SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Low profile floor jack for sc300/400?...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-07, 03:56 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Low profile floor jack for sc300/400?...

Has anyone found a low-profile floor jack that will fit under the front of the car and reach the engine subframe assembly without jacking one side of the car up? I'm tired of jacking the car up just to get the floor jack under it.

Unfortunately, driving the car up on wheel ramps isn't an option.

Thanks,
-scott
Old 04-04-07, 05:20 PM
Sleeper97
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try the craftsman racing jack. That is made for clearance on low cars but also depends on how low you lowered your car. I dont think any hydraulic jack can help you if your cars is less than 1 inch off the ground.
Old 04-04-07, 06:00 PM
chanh55
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car is so low that I have to drive over a 2x4 and then use a low profile racing jack... =(

This is the one I have:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91039

Great quality and great price...
Old 04-04-07, 06:12 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

I've owned both of the jacks mentioned, and I would take the harbor freight one over the craftsman anyday.

The craftsman just plain sucks. In about 1 year I returned the jack about 4 times until my warranty expired. The oil seals kept on leaking on every single jack, and the pressure would drop while jacking up the car. The last one I had lasted for about 4 months until the the release valve snapped while my car was in the air, and my warranty was over like 2 weeks before that.

I've tried the $80 and $135 us general jack. The pipe was flexing while lifting my accord. I didn't like the 80 dollar one, and decided to upgrade to the 135, and then I just returned that one too.

If I had the money I'd go for the AC jack, but the cost is a bit too high for me, so I just drive my car up on blocks, and then use a my dads old floor jack.
Old 04-04-07, 07:15 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
The craftsman just plain sucks.
I own the craftsman as well. I have never owned a jack before and my experience is limited, but I can tell that it is of very average build quality. The operation is not as smooth as it should be in my opinion. It is functional, but by no means top notch.
Old 04-04-07, 07:59 PM
scenery
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by motorheaddown
Has anyone found a low-profile floor jack that will fit under the front of the car and reach the engine subframe assembly without jacking one side of the car up? I'm tired of jacking the car up just to get the floor jack under it.

Unfortunately, driving the car up on wheel ramps isn't an option.

Thanks,
-scott
do you have any pics of your car? how low is it really? and why isnt driving or backing up into ramps an option?
Old 04-04-07, 08:19 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a couple aluminum race jacks and i cant get them to the front cross member. I had to make my bumper quick disconnect. Here is one that might work though im thinking about buying it. http://eagleequip.com/Merchant2/merc...oduct_Count=22
Old 04-04-07, 08:31 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i use the OEM Screw Jack from Toyota. works wonders. just lift one side and then use a real mans jack.

n yea
Old 04-04-07, 11:02 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hate my aluminum jack, it feels so flimsy, craftsman race jack prob gonna be my next one.
Old 04-04-07, 11:40 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by twizted
I have a couple aluminum race jacks and i cant get them to the front cross member. I had to make my bumper quick disconnect. Here is one that might work though im thinking about buying it. http://eagleequip.com/Merchant2/merc...oduct_Count=22
That jack looks pretty nice. This is the one I want. http://www.ac-hydraulic.com/Default....wproduct&id=35
Old 04-05-07, 12:56 AM
FiSta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's from Matco Tools and i think it's call the "Lo-Jack", something like that...My friend has one and it's fabulous...kind of pricey but it's worth every single penny
Old 04-05-07, 08:00 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^thats the one i want. but I will probably get an aluminum low profile jack.

I currently own that craftsman black one. I have had no problem with it. I guess I got lucky! Its been almost a year.
Old 04-05-07, 08:01 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
The craftsman just plain sucks. In about 1 year I returned the jack about 4 times until my warranty expired. The oil seals kept on leaking on every single jack, and the pressure would drop while jacking up the car. The last one I had lasted for about 4 months until the the release valve snapped while my car was in the air, and my warranty was over like 2 weeks before that.

You talking about this one:

or their basic model??

I've had the Aluminum one above for the past 2 years with not a single problem. Very solid construction.
Old 04-05-07, 10:30 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow... I haven't had CL members reply so quickly and with so many good suggestions. Thanks for the feedback!

My car is soon to be lowered only 1", but it's undrivable currently because I'm about to put 272 cams and a 74mm turbo in. So, wheel ramps aren't an option.

FiSta: Is the tongue of the Matco jack long enough to reach the engine subframe from the front of the car?

Thanks again for all your responses.

-scott
Old 04-05-07, 12:39 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mkorsu
You talking about this one:

or their basic model??

I've had the Aluminum one above for the past 2 years with not a single problem. Very solid construction.
Thats the 180 dollar one right? My friend owned that one and it leaked too, but the one I was talking about was the cheaper 120 dollar one. Sorry for not being specific before. In the past 2 years I've used about 4 different newer model craftsman jacks and they have all leaked. I followed all the instructions to purge the jack and prepare it for use.

My dads old craftsman jack still works fine with no problems, but the newer ones I've owned aren't the same quality. Maybe I'm just having a crappy experience with their floor jacks.

I just checked the sears website and there is a new low profile foor jack that can lift 4tons for 150.

Quick Reply: Low profile floor jack for sc300/400?...