SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

The following helped the excessive heat in the cabin factor...

Old 07-11-07, 09:44 PM
Member1115
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The following helped the excessive heat in the cabin factor...

I wanted to share the following with you guys regarding an accidental fix regarding that excessive heat that seems to come into the cabin through the pedal area, center console, vents, or wherever it was (or wasnt) determined to be coming from.

Anyways, a couple of weeks ago I had posted some problems I was having with my car suddenly taking a turn for the worse in the way the engine was driving/idling. Thanks to some of you guys shooting me back ideas and suggestions, I had determined that the problem was my ignition coils that had gone bad. Obviously I went ahead and replaced the ignition coils and therefore that problem was fixed.

However though, after a week or more worth of enjoying my cars drive , I notice something else. That excessive heat issue I have been dealing with (along with many of you guys as well) has now been drastically reduced. If I had to give it a percentage number, I would say its been reduced by about 80% to 90%. Though the issue is still present, nothing at all like before.

To compare, I remember that during night time freeway at 70+mph,about 75 degrees outside, driving with both windows down, and sunroof open; the heat in the cabin was unbearable. Now during daytime driving on city streets at 20 to 45mph, about 90 to 100 degrees, and only the door windows open; though warm inside by normal standards, cabin is not as hot as it used to get. Still warm, but not that unbearable sauna feeling of heat.

Now I have NOT done any other mechanical repairs and/or changed out any other components other than the ignition coils. Point being, and i'll leave this up to you guys who have the strong mechanical background, could the replacement of the ignition coils determine the heat factor displaced from per say the cats below the footwells?

I remember that when I had not yet changed out the ignition coils and fixed the situation, when I would drive the car, the heat displaced from below the exhaust system was tremendous. I changed out the coils, problem got fixed, and the exhaust minimized in heat.

So... I think I developed corpal tunnel now from all this typing, but it worth it cause I wanted to share this information with you guys in hopes that if some of you still have this heat problem and have some extra $ laying around for a pair of new ignition coils and the cabin heat is still unbearable for you, then you might give this a shot and see if it works for you guys too.

Oh and one last thing, and I doubt its irrelavant, but just in case, the ignition coils I picked up were Borg-Werner. Total cost on them was about $107 for both. And it is a piece of cake to change out.

If you guys have any further questions on what I did and/or didnt do, feel free to ask. I tried to cover as much as possible, but who knows... I might have forgotten something.

Once again... hope this helps some of you!!!
Old 07-12-07, 08:32 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

reasonable... definitely....

if the ignition coils were weak and not fully burning the air / fuel mixture, then the unburnt fuel gets trapped up in the cats, causing them to get hot and technically overheat...

many times this causes the cat to actually fail and warrant replacement... I have seen this all too often with people ignoring their check engine light, and it being a misfire or rich condition - left long enough, it will destroy and clog the cats...

good catch!
Old 07-12-07, 10:46 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much is it to replace this?
Old 07-12-07, 12:44 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am having this same prblem it feel like my legs are on fire thanks ill tell mrs supra she will be please to hear this do u have a write up