SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Just received my new leather seat covers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-06, 10:28 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just received my new leather seat covers...

I took part in the last LeatherSeats.com group buy and went with the upgraded package. The leather is much softer than my stock 14 year old leather. The leather/vinyl match color is spot on.

I don't have a whole day to devote to installing them at one time so I will spread the work over a
2-3 week period. I'm probably going to start with the rear seats (estimate 2-3 hours) and then move on to the passenger seat (2-3 hours) and finally the driver seat (1-2 hours). Sound about right?

From what I read, this seems to be a not so easy install and requires lots of patience and sore knuckles. Now I just need to search for threads on install tips. Anybody got them handy?

I might start off with the rear seats today if I get home early enough.
Attached Thumbnails Just received my new leather seat covers...-seats0.jpg  
Old 03-21-06, 10:29 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Close up pics...
Attached Thumbnails Just received my new leather seat covers...-seats1.jpg  
Old 03-21-06, 10:44 AM
King7Two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasnt aware of the group buy.....I probably would have jumped on it if I did.

I was looking at those on my own though. Much better than Sheep skin or some other fabric. Let us know how they turn out.

I've been looking for something to keep the original seats in as new condition as I can.

Old 03-21-06, 10:55 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dam you, im so jelous .... If you dont mind me asking what "package" did you get and how much did it run you?

Tommy
Old 03-21-06, 10:55 AM
SWSC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by King7Two
I wasnt aware of the group buy.....I probably would have jumped on it if I did.

I was looking at those on my own though. Much better than Sheep skin or some other fabric. Let us know how they turn out.

I've been looking for something to keep the original seats in as new condition as I can.

Don't you have to pull off the original leather to put those on?
Old 03-21-06, 11:02 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SWSC400
Don't you have to pull off the original leather to put those on?

Yes, you do.
Old 03-21-06, 03:55 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

its really not that bad of a job, just make sure you have a sharp pair of dykes, and an nice pair of sprung hog ring pliers and your set. just take your time, put them in in a pattern that will keep the leather tight, and it should turn out great. the worst part will probably be getting the side pannels off the seats.
Old 03-21-06, 04:13 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ki_soarer
its really not that bad of a job, just make sure you have a sharp pair of dykes, and an nice pair of sprung hog ring pliers and your set. just take your time, put them in in a pattern that will keep the leather tight, and it should turn out great. the worst part will probably be getting the side pannels off the seats.
Thanks for the tips.

I am looking at the seats and wondering whether I should still put more money into this car or just save up for something new. Chances are I'll be selling the SC by the end of the year and I probably won't even come close to getting back the money I spent on making it look and run like new.

(sigh)

I could probably sell these covers for what I paid for them...that is if I don't install them.
Old 03-21-06, 04:27 PM
laumouth
Driver

if you decide not to install them, what would be your selling price?
Old 03-21-06, 05:05 PM
sdastg1
Driver

I redid the leather in my truck once, after I flipped it over into a mud pit (on purpose) and flooded the interior. I'm a do-it-yourself kidn of guy as much as the next guy, but this is one of those jobs, that "yes you can do it yourself, any monkey with a pair of pliers could" ... but it won't look as nice a proffessional job. You really have to know where to put in the hog rings, and at what angles, and then they shrunk the leather. I don't know but it was worth the cost. Plus door panels are a true pain in the ***.

You can save some dough by taking the seats out yourself and taking it to them and having them just install the leather. Then you can reinstall the seats yourself.

in either case, good luck with this.
Old 03-21-06, 05:20 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

I installed my own two tone with perf inserts and just put the hog rings where I took them off. Turned out beautiful, and I get compliments all the time. Looks stunning. Just take your time, and start inside and work your way out. Its not hard. It took a 12 pack spread over two nights (first was back seat to perfect the procedure, then headrests, arm rests) and practiced on the drivers seat (If I am sitting down no one will notice, right) before finishing the passenger seat. The hardest part was sizing up the headrests and getting the holes lined up to cut and getting the arm rests wrinkle free because of the adhesive. In the end, it was easy and looks great. For a while when you heat up the car the leather swells and you really get that new leather smell. Definatly worth the upgrade.
Old 03-22-06, 02:19 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

I'll take them off your hands at anytime if u wanna sell... I'll even throw in a 6 pack of ur favorite beer.. ahh hell make it a case,

Tommy

Originally Posted by bruce van
Thanks for the tips.

I am looking at the seats and wondering whether I should still put more money into this car or just save up for something new. Chances are I'll be selling the SC by the end of the year and I probably won't even come close to getting back the money I spent on making it look and run like new.

(sigh)

I could probably sell these covers for what I paid for them...that is if I don't install them.
Old 03-23-06, 06:20 AM
actuary
Driver

Originally Posted by sdastg1
I redid the leather in my truck once, after I flipped it over into a mud pit (on purpose) and flooded the interior. I'm a do-it-yourself kidn of guy as much as the next guy, but this is one of those jobs, that "yes you can do it yourself, any monkey with a pair of pliers could" ... but it won't look as nice a proffessional job. You really have to know where to put in the hog rings, and at what angles, and then they shrunk the leather. I don't know but it was worth the cost. Plus door panels are a true pain in the ***.

You can save some dough by taking the seats out yourself and taking it to them and having them just install the leather. Then you can reinstall the seats yourself.

in either case, good luck with this.
My thoughts exactly. I like working on my car and all but this job is just a pain in the *** that in the end may not even look as good as it can with a professional install. I installed the same kit you got on my car and I swore never to do it again.
Old 03-23-06, 08:07 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by actuary
My thoughts exactly. I like working on my car and all but this job is just a pain in the *** that in the end may not even look as good as it can with a professional install. I installed the same kit you got on my car and I swore never to do it again.
You may be right about it being a PITA. That is one of my concerns. If the cost isn't too much, I am considering having it professionally done. Anybody have any idea how much it would run to have
a pro install the 2 fronts and rear seats? Also where I can trust someone to do it?
Old 10-19-16, 11:14 AM
faast
Driver School Candidate

Can you please post the updated pictures and can you also comment on the quality and the fitment?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Just received my new leather seat covers...