SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC steering wheel options...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-06, 10:15 AM
g2racer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC steering wheel options...

Desperately need to replace my stock '95 steering wheel, and I don't want to get one of those stitched covers for it. It looks like some of the late model LS, GS, LX and ES wheels are the same size/shape as the SC. Does anyone know for sure? The 3-spoke IS and GS wheels are sweet too, but I'm not sure about the tan/taupe color matching.

Any help would be great!
Old 05-18-06, 10:19 AM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

i believe you can just pretty much any steering wheel up until the new remodels, but the airbag will only work with an airbag from a 98-00 model lexus. if you don't need/want the airbag to work, go nuts with any of them, they should all bolt up.
Old 05-18-06, 10:32 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=54

Old 05-18-06, 11:19 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you do eventually choose to go with a simple steering wheel cover get one from www.wheelskins.com Mine cost $40 and I couldn't be happier.

Wish I had a camera so I could post a pic for you though
Old 05-18-06, 01:03 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
if you do eventually choose to go with a simple steering wheel cover get one from www.wheelskins.com Mine cost $40 and I couldn't be happier.

Wish I had a camera so I could post a pic for you though
Sup mike,

What Color did you order?

can you put up a pic?

TIA

-Tommy
Old 05-18-06, 01:38 PM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Default My Wheel skin

I went the wheelskin route and I really like it. Once it is on and stiched up, it looks & feels great. It is not hard to do either. It feels like real leather because it is real leather.
I went for a two-tone to try matching my new interior. It isn't perfect, but I like it.
Here is a pic:
Attached Thumbnails SC steering wheel options...-wheelskin2.jpg  
Old 05-18-06, 02:06 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexiss_sc400
Sup mike,

What Color did you order?

can you put up a pic?

TIA

-Tommy
Tommy! Whaddup big dawg? I actually went with the "brown" (the darkest brown they have, not "sand" or "tan"...dark brown) colored wheelskin and I got it with the perforations for that sporty look. When I originally contacted Wheelskins I told them it was hard to decide on color based on images on my computer screen, so they sent me a manilla envelope full of swatches. I compared ALL the colors and after about 30 minutes of looking at them in all sorts of light and dark areas (in and out of my garage) I decided on brown because it matches up best with the stock tan interior.

Like Compuman said, it was a great $40 spent and I couldn't be happier with the look AND feel of the steering wheel. It made the wheel feel a lot thicker in my hands. All in all I'd give it a 8.5 out of 10. Installing it took like an hour and a half, but I took a 15 minute break because I didn't have any leather gloves, damnit.

Sorry dude, I don't have a digicam...I wish I did so you could see how decent the brown cover looks.
Old 05-18-06, 02:22 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
Tommy! Whaddup big dawg? I actually went with the "brown" (the darkest brown they have, not "sand" or "tan"...dark brown) colored wheelskin and I got it with the perforations for that sporty look. When I originally contacted Wheelskins I told them it was hard to decide on color based on images on my computer screen, so they sent me a manilla envelope full of swatches. I compared ALL the colors and after about 30 minutes of looking at them in all sorts of light and dark areas (in and out of my garage) I decided on brown because it matches up best with the stock tan interior.

Like Compuman said, it was a great $40 spent and I couldn't be happier with the look AND feel of the steering wheel. It made the wheel feel a lot thicker in my hands. All in all I'd give it a 8.5 out of 10. Installing it took like an hour and a half, but I took a 15 minute break because I didn't have any leather gloves, damnit.

Sorry dude, I don't have a digicam...I wish I did so you could see how decent the brown cover looks.

Same ol you know... busy with work and school, but I’m going to be out of school in a week!!
How have you been? The whip is looking mighty nice in those pics you posted a while back....

Ill take your word for it... BROWN it is... I will probably get around to ordering it next week, once all my studying is done and over with... and I'll get around to finally put on my brakes.. They have been sitting in my room for the past 2 months,

We should set up a meet like the OC guys.. somewhere close to us... hit me up next weekend if you wanna grab a beer or something.

-Tommy
Old 05-18-06, 09:21 PM
g2racer
Rookie

Very clean...I think the 3-spoke could be the call. I'm guessing the button shift doesn't work?
Old 05-18-06, 11:10 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by g2racer
Very clean...I think the 3-spoke could be the call. I'm guessing the button shift doesn't work?
I'm in the process of getting it to work with my carputer, one side will be volume, the other will be track.
Old 05-19-06, 03:36 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Same ol you know... busy with work and school, but I’m going to be out of school in a week!!
How have you been? The whip is looking mighty nice in those pics you posted a while back....

Ill take your word for it... BROWN it is... I will probably get around to ordering it next week, once all my studying is done and over with... and I'll get around to finally put on my brakes.. They have been sitting in my room for the past 2 months,

We should set up a meet like the OC guys.. somewhere close to us... hit me up next weekend if you wanna grab a beer or something.

-Tommy
Yea we should have an OC meet sometime.

Anyways heres my steering wheel.

Old 05-19-06, 01:52 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Yea we should have an OC meet sometime.

Anyways heres my steering wheel.

way to go, wheel looks very nice, but Im really picky about having things match and the only way I'd get another wheel is if it matched up well with my interior now... so that's why for a temp fix I wanted to get a cover...

but yea where do u live around.... I'm trying to set up a meet for the 27th in the valley, check my post in the So Cal section!! Hope to see you there

take care

-Tommy
Old 05-19-06, 01:58 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

way to go, wheel looks very nice, but Im really picky about having things match and the only way I'd get another wheel is if it matched up well with my interior now... so that's why for a temp fix I wanted to get a cover...

but yea where do u live around.... I'm trying to set up a meet for the 27th in the valley, check my post in the So Cal section!! Hope to see you there

take care

-Tommy
Thanks I live in Anaheim... U dont necessarily have to get a Lexus steering wheel... U just need to get any 2001+ 3 spoke wheel and itll be fine. The lexus wheels have wood grain and the Toyota ones off the Camry and such are usually perforated leather. Throw on a Lexus airbag and ur done.

Last edited by xknowonex; 05-19-06 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-19-06, 02:21 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Thanks I live in Anaheim... U dont necessarily have to get a Lexus steering wheel... U just need to get any 2001+ 3 spoke wheel and itll be fine. The lexus wheels have wood grain and the Toyota ones off the Camry and such are usually perforated leather. Throw on a Lexus airbag and ur done.

Humm you don't say that gives me an Idea, lol

Where do you think I can find any camry wheels, like do you know of any online sites like cl for camrys

Or I just might go junkyard diving, and see if I can source one...

Thanks a lot for the good info
Old 05-19-06, 02:51 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Yea most full size 3-spoke steering wheels from Toyota fit exactly alike. The reason why I said full size is that some cars such as the MR2 or Celica has a smaller steering wheel. Now thats the easy part...

The hardest part is finding a single stage airbag that fits the steering wheel! The ONLY single stage airbag that fits the wheel is one off a 2001 Lexus RX. I just went with the dual stage one off a Camry cuz its cheap but its non functional since our cars are single stage.

Quick Reply: SC steering wheel options...