SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Hows your exprience with your SC?
The SC is my only car. It's been great(no problems, little to no time in the shop)
54.74%
The SC is my only car. I wish I had another car (Time in shop is noteworthy. It gets to be a hassle)
5.74%
I have 2 cars and My SC is my daily driver and I could do with just the SC
30.04%
I have 2 cars and My SC is my daily driver and thank god I have a second car
9.48%
Voters: 749. You may not vote on this poll

For you guys that use your Sc as a daily driver...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-07, 08:32 AM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by havok123
my car has 150,000 had 142,000 when i bought it.. found out about a week ago the timing belt has never been replaced!!!! after parts a labor it will be about 850~$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...
I did the water pump, timing belt, drive belt, and seals for like $880 + tax...so you might look around for diff prices or do some other work while you're in there.
Old 07-15-07, 11:31 AM
ONe21
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have a '92 SC300 and it had zero problems except for the LCA bushings, but that's a given. THEN, I found a 95 SC400 and I gave in to the unholy power of the v8. That car was nothing but a headache from the day after I drove it home. It was weird freak accident type of stuff though.

The distributor rotor exploded and caused it to miss incredibly bad. Then we fixed it and the other one cracked causing a similar problem so we replaced it. The same problem persisted to a lesser scale so I did a full tune up. Then it wouldn't start. Came to find out that the line out of the gas tank somehow detached and the gas was just recirculating back into the tank. So we fixed that. Then it ran good for about 3 days and started hesitating at speed. The O-rings and gromits were dried out and air was bypassing the sensor. We replaced all of the O-rings and gromits. Then it overheated on the way home (thermostat). At that point I took it back to the place we got it and said they sold us a lemon. The agreed to trade it for something else on the lot. We got a Sentra, because that was the only thing on the lot that we thought could be traded in easily. Then we headed straight to the Honda dealership and traded it in on an Accord.

I'll be looking for a 98-00 Black on black in the next 6 months though.

Last edited by ONe21; 07-15-07 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-03-07, 03:49 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I expect a few things to go wrong with these cars after considerable research-- Every thing on this list is just normal routine maintenance for any vehicle with over 100k miles--

The power steering-- the pump and sometimes the rack-- I replaced the rack due to a small non-threatening leak-- I just had the money and so I bought a low mileage rack-- It didn't go to the shop either, just in the parking lot, with my wrenches-- man that was a job--

The alternator-- my p/s return hose to the reservoir was pinched and dry-rotted when I got the car, so I blame the alt problem on that-- I rebuilt the alternator with a new rectifier and brushes and it's worked great ever since-- It's common for the alt and p/s pump to go together due to the fluid killing the alt-- but be sure your return hose and all other hoses are tight and leak free-- don't let a $4 part kill a $400 alternator!!!

The bushings-- every car ever manufactured has bushings and they wear out-- lexus bushings are softer, smoother, quieter, and consequently wear out faster, but the daizens are rock hard, harsh, and will never let you down-- replace them and forget about it-- Do your steering rack bushings too, it's pretty easy-- and do your front swaybar bushings with Superpro's from autozone-- $20 and no more clunking

End links This is just normal maintenance, and it's another easy job that gets rid of noises and clunks-- do the fronts and backs-- many times the rears will be good-- the way to check them is to hit the swaybar with your hand right where the end link connects-- if it clunks, it's bad-- if not, try to turn it on the ball joint-- if it's hard to turn, the ball joint socket is still good and there's no need to replace the link--

Wheel bearing I had one go bad-- I've had others claim the same problem happened to them on their sc as well-- Cost me $45 in parts, and I had a shop press it in after I disassembled/removed the spindle from the car and took it to them-- $25 -- gotta love Arkansas-- Lexus quoted me a ghastly sum of money for this job btw-- $475 or so-- took me 2 hrs total-- easy job too-- just need a press --

MOTOR MOUNTS!! I bought all three from lexus of pembroke pines for $170 shipped-- then did them myself in about 2 hrs-- not that bad really-- you just need a long handled flex head ratchet, a good jack, and a piece of thick plywood to jack up the motor-- very easy to do and it makes a HUGE difference

Trans Fluid Do a few drain and fills, 2 qts at a time-- $10 each time is cheap insurance to keep that expensive tranny working like new--

That's all I can think of that is a common occurance- Mine has 160k on the clock and will nail the speed limiter, track a straight line on the hwy, and is solid, quiet, dependable, and gets 26mpg hwy-- and it's a 92-- everything works as it should--

That's why Lexus is rated #1 in customer satisfaction-- they're the best engineered automobile in the world for the money-- They may not drive quite as well as a BMW 5 series, but they'll last longer and give you fewer problems and have just as much curb appeal --- probably a little faster too--
Old 08-04-07, 11:04 PM
CDY
Pole Position

Default Well...

I've had the SC for almost 3 months now and haven't had a single issue. Only complaints are that the cd-changer sucks, the suspension is too soft and there are a few cosmetic blemishes but nothing that impairs my ability to enjoy my 75 mile daily commute
Old 08-05-07, 08:45 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my SC400 maintained recently and the total came to $1850. It killed my money that I was saving for BBS LM wheels. But the car has been beautifully reliable. I just thought the car might need a tune-up since I just bought it recently. It needed a lot of things, like the timing belt, water pump, etc. done so hopefully it'll be good for a (long, long) while.
Old 08-26-07, 09:59 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My SC was my DD then I bought a Tercel to run miles up on.
Current cars include

72 Ford F250 Camper special
97 Olsdmobile Aurora
93 Toyota Tercel
87 Ford Tarus
92 Pontiac Grand Prix
1940 Harley Knucklehead
1940 Harley Knucklehead (yes I have two)
1966 Mustang coupe
1996 SC300
1997 SC400

I think thats it

No, I guess my Sc is not our DD.
Insurance Tags and taxes anyone? LOL
Old 08-29-07, 09:04 AM
bseizer
Driver School Candidate

I have a 97 sc400. I bought it on ebay 2-1/2 years ago w/ 120K.
It now has 186K. The transmission did have to get rebuilt last winter but its back and better than ever.
Its getting full paint next week, and new chrome shoes after that.

This is the 2nd SC400 that I have owned. I had a 92 SC400 that finally died after 265K miles.

I love these cars and would continue to buy them again and again.
Old 09-18-07, 08:56 PM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

i drive my SC every day. School, work, highway, city, weekday/weekend- it's my baby. I do have a 2001 Jeep Wrangler on the side, and I also have access to my mom's 2002 GS300- but I take the SC everywhere.

You gotta drive it to enjoy it, right?
Old 09-19-07, 01:54 AM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk97SC300
You gotta drive it to enjoy it, right?
exactly....you bought the car to drive it...so drive it
Old 09-19-07, 03:19 AM
808SOARER
Driver School Candidate

On my second sc300 so far. Drove both through a bunch of states in mainland us with 5speed trannies and loved every second of it. I crashed my first one while I was offroading/rallying (which i dont recommend). At least I have great footage of it though. My second one is a 95 silver/blue 5speed, black leather. That one's getting the full works. Got the 19's, and 2jzgte for it ... should be done by end of year, i hope.
great cars. considering I could be in a brand new car by now with the amount ive spent on them (and will continue to spend on them).
Old 09-19-07, 05:01 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 808SOARER
On my second sc300 so far. Drove both through a bunch of states in mainland us with 5speed trannies and loved every second of it. I crashed my first one while I was offroading/rallying (which i dont recommend). At least I have great footage of it though. My second one is a 95 silver/blue 5speed, black leather. That one's getting the full works. Got the 19's, and 2jzgte for it ... should be done by end of year, i hope.
great cars. considering I could be in a brand new car by now with the amount ive spent on them (and will continue to spend on them).
I would love to see that footage. I hear you on the part about being able to be in a new car by now. LOL
Old 09-19-07, 06:57 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

well i hate to say it but i have more cars then i need. i have a 02 ford f250 wich is a tow car. 02 mazda protege 5 wich is my curent daily, 1991 mazda miata that was my race car and the 92 sc300 which is my daily/ new race car
Old 09-20-07, 05:01 AM
MZSC300
Rookie

Aside from my engine light was on when I bought it...as far as problems arising from the light...none at all..I might have a sensore broke or something....not quite sure what the problem is...anybody know?
Old 10-02-07, 11:57 PM
PaperChase
Driver School Candidate

ugghhgh my SC needs so much work done

brake pads
rotors resurfaced
spark plugs

general tune up

same tire has blow 3 times in the last 3 months and now is leaking...

....W T F

im deff gonn be payin 1000$
and i have to get it all done in a weekend...

my life sucks.
Old 10-03-07, 09:19 AM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PaperChase
ugghhgh my SC needs so much work done

brake pads
rotors resurfaced
spark plugs

general tune up

same tire has blow 3 times in the last 3 months and now is leaking...

....W T F

im deff gonn be payin 1000$
and i have to get it all done in a weekend...

my life sucks.
Pads are $40.
Resurfaced rotors are $20-$30
Spark Plugs are $20
If possible, plug or patch the tire ($30-$50).

All of these can be changed in one day.

How did you get to a $1,000 total?

Quick Reply: For you guys that use your Sc as a daily driver...