SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

NOS on my SC300: I need info on Fuel Pump and ignition timing

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-01, 12:32 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb NOS on my SC300: I need info on Fuel Pump and ignition timing

I'm at a point where I can trade my non-running RX-7 TurboII for a wet kit and a fuel pump...

I wanted to ask a couple questions. I only plan on running a 50 shot until i get an exhaust and intake (intake will be easy, exhaust may be done at the same time, I'm not sure),
what I want to know is do I need a bigger fuel pump on this wet kit to run a 100hp shot?

How big of a shot should I run with an exhaust, intake, etc?
I want a 100hp shot; but if a 125hp shot is ok then I'll run that as well.

As far as ignition timing goes... The 2jz-ge has a distributor so do I have to adjust timing the old fashioned way? which way retards and which way advances?
how much does the ignition need to be retarded?
and would an Apexi' ITC fix this problem? or is that only for those cars like the SupraTT that use a computer-controlled Coil system?

thx
Old 10-20-01, 06:07 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry i handt replied but i dont know the right answers...and i dont wana give false info....i think a 75 shot is safe....i run that on top of my boost.....i dont think youll need afuel pump for that...as far as timming it can be done via distributor adjusting but i dont know which way to turn it.....whats up with the rx7...email me i got some info for you.....might help your decisions....Jeff...
sc300turbo@aol.com
Old 10-20-01, 03:39 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try backing off 5 degrees for 75 shot. I think stock timing is 10BTDC with the appropriate ECU terminals bridged per Lexus Manual.
Use a timing light, though. Takes only a few minutes. A tune up shop could do it in quickly and cheaply if you don't have a timing light.
Old 10-22-01, 06:28 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I got a timing light

But I know i'll get a performance hit from it... I was wondering if I could get an Apexi' ITC to use when running the nitrous
Old 10-22-01, 02:06 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Over a 50 shot - You need to get a seperate fuel pump to run the juice. For a stock motor, I wouldn't recommend anything over a 75 shot untill other things are taken care of first.

Rule of thumb to play things safe. A motor can accept 50% of its rated horsepower in boost. i.e. a 200 hp motor can take up to a 100 horse shot. A 300 horse motor can take 150 horse shot.

BUT YOU STILL NEED AN ADDITIONAL FUEL PUMP!!!!

Always remember : NOS = additional fuel pump. Period, no questions. I've detonated too many motors and learned this the hard way. If you need the car to be reliable, buy a new pump. Your buddies that race at the track may say its not necessary, but if you need a reliable car, then it is necessary.

BTW, whats wrong w/ the TII ? I'd say fix it and put the NOS on that. Rotaries lend very well to nitrous. I mean VERY WELLL if you know what I mean. Plus the TII will be a lot more fun to drive than the SC on the bottle.

Oh, and retard the ignition 5-7 deg. at maximum advance. Don't adjust it at idle - believe it or not, thats a common mistake.

Any way. Hope this helps.

Keith

P.S. Is the wet kit a direct port?
Old 10-22-01, 09:32 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

additional fuel pump? i've never heard of that before... only a BIGGER fuel pump...

i wouldn't put NOS on a rotary... especially when its already sensitive enough with boost

and no NO rx7 will be as nice to drive as my lexus sorry
my rx7 needs a lot of work; plus with all the boltons it will be about the same in straightline power as my SC300 with NOS....
and I won't even talk about handling; because my RX-7 has shot-to-**** shocks and springs while my SC's are fine