SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

(near) EMERGENCY!! Subwoofer hell!! 1 Ohm!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-01, 08:43 PM
captclam
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I just pulled my back deck apart to work on putting in new speaks and sub... (93' stock pioneer system on SC400). I found when I put in the new Sub, NOTHING!! I thing it is because the old one was 1 Ohm... I though my MTX wasn't working... then remembered Ohms Law which states...

"When it is 10 pm and you have put your new MTX sub in, and slathered every possible spot with silicone because the new 10" sub is too wide to sit all the way down in the opening, you will find that the new 4 Ohm sub does not even move a bit as a result of not enough current to move it because the old one was stamped 1 Ohm. Thusly, after cracking the edges of the back deck from being too much of an idiot to figure out how to get the side panels off after removing the back seats and forcing the deck cover out, you will find that you are completely SCREWED!!"

I think Ohm's law also says something about the deck cover not fitting back on because the woofer is jammed crooked into the opening because the opening was not large enough to fit the new 10" sub. Also, it goes into all the vibrations that will be flapping about in the back windows area if you ever do actually figure out how to wire a punch 45 amp in as an emergency half-*** solution for not having the new sub move at all because it is under powered!!

So much for Mr. Ohm!! (by the way, yes, I did jumper one of the speakers to the sub, and the sub does work... at least on the left and right channels... I only have a digital mulitester which does not help with testing the subwoofer speaker feed. I do get an ever so slight crackle upon initial contact when plugging it in. (and the old one still works... though I had to rip it apart (so I thought) to get the mounting bracket off it)

So, I have the pinouts for the changer and rear speaker amp... how about some information on the sub amp which I believe is affixed to the underside of the back deck under the back window... is that what that thing on the left side is?? If I unplug the (approx) 10 pin connector from it nothing happens...

Is there an input to that little amp I can use as an RCA-like low level input into the Punch 45 amp?? Or, should I take what was the old subwoofer speaker wires and run it into the speaker wire inputs of the amp?? Will that even work if it is 1 Ohm??

One last note,

"AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!"

Bad Lexus BAD LEXUS!!

P.S My electronic forum search on "subwoofer AND amp" came up with the usual 3900+ matches... I don't think the search works correctly...
Old 08-26-01, 08:46 PM
captclam
Rookie

Unhappy Forgot to mention...

Forgot to add, I have to drive my 4 year old to school in the morning, and can't put her car seat in the front due to 1st gen air bag!! AAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!

Perhaps, I will give in for now and leave the deck cover off and put the seats back in for morning!!

I am really counting on you guys to come though for me... my wife is going to have my *** for taking the car apart and leaving it apart!!

Sign,

Whipped!!:eek:
Old 08-27-01, 03:15 AM
Justice
Driver School Candidate

Ouch man.... hmm sometimes it is worth the cash to have them profesionaly installed...
Old 08-27-01, 07:45 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL. Usually you first find out what the story is with the sub by taking a look at it and measuring it. Here is my plan in the future. Figure out what kind of sub I have and get a matching size but way more powerful. Get an amp, run the + from the battery, then - from the frame, and viola. Amps are there to boost the power of the signal. That is what you need. You can't possibly think that the stock sub was soo powerful!! After all, it doesn't come with an amp, there is no way a stereo system will be powerful enough to give a big sub power.
Old 08-27-01, 08:41 AM
captclam
Rookie

Default Update

At 4:30 this morning I finished getting the interior back together. Spent 2 hours trying to find a way through the firewall with 8 gauge wire!! Found it just above the footrest deep in the drivers well next to the fuse block. There is a black rubber circle with a yellow plastic coduit running through it and a cable. If you really work it hard you can get it through and go through the fender and into a nice opening by the hood strut. Then you can run it right next to all the other wires past the engine fuses and right to the battery.

Sub is resting firmly on the gas tank... makes me pretty hinky... think it could cause the car to explode??:eek:

Kirk

Any idea what that box is next to the passenger side speaker??

Also, are the factory speakers worth anything to anyone??

Also, also, the speakers are stamped 4 Ohms!! Can you believe that??
Old 08-27-01, 08:48 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Box beside the passenger speaker in the rear deck = The amplifier for the factory sub! Ya, that little silver thing is the amp for it. You can pull it out if you're running your sub off a new amp.

The speakers are 4-ohm in the car......

SR
Old 08-27-01, 11:04 AM
lexcoupe94
Driver School Candidate

When I installed my amp, I connected the woofer amp speaker wires to the high-level inputs of my new amp (the one with black stripe is positive-seems weird but sounded weak the other way), adjusted the gain and it worked great. Even the stock woofer sounds much better with added amplification.
The stock woofer has a thick ring around it. Maybe you could remove that ring and use it to mount your new woofer, to get a better seal.
I'm thinking of installing two 10" woofers side by side in place of the stock one. Check out this link to a badass SC400 stereo install:
http://www.customautoradio.com/CAR2K...us/93lexus.htm
Old 08-27-01, 12:10 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a NICE install!

SR
Old 08-27-01, 04:07 PM
YuuDawg
Driver

think the response to your original question is, no there is no rca input/output in the original system... you can buy a speaker->rca converter for like $20 from best buys, and tap into any of the speaker wires... that's what i did, and you'll get your rca outputs... the speaker amp is below where the cd changer is if you have one, on the back right side all the way at the bottom... i think you said you had the pinouts already so you just need a + and - signal to hook up to the converter

Old 08-27-01, 06:18 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm I wonder if the stereo in that article sounds any good!
Old 08-28-01, 02:53 PM
captclam
Rookie

Default ramblings...

Arn't the wires coming out of the head unit low level. Why can't I just splice them onto RCA connectors and go from there? The converters are meant to cancel out the amplified signal right? The signal from the head unit to the amp is not amped yet, right??

Think that sub amp is worth anything on Ebay? How 'bout the speakers?

I am going to try the RCA plug splice tonight and let you know how it went...

Kirk

P.S. A guy hit my car today... $750 in damage. :eek:
Old 08-28-01, 05:09 PM
YuuDawg
Driver

heard they go for about $70
i just took mine out too i'm going to sell it on ebay