SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Toyota/Lexus Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-01, 02:38 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Toyota/Lexus Alternator

What's did the power steering pump fluid do to my alternator?

Can I just change the brushes or is it something else with SC/LS400 alternator contaminated with p/s pump fluid?

Anybody changed the alternator brushes for the SC yet?
From what I heard, changing Toyota/Lexus alternator brushes is very simple.
Old 12-19-01, 08:06 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Alternator

VQT, If you have a service manual. There are complete instructions that show you how to completely rebuild your alternator if thats what you want to do. Looking at the manual....it looks like the brushes are simple to replace.

gadgetSC
Old 12-19-01, 08:24 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C'mon, brushes? With all due respect, this is a Lexus. Do you perform a tune-up and change out the plug wires, while leaving the old spark plugs? I've remanufactured many alternators, take my advice, rebuild the entire unit as per the manual, or buy yourself a reman unit (new is too expensive to be worth it). Besides, if your PS pump leaked onto the unit, chances are the windings in the stator/rotor assemblies are shorted, and unless you have an alternator test bench, you could end up replacing 99 cent brushes and then having to do the whole job over again when you found out that the unit couldn't hold up under load. Trust me.
Old 12-19-01, 10:40 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Lex,
Your guy from Long Island doesn't want to UPS the alternator. I have to pick it up if I want to buy from you. That's not a good practice.

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
C'mon, brushes? With all due respect, this is a Lexus. Do you perform a tune-up and change out the plug wires, while leaving the old spark plugs? I've remanufactured many alternators, take my advice, rebuild the entire unit as per the manual, or buy yourself a reman unit (new is too expensive to be worth it). Besides, if your PS pump leaked onto the unit, chances are the windings in the stator/rotor assemblies are shorted, and unless you have an alternator test bench, you could end up replacing 99 cent brushes and then having to do the whole job over again when you found out that the unit couldn't hold up under load. Trust me.
Old 12-19-01, 11:23 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VQT, i'm surprised he wouldn't UPS the unit to you, if I knew I would have made arrangements for you, I ship things all day long. He's not 'my guy' though, I was just trying to help you out, he's sold plenty of units to ppl i've sent to him, but I guess you may have to source a unit locally. If you want to rebuild the unit yourself, I can help u with any problems, but at this point I guess you're just looking to pick up another unit. Let me know if I can help.
Old 12-19-01, 12:30 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Thanks Lex, the creator of Lexus

I may need your help if I rebuild the alternator.

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
VQT, i'm surprised he wouldn't UPS the unit to you, if I knew I would have made arrangements for you, I ship things all day long. He's not 'my guy' though, I was just trying to help you out, he's sold plenty of units to ppl i've sent to him, but I guess you may have to source a unit locally. If you want to rebuild the unit yourself, I can help u with any problems, but at this point I guess you're just looking to pick up another unit. Let me know if I can help.