SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Are these cars the next "240sx" ??
YES
22.56%
NO
54.27%
ALMOST
23.17%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Are SC's / Soarer the next 240sx?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-06, 01:49 PM
eHIGH
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kaotiq
Feel sorry for me? I don't need anyone to feel sorry for me, bro. I've killed this point in and out for a long time. It's those kids and ricers that ruin it for us. I don't want this to be another debate, but I will say this. Before the SC or 240 craze got big, I had no problems driving my car around as is. Cops were giving me thumbs up all the time and asking me if my car is a 2002 model. Nowadays, I gotta worry about which neighborhood I drive my car around. Yes, I know... my car is highly modded and it's expected to have cops ticket me etc etc...

I know a lot of us old enthusiasts, who have been here before this hype came about, can attest to what I'm saying.
I hear that. In my town, The sc is still under the radar and cops can care less if my exhaust has a deeper tone. I'd hate for police to start pulling me over to check what's under my hood. I hope it doesnt pick up, and I'm thinking it won't get to 240 status because, as pointed out earlier, Lack a manual and weight of the car.
Old 11-30-06, 02:10 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Feel sorry for me? I don't need anyone to feel sorry for me, bro. I've killed this point in and out for a long time. It's those kids and ricers that ruin it for us. I don't want this to be another debate, but I will say this. Before the SC or 240 craze got big, I had no problems driving my car around as is. Cops were giving me thumbs up all the time and asking me if my car is a 2002 model. Nowadays, I gotta worry about which neighborhood I drive my car around. Yes, I know... my car is highly modded and it's expected to have cops ticket me etc etc...

I know a lot of us old enthusiasts, who have been here before this hype came about, can attest to what I'm saying.
I agree with this. Within the past year I have seen the cops eyeing me down everywhere I go and all I have is: Exhaust, wheels, tint, and black pearl emblems. haha. I have all the respect for the drifters that do it SAFELY!!!(key word here folks) but I almost got taken out by some moron in Renton, WA in a black 240SX with black wheels and a Supra style wing(I'll find you......) haha Keep it at the track, right on. Become a pavement figure skater on the public roads, get arrested
Old 11-30-06, 02:29 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

drifting is a very destructive sport i dont see how people can buy a luxary coupe and drift the sh!* out of it .if your not wrecking out you are burning you tires , destroying the rearend .tearing bushings and so on .i dont see how people can do this to such beautiful cars ,a 240 yea ok thats strait . i wont even drift a rx7 because those parts are way up there too . but some people have lots of money to waste .so it will work out for them .i rather get my rush hitting my speed cut
Old 11-30-06, 02:31 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

you guys say no because SC's are more expensive to modify.

I say almost, look at all of the people who are dodging the pricey tags of SC aftermarket? Nobody is willing to pay for a good product anymore and everybody will have a loud exhaust with the same generic parts as everybody else. Not to mention, everybody wants to pull a Ueno. A little 240-ish don't you think?
Old 11-30-06, 02:41 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

that's what I have been saying for the last 2 years now. As the SC becomes more and more affordable. We have more of the ricers coming on this board. Look at the exponential jump of "I want a 1JZ" threads in the engine section. All these noobs asking about body kits this, I wanna swap that. So yeah, it's starting to look damn close to the the NICOclub boards.

I sold my 240 ASAP the minute that the ricers started to ditch their civics. Pretty soon, I gotta sell my SC too

nothing wrong with that, if they wanna put the money into it or change it up, let them... its their car

if anything i imagine it would put more respect into your car for keeping the original stock look if thats what you value.

but to the orignal question, i'm gonna put in my answer of no at this point, but in the future i can see it going towards that
Old 11-30-06, 04:11 PM
yelloa3gti
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sc250tt
drifting is a very destructive sport i dont see how people can buy a luxary coupe and drift the sh!* out of it .if your not wrecking out you are burning you tires , destroying the rearend .tearing bushings and so on .i dont see how people can do this to such beautiful cars ,a 240 yea ok thats strait . i wont even drift a rx7 because those parts are way up there too . but some people have lots of money to waste .so it will work out for them .i rather get my rush hitting my speed cut
well we arent talking about a 40k car anymore.. these cars arent worth much anymore. I also have the sence that you think any motorsports activity is bad too? new ferrari and porshes out racing on the track door to door burning up tires, motors, everything and risking a wreck. Cars that truely are pretty expensive. I could understand debating over not drifting a new expensive car but these arent. burning tires.. who cares..we burn gas everyday.. (yes it is different but its all in the fun-sport of it) yea the rearend take a beating but its all worth it. If you break something then run to the local junk yard that has SC's sitting in it and get the new parts you need for next to nothing. Its not about destroying the car at all. People into motorsports of any type treat and maintain their cars different from most people ( usually better if they continue to want their car to perform well) Not many people into drifting plan on or want to destroy their car. Its a risk that something could happen and some individuals decide to take that risk.

Id much rather be beating ths **** out of my car, burning the hell out of my tires dead sideways anyday VS. polishing my SC with a diaper while is sits in the garage.

my poor tires and rear end....... oh well.. its worth every second

to each their own
Old 11-30-06, 04:46 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

i used to be obsesed with 240s SR20s RB26s etc. But after a while it just became so stereotypical to see a 240 covered in wings widebodys and 5zigens FNs at each corner. After this i wanted to just turbo the KA24 "truck" engine which seemed original enough seeing the SR swap done in 90% of these cars. then that stupid Tokyo Drift came out and people started realizing that 240s were the shiznit. i said screw it and went to look for something that i can stand out in. sure i paid an extra $4500 to get it, but im glad that i have something different from the general tuner crowd. but before you know it though people will be droppin 1JZs and 2JZs huge turbos, big tires and locked diffs ..it will become a new stereotype but only after a few years once the price has dropped off a bit

Thats why i want a 1UZ NA as my big project. its so unheard of in the general tuner community, but the challenges it presents and the resulting swap will make it different and unique. thats what we all want to do.

as for drifting the crap out of my car, never in a million years. sure maybe once in a blue moon for the hell of it, but never on a regular basis. i want to take mine to the quarter mile and the road course and spank some mustangs...
Old 11-30-06, 04:54 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yelloa3gti
well we arent talking about a 40k car anymore.. these cars arent worth much anymore. I also have the sence that you think any motorsports activity is bad too? new ferrari and porshes out racing on the track door to door burning up tires, motors, everything and risking a wreck. Cars that truely are pretty expensive. I could understand debating over not drifting a new expensive car but these arent. burning tires.. who cares..we burn gas everyday.. (yes it is different but its all in the fun-sport of it) yea the rearend take a beating but its all worth it. If you break something then run to the local junk yard that has SC's sitting in it and get the new parts you need for next to nothing. Its not about destroying the car at all. People into motorsports of any type treat and maintain their cars different from most people ( usually better if they continue to want their car to perform well) Not many people into drifting plan on or want to destroy their car. Its a risk that something could happen and some individuals decide to take that risk.

Id much rather be beating ths **** out of my car, burning the hell out of my tires dead sideways anyday VS. polishing my SC with a diaper while is sits in the garage.

my poor tires and rear end....... oh well.. its worth every second

to each their own

Thankfully the Toyotas can handle it too
Old 11-30-06, 05:21 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300tim5
not trying to argue or anything but nowdays parts are pretty much plentiful for the sr thats on of the plusses about them now!
Yeah, Im sure they are now. As I said, it was a while ago when I had mine and back then an SR in an S14 wasn't that common, especially to see a blacktop SR. At that time you couldn't go into an auto store and get just anything for an SR as you would have been able to with a 2JZ/1JZ. This was like 4 years ago or so so my point may not hold much weight anymore as far as that is concerned. The aftermarket was always there but very limited.
Old 11-30-06, 05:35 PM
natesiy
Rookie

A 240 is still half the cost of an SC. It's not like i have money to burn, but i'd rather break a $5g car than a $10g car.
Old 11-30-06, 11:44 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

i find it funny that alot of newer owners want a turbo kit or GTE swap to be the first mod they do. They don't realize the cost to do it, while not as expensive as it was, is still fairly pricey. The lack of manual cars is also a deterrent but i still see plenty of people snatching up older sc's to start modding to drift.

Hell i went that route (turbo not drift), bought a 1jz then realized i was SOL if i got pulled over and checked. Bought a turbo kit and realized the same problem. too many penalties nowadays if you get caught.
Old 12-01-06, 01:44 AM
ant1k
Lead Lap

i definitely hope not but i think it is inevitable. and it brings tears to my eyes that i might have to steer away from the SC. but then there is the LS muahaha VIP
Old 12-01-06, 04:16 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

lets hope its the new trend. so i can sell mine for a premium. im waiting to get back to cali to see how much i can get for her. its time to sell the stick and get an auto.

prices for aftermarket parts are not as expensive as u think. mods for the SCs run the same as a 240s. i dunno how you guys think that parts for our car cost more then a 240. engine cost about the same, swaps cost the same. turbo kits run the same price if not cheaper for the 2jzge. face it mods for our cars are pretty cheap compared to other cars.
Old 12-01-06, 06:52 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Remember when the SC used to be every elder man's dream car? Now they appear to be every JDM fanboy's dream oh well.
Old 12-01-06, 02:10 PM
Ethix
Driver

This is one of the reasons I'm glad I live in RI. I hear everybody talk about how common 240sx's are now and how everybody has one, but I very rarely ever see one around here. If I do, it's usually beat up, rusted, and old. I've only seen maybe 2 or 3 nice, modded ones. Hell, around here people are still into the Honda scene. There is however more interest in drifting now, so even the Honda guys know what a 240sx is and ultimately will ask if you're a "drifter."

-Mark

Quick Reply: Are SC's / Soarer the next 240sx?