SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Power Steering Fluid Bubbling

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-01, 10:02 AM
robmck

. . . .anybody have any advice?? (92 SC 400)

Pump is grinding, but I still have power. I'm thinking a hose is clogged but I'm not sure. Fluid level is fine.

Any suggestions on how to test it?

Much appreciated!

(PS what is the best fluid to use??)
Old 03-03-01, 12:37 PM
mrwolf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering fluid

My SC400 has a power steering leak. Very slow but leaking. You know when to add fluid when it starts to grind. On the power steering fluid resevoir there is a dip stick to check level....I think...
Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-01, 01:34 PM
SC400onDubz
Driver

Default bleed the system

Did you recently change the pump?

Replace any hoses?
Did you let the fluid level go below the reservior?

If so you got some air in the system. The system will make noise until you get all of the air out.

Here is how to bleed it.

With 2 people, one in the car and one outside by the hose.

Disconnect the return hose(top one I think) and rig it up to something that will catch the outflowing fluid(very fast flowing).

Then have a bottle of FResh Synthetic ATF ready to go.

Have the cap off and ready to fill up.

Have the other person start the car up for about 5-10 seconds and immediately shut it off. While the car is running you have to keep the fluid reservior full. (if it ever goes to the bottom the system will have air in it and you will still have the whining noise) Do this about 4 or 5 times consistantly with out ever letting the fluid go below the reservior.

The system will be bleed and free of air.

If you ever let it get air when starting you need to start the cycle all over.

Trust me you will probably do it at least 10 times. The fluid sucks down very fast.

THis is the exact way the Service manual says to do it.

I have experience with this also, unfortunately!

Good luck,
Scott
email me at wscottwilliams@home.com if you need some more help.
Old 03-03-01, 05:48 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

Talking robmck got it!!!

Robmck,

I had a similar problem due that I pulled the engine out of my car once. When I did that I loosened the power steering suction hose and somehow slightly broke it. In the SC400 is a 90 degree rubber hose. Seems like this hose becomes brittle over time and when I put everything back together I was getting air from the connections and I also had a small hole in it. I didn't know why I was getting air in the fluid. Well it was hard to diagnose because I had no fluid leaks since it was actually sucking air and not letting fluid out. Somehow one day while cleaning the air filter (k&N) noticed a drop of fluid and I accidentally moved the hose...bingo (it is the lower hose at the fluid reservoir) and that was it. I replaced the hose and no more noise, bubbling, etc.

Follow SC400onDubz air bleeding procedure...actually just change the hose...and fill reservoir, turn steering wheel to hard left and wait 3 secs. then right 3 secs. then do the left and right same amount of times until noise is gone. This is the way to automatically bleed the system...my manual says so.

Make sure this suction hose is tight and not broken.
Best fluid is any power steering fluid.

Mind
Old 03-03-01, 07:14 PM
robmck

Lightbulb Thanks Everyone

I'll try your suggestions after the 1-3 feet of snow we are expecting tomorrow till Tuesday melts away!

Not like I can drive an SC400 in that weather!