SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Just got my SC, a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-07, 07:24 PM
ayrity
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my SC, a couple questions

hey all, just wanted to say hi first of all, I just bought my first SC400 a week ago, black, i have only the picture that they guy i bought it from posted on autotrader for now but ill post some more later. I had a couple questions as well...

first of all, my headlight lense covers have become a bit cloudy, and i know its a common problem with headlights in general, and the dealer said they could make them look like new for about 90 per light, and its not something i feel i can swing right now for just something that looks good. But I know they use some sort of a wet sanding process to do it, anyone know the steps I can take to make them super clear again?

also, the tape deck does not seem to respond to a tape going into it, and its kind a big deal cause thats how i play my ipod (since i hate fm transmitters) so no ipod for now i guess... but does anyone know of a common problem that may be the cause without digging into the wiring? everything is lit up and looks like it should work, it just wont accept the tape and the tape button does nothing.

the other thing is the right rear deck speaker is non responsive, as is the subwoofer, but the left one is fine, i think its just a cut wore someplace but i dont know the proper way to get into the wiring back there (yes i know i should get the shop manual, its in the mail i just want to get on it asap)

the last thing is that i was thinking of getting an ipod ready head unit for my sterio, but i noticed the volume dial is off of the head unit on the stock one, so what have people done to make that work, just have a dead volume **** on the side?

thanks everyone i look forward to being part of what looks like such a great community!
Old 01-15-07, 07:36 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

1. there is a DIY made by O.L.T on how to clean your lense, so search posts either by O.L.T or use a few keywords such as "headlight cleaning" and you should come up with easy results

i have an aftermarket head unit, and yea, you just have a dead **** off to the side, i've been thinking about just removing it all together, it just becomes useless basically

if you have the nakamichi system for your car, i have the stock head unit that works perfectly that i no longer use since i have an aftermarket system (changed out immediately once i bought the car bc i had full system from my old accord)

if you can't figure out whats wrong with the tapedeck right there i can sell you the stock nakamichi head unit for very cheap, let me know
Old 01-15-07, 08:05 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Heißen Sie Willkommen zu Klub lexus. ...remember immer, den Suchenknopf oder Leute zu benutzen, werden kommen und werden Sie in der Nacht erhalten!!!
Old 01-16-07, 05:04 AM
ayrity
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the info, and ya i searched as best i could beforehand, im sure ill get better at it as i get more active here, sorry. anyone else have an answer for their volume ****? or anything else?
Old 01-16-07, 05:33 AM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

It's a resistor just like any other volume ***. Get an aftermarket radio and turn it into a base control!! Oh, and a nice head unit is the eclipse avn5435. It's got navi/ipod and sat ready amoung other things. Fits/looks great in our cars AND it's like $1100 now on crutchfield.com
Old 01-16-07, 07:41 AM
bluesharp
Driver School Candidate

I thought I read somewhere that the Eclipse head unit plugs directly into the SC wiring harness because Eclipse makes the Lexus SC factory radios anyway. Is this still true?
Old 01-16-07, 09:11 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesharp
I thought I read somewhere that the Eclipse head unit plugs directly into the SC wiring harness because Eclipse makes the Lexus SC factory radios anyway. Is this still true?
I doubt it.....Nakamichi and Pioneer are what I've been told is whats in our cars....
But who knows...everyone is having everyone else make there crap and just putting there name on it.
Old 01-16-07, 09:37 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesharp

As neurocity said, SC Factory HU's are only Pioneer or Nakamichi. No Eclipse unit. Actually, I can't think of one manufacturer that uses Eclipse as a standard install.
Old 01-16-07, 12:19 PM
ayrity
Driver School Candidate

oh and lucky, i might be interested in that, thanks, ill let you know
Old 01-16-07, 12:43 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

lets see some pics
Old 01-16-07, 01:15 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ayrity
oh and lucky, i might be interested in that, thanks, ill let you know
aight cool

and no, there is no way eclipse does that

do not use that **** as a base control lol, fine tune ur base through an equalizer, don't just simply turn it up and down with a ****, theres much more to it then that
Old 01-16-07, 01:16 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

also wait for the pioneer avic-d3 to come out

navi/dvd/ipod/VIDEO-ipod

it'll be a 1000$

its the best bang for ur buck by far, coming out this april
Old 01-16-07, 06:27 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome man.

I have the headlight post bookmarked until I get around to it:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183023

For as much money as you probably have change in your couch, you can clean both headlights with as good or better precision than the Lexus techs will. I have heard nothing but good things.

As for the stereo, I have not the slightest clue. Searching might give you a post or two with advice, but I would assume that stereo units are something not often discussed on this forum....could be dead wrong, as I am new to Lexus and this forum as well.

Good luck with the car. If you are looking for a cheap performance modification to let the engine breathe, break a $20 at home depot and you can modify the stock airbox to intake more air to increase engine response especially up top. Fuel economy will only be helped highway as well. Search "BFI" and you should get hundreds of posts.
Old 01-17-07, 07:44 PM
ayrity
Driver School Candidate

thanks for everyones help on this stuff. I know this might be a dumb noob question, but i couldnt find anything when i searched, is it possible to wire in some rca jacks that go to 1/8th inch jack (headphone jack size) so i can connect my ipod directly to the head unit? maybe cut out the wires of my tape deck and plug in my ipod since i never use tapes? thanks
Old 01-17-07, 11:08 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First of all welcome to ClubLexus. You will find alot of information here.

If you want a something quick to clean just the outisde of your headlights try Meguiars Scratch X. Heres a thread I made about them: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=252510
Use link Blizzy provided to clean your headlights thoroughly inside and out. It really does make a difference in light output.

As for the cassette deck (I'm assuming its a Pioneer) you can get a used one for pretty cheap these days. FM transmitters do suck as I am soon getting the tape one for my Ipod as well haha.

Checkout the Audio section for a sticky on how to get to the rear speakers.

Good luck with everything.