SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Badges...

Old 07-25-07, 10:08 AM
Member1115
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Badges...

Are there gun metal badges available anywhere? Or is this something that we have to paint ourselves? If I paint though, Im sure I wont be able to get that gun metal/chrome shine.

I searched eBay... and came up with nothing regarding gun metal SC badges.

Thanks.
Old 07-25-07, 10:12 AM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They must be painted. They can shine, with a good automotive clear. Not spray can.
Old 07-25-07, 10:18 AM
jattunit24
Driver

i took some spray to mine. but i need the paint can code. cause i dont think i got the right one. if anyone has done it i would appreciate it if they can get me the brand nd color code. thanx
Old 07-25-07, 10:43 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

paint them yourself. You will not find anything out there. And, even if you would, it would be WAY overpriced.

Grab some dental floss and a hair dryer. Proceed to get the glue behind the emblems warmed up while flossing them off the car. Each emblem has various numbers of studs (from 3-5, I believe). These studs only get in the way when you are trying to floss, but they help you put the emblem in the proper position when you reapply.

Use Goo Gone to get the glue off both your car and the back of the emblems. Rough up the painted surfaces of the emblems with steel wool or some mild grit sandpaper (no turning back at this point). Then, you are ready to paint your badges as they will now be able to accept the paint that you spray on them.

I would strongly suggest using a few coats of clear over the gunmetal for longevity's sake. You want your paint job to last for many years of being exposed to the elements. I have used 3M Mounting Tape for reapplication to the vehicle. It runs ~$3 and can be found at any mega mart in the automotive section.

Check out this thread: New Look...
His emblems are painted gunmetal.

Personally, I have painted my emblems Champagne Pearl, Gloss Black, Flat Black, and Silver Metallic (current).
Old 07-25-07, 10:49 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by na4now
They must be painted. They can shine, with a good automotive clear. Not spray can.
I tend to disagree with this assertion.

When I went gloss back, I went over with a gloss clear as well. The emblems were so glossy they were practically impossible to read without focus of your entire attention to reading the emblem. The clear I chose was a non-automative outdoor gloss clear. It worked really great.

I definitely think a vibrant sheen can be achieved with a $4 can of paint from a local hardware store.
Old 07-25-07, 11:39 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Got mine through Carson Toyota/Scion. I know that they sent them to a company known as Automotive Gold somewhere in Texas.
Old 07-25-07, 02:21 PM
shaitaan
Lexus Test Driver

I got my black chrome ones off of ebay they came out just fine
Old 07-25-07, 03:00 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

I have gold emblems, should the chrome roughed up before spraying? Or is that just extra unnecessary work?
Old 07-25-07, 05:28 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by habitat
I have gold emblems, should the chrome roughed up before spraying? Or is that just extra unnecessary work?
the paint needs something to grab on to in order to hold for any extended period of time. if you don't spend the $2 and the 20 minutes with some steel wool, you risk your emblem paint job chipping.

if you do rough them up and cover with clear, you can practically throw them against the concrete and they will not chip. I had experience with this accidently, and I was surprised at how the paint held perfectly after scraping on the concrete.
Old 07-25-07, 10:15 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

It's too bad Lexus decided to put holes in the body of the car when badging it with the emblems. I wanted to take everthing, except the "L" badges off mine. The "SC300" and "LEXUS" badge actually go into the body of the car. Kinda sucks.
Old 07-26-07, 07:08 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TTSC3
It's too bad Lexus decided to put holes in the body of the car when badging it with the emblems. I wanted to take everthing, except the "L" badges off mine. The "SC300" and "LEXUS" badge actually go into the body of the car. Kinda sucks.
yah, and all those little holes are a pain in the *** to fill, as I am doing while I repaint my car...

this thing woulda been debadged a long time ago if it wasn't for those...
Old 07-26-07, 07:37 AM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have painted my emblems. But i went with a pearl black, then sprayed a few clear coats over that.

His is my thread:https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=emblems
Old 07-26-07, 07:41 AM
Member1115
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool... thanks for the replies and for pointing me in the right direction with what I need to do.

I am curious though, is it pretty hard to fill in those alignment holes that the badges sit into? My SC is a 92, and though Im not sure at what year the allocation of the badges changed, I know that I would have much better preferred getting the "SC400" badge on the passenger side corner of the trunk lid as opposed to in the middle of the rear bumper below the "L" badge. I feel it makes the car look unbalanced... .

I have been wanting to make the switch of the badge location for sometime now, but never had the guts to tackled that issue.

So how hard is it to cover up those alignment holes, or is it even something we can do ourselves without having to take it up to the body shop for a repaint?

By the way... a long time ago I had read in another forum about some plug like pieces sold at the local auto parts store. However since at that time, it wasnt a major issue for me with the car I had, I didnt pay much attention to the details. Anyone else heard of these plugs?
Old 07-26-07, 10:23 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

generic plugs will look worse than just leaving the holes there. trying to fill in the holes yourself using touch up paint will look like crap.

to debadge or reallocate the badges properly, I would suggest going to a body shop and having them fil the holes, sand them down proper, and repaint. that is a hell of a lot of money to debadge.

I would wait until you are repainting the entire car, because now you will only be incurring a small additional fee to fill the holes as the entire car is already scheduled for paint.

Another option is a CF hood. This would save weight, look unique, and eliminate the badge holes in one fail swoop.

As far as a DIY debadging sequence: I would strongly suggest against it unless you do like Mitsuguy and fill, sand, and repaint everything yourself.
Old 07-26-07, 07:51 PM
Khaos
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blizzy
Another option is a CF hood. This would save weight, look unique, and eliminate the badge holes in one fail swoop.
Wrong. The hood doesn't have any badges. The CF trunk would eliminate a few of the badge holes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Badges...