SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

No Scheduled Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-01, 02:38 PM
Black94RX-7TT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Scheduled Maintenance

Okay...I have found a '96 with 70k miles. Black/black, price is right around wholesale. Title is clear, although it has been registered to a leasing company. I called Lexus to get the service history, and they only show the 5k oil change. I am kinda leery of buying a car with no maintenance history, but then again, transmisson fluid changes at 15k are overkill. What do ya'll think...is the rigorous service schedule that important?
Old 11-15-01, 03:39 PM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well ... hardest part which you will not know and the part that determines the maintenance schedule is, the driving habits of the previous owner(s). If you drive it hard, regular maintenance is required. If you are a good habitual driver, the recommended maintenance is just that, recommended. Use your intuition here.

Most of these cars are lease returns, so that shouldn't be a bad thing. When I was looking for mine, I took a look at 5 different black/black, ranging between '96 and '97 models -- all 5 were lease returns. If my thinking is right though, lease returns are better, because usually the previous owners know that they must pay for wear and tear beyond what is expected. This includes mileage too.

However, the reason why you Lexus doesn't have any records of any other maintenance is, the owners are not required to take it to the Lexus dealers. It is the owner's choice where they want the car serviced. So even if the car was routinely maintained, there won't be any records with Lexus's database if the car wasn't taken to a dealership.

All in all, get the car inspected by a reputable mechanic. It's worth the extra money you flop down for the inspection.
Old 11-15-01, 05:04 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally posted by moshlub
Well ... hardest part which you will not know and the part that determines the maintenance schedule is, the driving habits of the previous owner(s). If you drive it hard, regular maintenance is required. If you are a good habitual driver, the recommended maintenance is just that, recommended. Use your intuition here.

Most of these cars are lease returns, so that shouldn't be a bad thing. When I was looking for mine, I took a look at 5 different black/black, ranging between '96 and '97 models -- all 5 were lease returns. If my thinking is right though, lease returns are better, because usually the previous owners know that they must pay for wear and tear beyond what is expected. This includes mileage too.

However, the reason why you Lexus doesn't have any records of any other maintenance is, the owners are not required to take it to the Lexus dealers. It is the owner's choice where they want the car serviced. So even if the car was routinely maintained, there won't be any records with Lexus's database if the car wasn't taken to a dealership.

All in all, get the car inspected by a reputable mechanic. It's worth the extra money you flop down for the inspection.
Moshlub, very well said...
Old 11-16-01, 11:15 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: No Scheduled Maintenance

Originally posted by Black94RX-7TT
Okay...I have found a '96 with 70k miles. Black/black, price is right around wholesale. Title is clear, although it has been registered to a leasing company. I called Lexus to get the service history, and they only show the 5k oil change. I am kinda leery of buying a car with no maintenance history, but then again, transmisson fluid changes at 15k are overkill. What do ya'll think...is the rigorous service schedule that important?

This is the same to all Japanese cars.

The repair manual does not specified on when you have to change the timing belt or trans. fluid. It shows the schedule A and B, one is normal driving and the other is severe. If you want to keep your car a long time stick to severe schedule. If you don't care why ask these questions. You'll be selling it after a couple of years anyway. By that time your car is still running in perfect condition.

Trans. fluid change is every 30K miles for normal, 15K for the other. It's up to you to do what you want. It's your car. I know, the trans. fluid for the SC400 is expensive ($20 for 4 quarts). Then again, I see many of you guy use Mobile 1 for oil and change it every 3K. Trans. has moving parts too don't it?

Toyota timing belt change at 60K miles for early model. The repair manual for my 93 SC400 says inspected the timing belt (If I have the time to inspect, I'll change the damn belt). California model is different. I don't remember they need to change at 60K or 90K