SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Anyone believe this? 13 HP with spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-01, 10:43 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone believe this? 13 HP with spark plugs?

http://cgi.ebay.aol.com/ebaymotors/a...842951&r=0&t=0

Anyone believe this? If its true, I'm up for it, or hell......we can get a group buy going.

Adam
Old 11-12-01, 06:37 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Anyone believe this? 13 HP with spark plugs?

Originally posted by abutler696
http://cgi.ebay.aol.com/ebaymotors/a...842951&r=0&t=0

Anyone believe this? If its true, I'm up for it, or hell......we can get a group buy going.

Adam
Hahaha. I don't know about that, but we'll find out when I go this upcoming week for a tune up and dyno. I already got the Denso Iridium sparkplugs. According to the packaging information you should have better acceleration, longer life, better fuel economy, etc etc. That's a pretty good price as these things are expencive.
Old 11-12-01, 07:17 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I rather buy a dash cup holder for my SC400 and gain 15 Hp then buy those plugs
Old 11-12-01, 07:21 AM
abutler696
Lead Lap

LOL,

well DirectQL, let me know the results. Thanks, Adam
Old 11-12-01, 08:02 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could easily get 13hp from new plugs...but it's a trick.

First I take my old plugs that were in my car (63k miles), lets say I gapped my plugs incorrectly, and made it a VERY small gap. This would cause a VERY small spark, and very little combustion in the chamber. Plus being and old plug, the spark wouldn't be as good.

Now I put in plugs correctly gapped that are iridiums. All the sudden there's more power. It would be easy to gain 13hp this way...it's a trick basically.

Another way...in HIGH HP engines...like 800hp...different plugs can easily make a 13hp difference. Now in a 300hp engine? You might get 1 or 2hp from them.

SR
Old 11-12-01, 08:33 AM
abutler696
Lead Lap

so wiz, are you saying that I would get about that much HP gain since my spark plugs are 80,000 miles old?
Old 11-12-01, 08:48 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by abutler696
so wiz, are you saying that I would get about that much HP gain since my spark plugs are 80,000 miles old?
I am missing 20 rwhp and While running on the dyno the shop owner said the car is already running very lean, as in it's not burning enough fuel. I think it's mostly due to the fact I am running the same stock spark plugs that the first owner of the car did. I belive the spark plugs should be replaced every 40k miles. Atleast that's what was recommended with my old car. It's a pain in the *** to replace them on the SC300 or any 2JZ-GE engine. You have to take off the throttle body to get to them. I recommend doing compression test while there. The place where I am going to get won't charge me extra for compression test. Cool, ain't it?
Old 11-12-01, 09:34 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Well my plugs had 62k on them, and it made a HUGE difference...so yes, that is possible...

SR
Old 11-12-01, 09:36 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by CmputerWiz
Well my plugs had 62k on them, and it made a HUGE difference...so yes, that is possible...

SR
Entirely, they also did a motor vac on my car and that same night I was able to peal out just by hitting the gas. Trac was off.
Old 11-12-01, 09:39 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
I am missing 20 rwhp and While running on the dyno the shop owner said the car is already running very lean, as in it's not burning enough fuel. I think it's mostly due to the fact I am running the same stock spark plugs that the first owner of the car did. I belive the spark plugs should be replaced every 40k miles. Atleast that's what was recommended with my old car. It's a pain in the *** to replace them on the SC300 or any 2JZ-GE engine. You have to take off the throttle body to get to them. I recommend doing compression test while there. The place where I am going to get won't charge me extra for compression test. Cool, ain't it?
If it's running lean...it's not the sparkplugs. It would be running rich if that was the case. Maybe you need to get your injectors cleaned...that can make a HUGE difference.

SR
Old 11-12-01, 09:41 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by CmputerWiz

If it's running lean...it's not the sparkplugs. It would be running rich if that was the case. Maybe you need to get your injectors cleaned...that can make a HUGE difference.

SR
That's what motor vac does.
Old 11-12-01, 10:42 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Then you will be able to extract the extra hp with your S-AFC too... Are you doing a dyno run with the s-afc off then with it on? Also is the traction off or on in a dyno and the ECT on or off? Just curious about it...

Also your wires, cap and rotor could be in the need of replacement... They will make a huge difference if they are bad too!
Old 11-12-01, 10:50 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by The Ikon
Then you will be able to extract the extra hp with your S-AFC too... Are you doing a dyno run with the s-afc off then with it on? Also is the traction off or on in a dyno and the ECT on or off? Just curious about it...

Also your wires, cap and rotor could be in the need of replacement... They will make a huge difference if they are bad too!
Heheh. Ya, getting all that too. I am getting the big tuneup this weekend. I was thinking about aftermarket wires, but I won't be running some mad horsepower and the Denso wires are like 260 some bucks. Not worth it. Spark plugs are the more important things. So, normal wires it is. When I was getting the dyno first time I was thinking about trying different things, like with ECT off and trac on. But I just ended up doing the dyno with trac off and ECT on. When adjusting the dyno it's always a good idea to do a run stock, with afc off. I ended up doing lots and lots of runs. But hey, this time around I'll make sure to play with the settings when doing the dyno.

PS. When are you coming down here again Tom? We're having a meet on the Dec. 1st. and Alex and this other Tom might show up for the dyno of my car this weekend on saturday.
Old 11-12-01, 11:15 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I'll be your way again around the middle of Dec. or at New Year's Eve...

Good luck on the dyno this time around...
Old 11-12-01, 11:57 AM
black sc
Pole Position

Even, if you don't get extra hp. The spark plugs hopefully should last longer than the spark plugs. I don't know about you but, I change my own spark plugs and it is a pain. I drive a lot and I already changed out by plugs 2x in less than a year due to mileage. So, I don't know about the extra hp but, if the longevity is longer than the stock plugs then I am all for it.

BTW, has anyone had these plugs longer than 6oK miles on their car and was the performance still ok? Or does it last just as long as any other platinum or conventional plug?

Quick Reply: Anyone believe this? 13 HP with spark plugs?