre-97 who will buy any aftermarket body kit.

Jonny
Old 02-15-08, 11:53 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

I can see a long gap but with too much shine on Din's car it's hardly noticeable lol. Off topic, I still love that car over your current one Din, dunno, must be the color and the vertex.
Old 02-15-08, 12:22 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

DX3

Thanks for the insight.

That sucks about the 4 black X's that you mention; those were the ones I was most interested in. I'll take a look at this to see if there is something I can rig up. If there is nothing, then I'll probably go the route you did with 3M tape.

There are 4 holes on the bottom side of the body for the pre-97 SCs. 3 of these holes line up exactly, 1 of them doesn't. I expect to drill a hole in the side skirt to make that 4th hole line up. The plan now is to find some sort of grommet that I can fit into these 4 holes that I can screw something into. It may be a lost cause but I'm sure there is something that I can figure out. I distinctly remember in my time farting around with cars grommets that may work. I'll report on my findings.

Personally, I hate the gap at the bottom of the door without the 97+ lower door mouldings. It is a REQUIREMENT for me to install the 97+ side skirts. To each his own.

Steve
Old 02-15-08, 01:13 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pic #1 is how it looks on the rear of my passenger side skirt of my 93 sc300. The 97 skirt is currently removed to get touched up. The pattern on mine starting from the rear is:

3 horizontally oval holes, 1 white squared clip for screw, 1 big round hole, 4 smaller round holes, 1 white squared clip for screw, then 2 horizontally oval holes.

I used the white clips for the 5 oval holes and the 4 smaller round holes and it holds up just fine.

Also have a pic of each type of mount that holds the side skirt in place below in the second pic. Not sure if the rest of the screws are OEM, but the white clips should be.

2. Listed from left to right:
-Screw that holds the side of the skirt in front of the rear wheel/back of front wheel.
-Screw that holds the bottom of the side skirt to the body. Only used 3 since one of the holes did not line up.
-Screw that mounts in the white squared clip as mentioned above.
-White clip that holds the skirt to the side of the body.

Did not use any 3m tape and it holds up just fine and flush with the body. Hope this is helpful to you guys.

Here is a diagram for reference:

Last edited by TheMole; 02-15-08 at 01:21 PM. Reason: added pic

Quick Reply: How to install 97 side skirts?