SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300 Main Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-07, 02:26 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SC300 Main Fuse

EDIT: Got the correct part second time around. This time I got a parts guy that actually knew what I was talking about. For future reference, the part number is 9098208270 and it costs around $14 from Longo Lexus.

So I was looking into the fuse box and noticed the main fuse looked a bit crispy so I decided to change it out. Well it was so brittle that it broke into pieces. I go to get a replacement at the Lexus dealer and they give me a
100a fuse that does not fit. I have been to Toyota/Lexus and various auto parts stores with no luck of finding one that fits. Anyone know where I can get the correct fuse?? I need it asap since the car does not run without it. I don't want to "make" the new fuse fit.

You can see how the one that came out of my car is squared while the new ones are rectangular. Also the base is different as the new one does not slide into the slot and the the holes are too small for the bolts.

Last edited by TheMole; 08-22-07 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-22-07, 05:36 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

So after visiting several auto parts stores I went back to the Lexus dealer (Longo Lexus) as a last resort and was helped by a parts guy that actually knew what I was talking about. The first guy in the morning was unwilling to help and he just said that the smaller one is all they got. On a side note, my passenger foglight that was not working started working again (via this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=301523) after I replaced the main fuse. I'm not sure if the main fuse was the issue, but I'll see if it goes out again.
Old 08-23-12, 03:29 PM
KennethP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I searched my problem and found this thread so I'll wake it from the dead instead of creating a new one. Decided to tackle my underhood fuse box. I open it to find a wonderful gift. Busted main fuse and a blown up cover. The metal parts were kind of twisted together in ghetto style. Trying to remove it proved impossible as the metal portion seems to be welded in. The part number that the OP mentions is described as FUSIBLE LINK. WIRING & CLAMP #9098208270 for LEXUS. I thought it was just a 60A fuse; from that above description it seems the fuse box will need to be removed so I can remove the wire from the underside. However OP didn't mention that and the FSM just describes it as a fuse that can be pulled and replaced. What gives?

WTF?

Last edited by KennethP; 08-23-12 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Red X pictures
Old 08-24-12, 06:08 AM
KennethP
Driver School Candidate

Bump (Has anyone else had this problem?)
Old 08-24-12, 09:21 AM
KennethP
Driver School Candidate

Figured it out. Most of the big fuses have bolts running through them. So I just had to lift the sockets. Good thing they are sections because the plastic was damaged on the main fuse bolt so that explains the solder on the blown fuse. Heading to the junkyard in hopes they have an SC that isn't just frame. Will post pictures later.
Old 08-24-12, 06:41 PM
KennethP
Driver School Candidate

Lucky Me! They had a 92 SC400 with a fusebox that wasn't hacked off. Main difference is color of plastic and the lack of space for extra fuses. I'll search for a 95+ model on a future trip as I'd really like those slots for extra fuses.

Old Fuse holder - left side

Old fuse holder - right side (Alternator cable loose)

New fuse holder - All wired up!

Car cranks right up and my gauge cluster needles aren't dim!
Old 04-16-19, 01:24 AM
mitrius
Driver School Candidate

When you say “bolts running through them” what do you mean? I destroyed the popped fuse trying to get it out and still haven’t figured out how to yank it.

Originally Posted by KennethP
Figured it out. Most of the big fuses have bolts running through them. So I just had to lift the sockets. Good thing they are sections because the plastic was damaged on the main fuse bolt so that explains the solder on the blown fuse. Heading to the junkyard in hopes they have an SC that isn't just frame. Will post pictures later.
Old 04-16-19, 03:54 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mitrius
When you say “bolts running through them” what do you mean? I destroyed the popped fuse trying to get it out and still haven’t figured out how to yank it.
They are not your typical wedge type fuses as they are held in by bolts on the bottom as you can see in the pics. You need to undo these before you can remove the fuse. The following pic shows the holes that the bolts go through. Hope it helps!

The following users liked this post:
Golo1949 (06-25-22)