SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Thinking about getting a Lexus (SC)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-01, 04:48 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thinking about getting a Lexus (SC)

I am looking at possibly buying a SC300 or SC400 sometime soon. I have never owned a Lexus though so I dont know much about how they are. Im hoping some of the owners here can give me a list of what to look for, common problems, what years to avoid, etc. Some specific questions below......
1-Are there any years of the SC300/400 to stay away from because of major mechanical issues?
2-Do the SC's have a timing belt or chain?
3-If taken care of properly, how long in terms of miles are the cars likely to last?
4-What are some of the differences cosmetically between the older to newer SC's.....I know there is a front grill and somewhat of a body kit on the newer ones....has anyone tried fitting those newer parts on the older SC's??
5-How are these cars in snow?
6-What is the average miles per gallon in the SC3/400.
Thanks!
Old 10-08-01, 04:05 AM
noctuRnal-1
Driver School Candidate

Default i'm selling my sc if your intrested

i have a 98 sc400 with 22,ooo miles and a car show winner. i have won two import showoffs with this sc and never smoked or even ate in this car. but back to your questions 1) dont know if theres any years to stay away from cause i own a newer one but i tell you this my aunty owns a 92 and that thing never gave her any problems cause she got all the service done by lexus.
2) the sc's coem with a timing belt
3) if you take care of this car properly ie. clean engine, service at lexus on time, keep it easy on the engine and all that other stuff i saw some sc's go over 350,000 miles easy
4) the difference between the newer sc's and the older ones are the newer ones come with 290 stock hp where the older ones come with 260 i think? also the newer ones comes with nice front bumper, side skirts, and nicer rims, and nice spolier(the newer ones come with a spoiler that doesnt hang off the trunk but looks like an intergas) looks good on a sc, but thats about all.
5) i dont know how these cars are in snow but i tell you this these cars grip good in rain. these cars have what you call tire trackion that comes with the newer ones dont know if it comes with the older ones. its a button or actually a switch that can be turned on or off anytime helps in the rain.
6)well if its stock then you'll probaly get 16-20 miles to the gallon thats just an estimate i have performance done to my engine so mines eats up way more than stock. hope this helps if you need any more info on an sc or my sc email me @ speedknight01@yahoo.com asking $30,000 blue book is $37,000 and i spent at least $30,000 on mods alone. this is the only sc like this in the nation i guarentee it.
Old 10-08-01, 07:33 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Thinking about getting a Lexus (SC)

Originally posted by mjr24
I am looking at possibly buying a SC300 or SC400 sometime soon. I have never owned a Lexus though so I dont know much about how they are. Im hoping some of the owners here can give me a list of what to look for, common problems, what years to avoid, etc. Some specific questions below......
1-Are there any years of the SC300/400 to stay away from because of major mechanical issues?
2-Do the SC's have a timing belt or chain?
3-If taken care of properly, how long in terms of miles are the cars likely to last?
4-What are some of the differences cosmetically between the older to newer SC's.....I know there is a front grill and somewhat of a body kit on the newer ones....has anyone tried fitting those newer parts on the older SC's??
5-How are these cars in snow?
6-What is the average miles per gallon in the SC3/400.
Thanks!
I am not too fomiliar with SC400, but here is some infor about SC300.

1. No, all the SC300s are very good quality and all the years are good.
2. It's a belt.
3. I know there is a guy out there with more than 300,000 miles. He did rebuild engine at some point, but generally, the engine is pretty good.
4. Differences between these cars are minor. Usually it's the little grill in the front and I am not sure if the skirts were stock with the 97+.
5. I am yet to find out, but just to let you know, unless you get the one with traction control for snow option, I can't imagine that normal traction control will help much. You have to learn how to drive a rear wheel drive otherwise.
6. I get anywhere between 10 mph to 25 mph. I have a hevy foot, but when you keep your car at a certain speed/rpm then it should have a nice MPGs numbers. For example when you keep my car at the speed of 65 mph I can get the max of 26 mph (with the ECT switched to normal).
Old 10-08-01, 03:36 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the replies guys. I actually have a Bimmer now so Im pretty familiar with rear wheel drive (aka it sucks) and also familiar with the timing belt (damn it wish it were a chain). Where is Carpentersville? I am actually in Kenosha, Wisconsin, thus the snow question, etc.
Old 10-09-01, 09:44 PM
machinegt
Pole Position

also in the more recent model years, like mine is a 98' 400 and it allows u to shift the auto stick from all 5 gears
D, 4, 3, 2, L

and i know some of the older SC's only have
4 speed auto's with only positions of D, 2, L