SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Bad shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-01, 10:15 PM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I got my 93 SC4 about 3 weeks ago and it has approx. 100k miles on it. I have a feeling that the shocks may be worn out, but since I don't really have something to compare it to, I am not really sure.

Do you think that after 100k shocks need to be replaced?
Any idea how to check if the shocks are good / bad?
How much for new OEM shocks?

Thanks
Old 08-06-01, 05:11 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, very worn

OEM are anywhere from 500-800, aftermarket (which are better) are around 300-400.

Todd M.
TM Engineering
Old 08-06-01, 05:29 PM
joegolf
Rookie

Unhappy

Hi, I just bought my 96 SC 400 last month. I love the car but I just made my first vacation trip. I could feel every bump on the road and was going to look myself at how to stop the washboard affect. This is a great car and I only have 21K miles total but the ride is very rough. I now have Goodyear Eagles on it and will appreciate any and all help on how to get a smoother ride out of my beast. Good luck to you too my friend!

Joe
Old 08-06-01, 05:36 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Stock shocks don't really last more than 15000-20000 before they start going bad.

You don't notice cause it's gradual, but if you changed to new, good shocks you'd wonder how the hell you even drove the car before!

We do have the tokicos for $280/set which are very good and come with a manufacturers lifetime warranty.

Old 08-06-01, 05:58 PM
joegolf
Rookie

Talking

I'm just a bit of a cynic! "lLfetime warranty?" Who's life, yours, mine, the shocks, my cars....?

If shocks last only 15 to 20K, ss you write, then yours last for a lifetime? What if they wear out in 30K miles? Do you replace them for free? If not, how much to send in the worn ones and get new ones.

I'm sure you have great shocks and a great customer serivce policy, but I was looking for an opinion that came fromm a source without a vested interest (profit) but am glad you answered and also am interested in the deal you make.

Joe
Old 08-06-01, 09:51 PM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

15-20k miles for OEM shocks?!?!?! You gotta be kidding, right? I have no problem at all to accept that Lexus shocks are bad after 100k, but 15k? What the he*!%?

Anyway, which shocks do you guys recommend if I want to keep the original 'Lexus feeling'? Is OEM the only way to go, or would for example the Tokicos feel the same?

Thanks
Old 08-06-01, 10:50 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

As I said, lifetime manufacturer's warranty. That can be interpreted any way you want, but they come with a warranty card that will spell it out. You can send them back to the manufacturer as many times as you like for replacement I assume. I have never had any problems personally or with any that I have seen installed by myself or any other shop.

We only put them in, we don't make them. If you don't agree with their replacement policy I suppose you can call them and tell them so.

As for your insinuation that I have some vested interest, I'm just trying to help you out here with a fair price. I never told you to buy them. Not from me or from anyone for that matter. You can leave your car the way it is if you wish, I'm only trying to help you with good information.

I never push anything on anyone, nor have I ever in the past 2-odd years of posting on here and answering technical questions (with no compensation for that matter). I've even worked on Michael Kilty's car more than once at no charge. Did he compensate me at all? No. Has he ever promoted my business or referred anyone to me? No.

If you think I get any significant return in business from this forum, think again...the support I get from this forum is very minimal (close to zero actually) as far as revenue and sales. It's pretty much donated time because I like to help people out and keep them from being ripped off or getting their cars screwed up. From your accusation, I guess that you feel otherwise. I am sorry to hear that there are people out there that feel that way.

If you think I am pushing this brand, try to find something at a reasonable price with good quality for this car. You will quickly find that (other than the Tokicos) there is pretty much nothing out there except high dollar stuff and OEM replacements which don't really put you any better of than when you started. I simply tried to help you save time and frustration by letting you know a very cost effective and sensible alternative is as opposed to the inferior stock parts.

As for the OE ones wearing out, pretty much all OE-type shocks will start to wear after 10-15000 miles. As I posted earlier, you won't really notice as it's a gradual problem, but if you changed to brand new or aftermarket ones, you'd notice the difference immediately.

This is nothing specific to Lexus or anything, it's pretty much a given with virtually all stock shocks/struts.

Last edited by DoubleWhoosh; 08-06-01 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-06-01, 10:57 PM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Default Which ones then?

Allright, allright ... no need to discuss if OEM shocks should be worn after 20k or not ... cause mine got 100k

So which ones do you think I should go for? I don't want to make my ride stiffer or anything. Just want the original Lexus feeling back. Will the Tokicos do that? I've read very controversial feedback here on the Tokicos. Some say they're A LOT stiffer, others even think they're softer ...

Thanks
Old 08-07-01, 09:46 AM
joegolf
Rookie

Exclamation

DoubleWhoosh

My post was needless harsh and insensitive to you. My apologies. I believe your information is directed at assisting us less technical individuals (mechanically challenged) and is appreciated very much.

When I hear lifetime warranty though, my personal experiences have shown there are usually enough loopholes to make it worthless the day after the purchase.

I'm not sure what everyone means by stiffer ride, softer ride, etc. All I know is that I can feel every bump on the road and would very much like to have a smoother ride where I don't feel the road at all. If the shocks you recommend give that smooth ride, great, I'll give them a try ASAP. I want to enjoy a quiet drive in my fun car without the washboard effect.

Thanks for the info and I will read your posts anticipating a learning experience from someone who really knows. Thanks for the info and the follow-up.

Joe
Old 08-07-01, 01:08 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the KYB shocks. They're the same as OEM because when I replaced my shocks that was what I saw.

The Tokicos are a bit firmer than factory. I doubt that you'd feel any difference anyway; I couldn't. But for some reasons they would leave a higher wheel gap than the factory ones.
Old 08-07-01, 02:15 PM
TOPLEXS
Driver

Cool

Don't believe the OEM shocks are giving you a harsh ride. First I would check my tire pressure, and see if it is higher than recomended in the book. (Not the pressure MAX listed on the tire.)

Then I would check to see if the coil springs have been replaced with aftermarket. If so switching back to stock should smooth out the ride.

If this does not cure the ride then you will need to rely on the excellent handling of your coupe, and swerve around all the bumps.