Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****

Old 01-11-12, 10:31 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SadPanda
I've been reading through pages and pages now to get to what the 'magic' numbers are, and from what it seems, optimal offsets (with a roll and maybe slight pull-- no major work needed) is:

18x10 ~ 20 F
18x11 ~ 20 R

My Question:

I just stumbled on a good deal for a full set of wheels with tires, details are:

18x9 +3 F (225/35)
18x10.5 +4 R (225/40)

I'm pretty sure the fronts wont be any problem at all with just a roll, but are the rears ok? once I roll, perhaps pull a bit while doing so, will those not rub? Maybe with like -3 camber? I'm looking for actually flush, so once the springs compress, the wheel goes under the fender, not into it haha.

Also, their Meisters for reference. I hope 18" Meisters don't look small on a stock 97+ body...

opinions? input? Thanks!!
Front might need a slight pull, rear will need a roll and pull and lots of camber. 18's on a 97+ body look fine as long as you have the suspension to lower it right (not just springs).
Old 01-11-12, 10:37 PM
SadPanda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raine
Front might need a slight pull, rear will need a roll and pull and lots of camber. 18's on a 97+ body look fine as long as you have the suspension to lower it right (not just springs).
Thanks for the input!

I'm using an Eastwood roller, so I'm thinking I should be able to get it done-- you think around -4 camber could do it? I will get it aligned afterward so tire wear won't be as bad, but I want to stay away if I need camber thats going to kill all my tires...

And yes, suspension is in place
Old 01-11-12, 10:41 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SadPanda
Thanks for the input!

I'm using an Eastwood roller, so I'm thinking I should be able to get it done-- you think around -4 camber could do it? I will get it aligned afterward so tire wear won't be as bad, but I want to stay away if I need camber thats going to kill all my tires...

And yes, suspension is in place
Rolling the fronts flat are a little tough because of the little holes where the fender trim attaches, rears are easy.

Normally you'd get the camber set when you get the alignment. Plus, toe kills tires a lot faster than camber, so go to a good shop that knows how to align lowered cars.
Old 01-11-12, 10:45 PM
SadPanda
Driver School Candidate

Rolling the fronts flat are a little tough because of the little holes where the fender trim attaches, rears are easy.

Normally you'd get the camber set when you get the alignment. Plus, toe kills tires a lot faster than camber, so go to a good shop that knows how to align lowered cars.
Thanks for all the help, much appreciated

I got just the shop to do it too.

I'll stop cluttering this thread now, and hopefully only post again when this bid-niss is on my car
Old 01-13-12, 12:32 PM
LameSC300
Pole Position

I have a quick question, I'm getting ready to order some pbm coils, and I'm looking at running 18x10 +25 all around wrapped in some 225/40/18 tires.

My question will I be able to to go super low with this width/offset. I'm wanting it to sit flush but also really low. I know i'm going to need a roll and slight pull. Is this a good size, and will I need spacers?

any suggestions?

Thanks Austin!
Old 01-13-12, 01:12 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ run 255/35/18 in the rear for sure. It will be very easy to tuck. Im tucking 18x11 +20 rear with zero rubbing
Old 01-13-12, 08:39 PM
LameSC300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
^^^ run 255/35/18 in the rear for sure. It will be very easy to tuck. Im tucking 18x11 +20 rear with zero rubbing

Thanks man will do!
Old 01-15-12, 12:57 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i still have not come to a decision on what setup i want to run, should i get my coils first and decide on what my ride height will be before picking out my wheels. def want low offset with big lips but i only want to roll my fenders no pulling or cutting
Old 01-16-12, 12:19 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nova
i still have not come to a decision on what setup i want to run, should i get my coils first and decide on what my ride height will be before picking out my wheels. def want low offset with big lips but i only want to roll my fenders no pulling or cutting
Without rolling and pulling you can only go so far with "low offset/big lips" - it's like saying you want to slam your car but you only want to change springs.

Get the coilovers first, but regardless you won't be able to decide on ride height until you get new wheels because ride height is relative to what size wheels you run.
Old 01-16-12, 04:16 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Raine I see what ur saying and ihave no problem rolling the fenders but that's all I want to do as far as ride height as much as I'd love to be slammed the roads in nj won't permit it. At least for where and how I drive. Will stretching tires allow me to get a lower offset?
Old 01-16-12, 12:37 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nova
Raine I see what ur saying and ihave no problem rolling the fenders but that's all I want to do as far as ride height as much as I'd love to be slammed the roads in nj won't permit it. At least for where and how I drive. Will stretching tires allow me to get a lower offset?
I may sound critical here but I'm not trying to discourage you, just telling you what the reality is when it comes to the subject:

Again, you're kind of trying to ride both sides of the road - you want low offset/big lip, and you can't have that without rolling AND pulling. You can't slam your car because I'm guessing your roads in your area aren't lowered car-friendly, but you're considering stretching tires - which is less tire contact, less impact protection, and you're more prone to bending a wheel if you hit a pothole or something.

There is a certain sacrifice/compromise you need to make when it comes to low offset/big lip. I'm going to asume that what you mean by "low offset/big lip" is something no higher than +20, with wheel widths at minimum 9.5" front and 10.5" rear.

Assuming that's the case:
- Roll fenders
- Pull fenders to match wheel offset/tire sizing

Example: I had 10.5" +43 rears before, and that required just a roll, no pulling. I also had 8.5" +38 fronts before, that also required just a roll, no pulling. Obviously those aren't low offset/big lip.

And when it comes to the "stretched" look, then the sacrifice/compromise there is:
- Lower car more because stretched tire appears smaller on car
- Harsher ride due to using a smaller sized tire
- More prone to bending from road dangers (potholes, uneven cracks, railroad tracks, etc.)
- More prone to curbing (stretched tire protects nothing on the sides)

And finally, driving:
- Must scan road surface constantly
- Avoid certain roads that are really crappy
- Ride comfort is less lux, more harsh

You want the look, you have to do the work to get it dude.
Old 01-17-12, 09:27 AM
bfaleimu
Driver School Candidate

Hey all! I have a 92 sc400, and its my very first car, so I'm a total noob. Infact, just got my license today lol! I would like to purchase a set of wheels ( 18 x 8 +43 / 18 x 9 +44) and was hoping that theere wouldn't be a problem with clearance because I don't really want to do any modifications. Also, when reading tire measurements e.g. 245/30/18, is 245 the width of the tire from sidewall to sidewall, or just the width of the contact patch of the tire?!?! Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated, thanks
Bamidele Faleimu
Old 01-17-12, 10:26 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bfaleimu
Hey all! I have a 92 sc400, and its my very first car, so I'm a total noob. Infact, just got my license today lol! I would like to purchase a set of wheels ( 18 x 8 +43 / 18 x 9 +44) and was hoping that theere wouldn't be a problem with clearance because I don't really want to do any modifications. Also, when reading tire measurements e.g. 245/30/18, is 245 the width of the tire from sidewall to sidewall, or just the width of the contact patch of the tire?!?! Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated, thanks
Bamidele Faleimu
Those wheels are FWD offsets. They'll fit but they will be sunken in and will not look good on the car. You'll want to look at wider wheels with lower offsets; 8"/9" is pretty narrow for our cars.

For tire sizing, it goes like this:

245/30-ZR18

245 = actual tire width in millimeters
30 = sidewall height in percentage; in other words, 30% of the tire width
Z = speed rating
R = radial
18 = wheel diameter in inches
Old 01-17-12, 02:26 PM
bfaleimu
Driver School Candidate

Those wheels are FWD offsets. They'll fit but they will be sunken in and will not look good on the car. You'll want to look at wider wheels with lower offsets; 8"/9" is pretty narrow for our cars.

For tire sizing, it goes like this:

245/30-ZR18

245 = actual tire width in millimeters
30 = sidewall height in percentage; in other words, 30% of the tire width
Z = speed rating
R = radial
18 = wheel diameter in inches
Aww man! That really sucks because I really wanted these wheels (sigh). What kind of offset/wheel width should I be looking at keeping in mind that I don't want to modify the fenders? Thanks for your help by the way.
Old 01-17-12, 02:38 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Look through the thread bro, there's tons of setups here. you gotta do some work yourself =)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ****Official Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide for SC300/SC400****