Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Door won't open - From Inside or Outside

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-06, 05:46 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibacksucka
I had both door lock assemblies replaced for a total of over $1100 at the lexo stealership--both broke at different times but probaly 1.5 years from each other. The little plastic tip broke on both doors
Wow! They sure did a good job of tearing your wallet apart, maybe along with your heart. The lock assemblies are really hard to break. The plastic piece is most likely the case. This plastic piece actually holds the lock cable, which you pull to open the door, and it also holds the metal rod that opens the lock. When this plastic is broken, it'll likely bend this rod down as well. But you can carefully bend it up. And this rod costs $500 because it's in the lock assembly..hah..hah..hah.
Old 02-06-06, 02:31 PM
DJTWIST
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I actually ended up buying the whole assembly off ebay for $80. Not bad at all compared to $266 from the dealer.

*FYI- If your door doesn't open, DO NOT roll down the window. As said before, it's usually just a plastic piece and that's an easy $7 fix. But, if you roll down the window and bend the rod , it turns into a $266 job and that's not including labor. Luckily, I'm handy and working on it myself.
Old 02-06-06, 04:12 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJTWIST
Thanks guys. I actually ended up buying the whole assembly off ebay for $80. Not bad at all compared to $266 from the dealer.

*FYI- If your door doesn't open, DO NOT roll down the window. As said before, it's usually just a plastic piece and that's an easy $7 fix. But, if you roll down the window and bend the rod , it turns into a $266 job and that's not including labor. Luckily, I'm handy and working on it myself.
Yeah, I forgot to mention this. You're very right.
Old 05-09-12, 04:14 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i'm bumping this terribly old thread because my door handle "lift rod" retainer clip thing broke today, so the rod just fell back and doesnt get pulled by the door handle anymore.

i am pretty sure the part # is 90467-07120 and it's like $2 at Sewell Lexus. the diagram isn't too clear, so anyone feel free to correct me on that part #.
Old 05-10-12, 08:02 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

found the DIY thread. here's the part # for the driver's side:
69293-12040

5 bucks at the toyota dealer.
Old 08-03-15, 11:10 AM
Bigdaddee
Driver School Candidate

Default Door won't open

Originally Posted by stevechumo
The problem might not be the actuator, try this out first. It's also very common for your lock symptom. The little white plastic piece that hold the cable inside the door panel might have been half-way broken. Therefore, it locks up sometimes when you open the door electronically and someones opens it manually at the same time. That white plastic piece costs around $10 at Lexus dealer. It's located at the end of the opening cable near the metal piece near the lock. If you open the door panel, you'll see 2 cables to open the door. Follow the cables to the end and you'll see it. It's hard to explain, but if you go to the Lexus dealer, they'll know. I believe the part number is 90467-07120. With the door swing open, you can take off the door panel easily to replace this piece.

It happened to me and I had to pry up the top door panel from the inside (right above the wooden piece), and pull the lock cable manually to open the door. It's not that hard, but it takes patience. If you try this, be careful not to break the door panel.
How did you get the door panel apart? I've got a 600 that I put the panel on, checked that the door handles unlocked the clasp, closed door, but the door won't open now. Checked lock, it's loose like it's not connected, tried key fob to unlock door, still doesn't open from inside or out.
Old 08-03-15, 06:45 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

If it IS the actuator being the issue you may just need to replace the little white clip. Just don't roll the window down until it's fixed, trust me, it'll save you a huge headache..

Edit: just noticed you already did this, sorry man!!
Old 12-06-15, 06:09 PM
pishta
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its pretty hard to figure this stuff out when the door WONT OPEN to access the lower sill screws to pop the panel off. Manually cycle the lock back and forth, with a little luck, itll pop back into position. If its hosed beyond cycling the lock, I can tell you how to pop the door with minimal impact on the inner panel. There is a little pin next to the exterior lock rod behiund the white plastic shield that you can push down with a screwdriver, this is the release mechanism for the door latch and can be accessed by pulling the door panel off at the rear of the door after you remove the 2 armwrest screws and the interior door handle screw.
Old 01-10-16, 04:33 PM
Inder
Driver School Candidate

Default Locked door

Originally Posted by Koma
Have you tried manually manuevering the lock open or closed?
If you can get it either way it might loosen up again. This used to happen alot to me because my friends are dumb.
How do you manually manuever the lock?
Old 10-30-17, 11:58 AM
CGYIS250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pishta
Its pretty hard to figure this stuff out when the door WONT OPEN to access the lower sill screws to pop the panel off. Manually cycle the lock back and forth, with a little luck, itll pop back into position. If its hosed beyond cycling the lock, I can tell you how to pop the door with minimal impact on the inner panel. There is a little pin next to the exterior lock rod behiund the white plastic shield that you can push down with a screwdriver, this is the release mechanism for the door latch and can be accessed by pulling the door panel off at the rear of the door after you remove the 2 armwrest screws and the interior door handle screw.

Old thread.. but have very familiar issue i'm trying to fix. Any chance there's a picture of this 'release mechanism' ?? I have 2nd Gen IS250 so it's quite possibly different
Old 10-30-17, 12:12 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I am having this problem right now on my 93 SC300.
Old 04-04-18, 07:25 PM
Clipz808
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best Advice!!!

Originally Posted by stevechumo
It happened to me and I had to pry up the top door panel from the inside (right above the wooden piece), and pull the lock cable manually to open the door. It's not that hard, but it takes patience. If you try this, be careful not to break the door panel.
THIS ACTUALLY WORKED!!! My rear driverside door hasn't been able to open in months, but I could always hear the actuator working whenever I would unlock or lock the doors. I've been dreading getting this fixed by a mechanic because they've all quoted me about $600 saying that the actuator is bad and needed to be replaced although I knew that couldn't be true. I've read so many forums on this problem but none had any solutions on how to actually get the door open without damaging the door panel. Until today... I just pulled back the door panel (with ease) and there it was looking back at me, the door lock cable just sitting there unattached to anything. Grabbed my needle nose pliers and gave it a little yank. I almost cried when it opened. Thanks again!!
Old 12-05-18, 04:16 AM
04LS671
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clipz808
THIS ACTUALLY WORKED!!! My rear driverside door hasn't been able to open in months, but I could always hear the actuator working whenever I would unlock or lock the doors. I've been dreading getting this fixed by a mechanic because they've all quoted me about $600 saying that the actuator is bad and needed to be replaced although I knew that couldn't be true. I've read so many forums on this problem but none had any solutions on how to actually get the door open without damaging the door panel. Until today... I just pulled back the door panel (with ease) and there it was looking back at me, the door lock cable just sitting there unattached to anything. Grabbed my needle nose pliers and gave it a little yank. I almost cried when it opened. Thanks again!!
Could you explain how you were able to pull back the door panel? Im going through the same issue with my passenger rear door. At first it wouldn't close and after the drive home it is now stuck closed and won't open. I also think my child safety is on. Thanks in advance
Old 12-05-18, 08:29 AM
Clipz808
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 04LS671
Could you explain how you were able to pull back the door panel? Im going through the same issue with my passenger rear door. At first it wouldn't close and after the drive home it is now stuck closed and won't open. I also think my child safety is on. Thanks in advance
Luckly my child safety was off. But allI did to open the door was roll down the window, grab the door panel from the top, and pull up and towards the inside of the car. It comes off very easily. Let me know if you still need some help, I can post some pics after work if need be.
Old 12-05-18, 01:27 PM
04LS671
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clipz808
Luckly my child safety was off. But allI did to open the door was roll down the window, grab the door panel from the top, and pull up and towards the inside of the car. It comes off very easily. Let me know if you still need some help, I can post some pics after work if need be.
thanks for the quick reply. I was able to roll the window down, force the unlock from the inside and open the door from the outside. My child safety was on. Now time to remove the actuator and see what’s going on.

Quick Reply: Door won't open - From Inside or Outside