SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Need help on 92 corner lights to fog conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-06, 11:15 PM
SCguy58
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on 92 corner lights to fog conversion

I attempted to convert my cornering lights to fogs today, but came short from success. When I went to Radio shack, they had no clue what a t-tap was nor was I, so I just got some butt crimps. So here's what I did wrong: I cut the wires that connect to the corner light and crimped them individually to some wire that I had bought. The wire that was cut and left over, I left it hanging. For the most part I followed the instructions without the t-taps. The problem is since I cut the wires, the lights are on the entire time even when the car is off, unless I take the female connector off from the relay. Is there anyway I can add an on/off switch to the relay so I can manually turn the fogs on and off? Will this blow more bulbs, compared to if I used t-taps?
Old 07-22-06, 12:35 AM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is a crude drawing

basicly Both negatives from the fogs go to the batt. both positives go to the PWR of the relay, Then the negative from the realy gose to the batt. and a positve from the relay gose to the batt. after that u get the activation wire witch tape into the sidemarker or parking lights.

it seems like u dont have a acctivation source ( or a power source that turns the relay on) i used the side marker positive as the ON source for my realy (this way u cna have then on alone and when ur headlights are on) the drawing is the was i did it it should work.

intellexual.net has all this info Click Here

T-Taps
http://www.hometronicz.com/ebay/Crimps/blue.t.tap.jpg]http://www.hometronicz.com/ebay/Crimps/blue.t.tap.jpg]http://www.hometronicz.com/ebay/Crimps/blue.t.tap.jpg

Last edited by $C300; 07-22-06 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-22-06, 01:24 AM
phrozen
Lead Lap

iono me personally im not fond of ttaps... i would use them on my own car. spend 5mins and solder. go to bestbuy and buy a relay with color coded harness.. its really easy only takes like 30mins to do
Old 07-22-06, 08:25 AM
SCguy58
Pole Position

I followed the instructions on intellexual.net, and the wiring is the same as the picture shown. The only difference is I cut the wires instead of using t-taps and instead of placing both wires into the butt crimp, I only placed the wire from the corner light.
Old 07-22-06, 09:02 AM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Well you light work, so something is wrong on the relay side, what did u use as ur activation wire?

I also agree with phrozen, soldering is the best way to make a connection, and sum heat wrap wont hurt ether.

Last edited by $C300; 07-22-06 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-22-06, 09:57 AM
SCguy58
Pole Position

For activation, I used the parking light located in the headlight. I think there is a miscommunication. When I said I cut the wire, I cut the wire and what I was left with was the corner light with a cut wire. I crimped the cut wire, from the corner light, to the wire that I extended. So what I am asking is there a way I could add an on/off switch or should I go back and place the other wire in and crimp them?
Old 07-22-06, 10:10 AM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Your parking light is supposed to be your on/off switch, your fog lights are only supposed to come on when they are on and off when there off, if they are not turning off then something is wrong with the wiring or the relay.
Old 07-22-06, 11:59 AM
SCguy58
Pole Position

Hopefully this helps out, even though it almost the same as the one posted before. Notice the cut wires.

Hopefully everyone here already knows that every DC electrical device requires two connections: a postive (live) and negative (ground). The darker/colored wire is always live (yes black is a color) and the lighter/white is always the ground wire. (in AC it's slightly different). I believe on our cars, the live is an off-red and the ground is white.
Attached Thumbnails Need help on 92 corner lights to fog conversion-fog-conversion.jpg  
Old 07-22-06, 12:59 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Ok so even when u turn ur lights completely off ur fogs are on, correct?

If this is the case you might have a bad relay.

But there is a problem with ur diagram

you dont cut city/parking light wire you just tap into it

Last edited by $C300; 07-22-06 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-22-06, 01:08 PM
SCguy58
Pole Position

When I turn my lights and my car off, the fogs are still on. What else is wrong with my diagram? Am I supposed to have the cut wires connected to the butt crimps???
Old 07-22-06, 01:19 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

the wire that i pictured needs to be conected with the two wires you butt crimped together (the ones i have circled) Try fixing that first and see if that fixes the problem, if not then your Relay might be bad.
Old 07-22-06, 02:22 PM
soramad
Driver School Candidate

there is an alternative method and that would be to insert a switch in the negative (ground ) side of the relay coil ie between ground( metal bodywork) and pin 85 this would give you the option of having the fogs on or off with the main lights ,in the uk it is illegal to have front fogs on unless it is foggy or in falling snow or in really adverse weather conditions ,situate the switch in the sloping lower part of the drivers side dash and pick up an earth close by , you then have the option of picking up the power from either the lighting circuit or direct from the battery the latter will give you the option of using the fogs as running lights if it is legal in the states.
Old 07-22-06, 09:15 PM
SCguy58
Pole Position

Originally Posted by $C300
the wire that i pictured needs to be conected with the two wires you butt crimped together (the ones i have circled) Try fixing that first and see if that fixes the problem, if not then your Relay might be bad.

Well I reconnected the wire for the city light, in the front headlight. By doing this, my fogs turn off when I turn my headlights/city lights on and when I turn my headlights/city light on, the fogs turn off. Would I have to reconnect the wires from the car to the fogs??? If I wanted to use a switch to turn the fogs off and on, how would I exactly do it???
Old 07-22-06, 09:41 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Ok your Relay is working Reverse, im not sure if that’s the from the type of Relay it is or if there something wrong with it. I would say try to figure out the problem it’s a easy fix now that you basically know what its from.

If you want to install a switch just run a positive 12v to a switch and connect 86 spade from the relay to the switch, that should do it.

Ur almost there don’t give up.
Old 07-23-06, 06:54 AM
SCguy58
Pole Position

WHat type of relay should I get???

Quick Reply: Need help on 92 corner lights to fog conversion