SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Official Thread: Where's that damn noise coming from?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-06, 07:20 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

two problems i solved

1.) all this creeking noise coming from below my car when i would come to a stop and turn it off, it would creek from the exhaust pipes below SOOO much, extremely annoying
SOLUTION
removed my cats and put test pipes in, for others maybe replace the cat or remove the heatshield. Next i took off every POS clamp that held the various exhaust shields on the exhaust system and put on steel clamps that you screw to reduce in size, like a big metal ziptie, used for intakes a lot. ta-da! stopped the squeeks

2.) yeah you guys mention the rear seatbelts, god that IS annoying. Two weeks of that and i said **** it, i removed the rear seats, tried to see if i could take them out, well you cant unless you want to leave a gap in your rear deck. So i did the next best thing, i installed the rear seat with the seat belt behind it! HAHA i beat you ya stupid seat belt. I wrapped the metal buckle thing in a towel, and tucked it behind the side pannel.

I never let anyone ride in the back so it doesnt matter, and looks better too

Applies to anyone
1.) I have a x50 radar detector, anyway it would sometimes annoy me when i would hit ruff surfaces and it would chitter against the windshield. So i had some felt stickies laying around (used for the bottom of items you dont want scratching surfaces in your home), i got the smalles one, cut it in half, and stuck it to both tabs that rested against the windshield, well this helped but only like 80%. So i then used electrical tape and put it on the flat part where the radar can detach from the window sticky. No more noise. I only did this though after i got my new suspension that is harder than stock, so it chitterd more and we cant have that now.

Some problems i havent fixed.

1.) My passenger seat squeeks when nobody is in there and i go over ruff surfaces!!! i sprayed WD40 down there one day at the joint, only helped a little bit and soon it what back, i plan on removing the seat and thuroughly lubricating it with grease.
2.) i have the shifter problem too, but only occasionally
3.) moon roof, but i always keep my tilted
4.) I have this extremely annoying clunking coming from the rear of my suspension. I know i had one blown shock, and i got new JIC magic coilovers, well that helped out the blown shock and the uneven ride, but this other clucking sound now is more prevalent and its annoying the **** out of me. Im going to go over all the bushings and see what their conditions are.

Those are the problems i have left, i HATE squeeks and other noises, i want the ride to sound solid, and it doesnt if it has these noises.
Old 03-29-06, 07:24 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
my biggest hate:
-flimsy/crap cup holder! this this buzzzzzzzzzes nonstop!
this problem emerged when i got my exhaust done. it was so f'in loud that it vibrated the lid of the cupholder.

my solution was to use a small piece of the thick double sided mounting tape (the kidn that is a couple mm thick) and placed it as cushioning on the spot where the lid makes contact with the cupholder. problem solved
Old 03-29-06, 08:18 PM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

I cant hear anything over the sound of my NAK sound system!
Old 04-05-06, 11:04 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I just wanted to update this thread. I got my car on a lift today and solved that grinding problem my car had. I hope it's as easy for everyone else as it was for me.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...49#post1820049
Old 04-06-06, 03:18 PM
h22integ
Driver School Candidate

I have this wierd whirring noise, sounds like its coming from the gauge cluster it sounds louder as I accelerate. It happens all the time, in the morning, at night, when its cold, when its hot. The guy I bought the car from said its from the aftermarket stereo system but I'm not to sure.
Old 04-06-06, 07:36 PM
King7Two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by h22integ
I have this wierd whirring noise, sounds like its coming from the gauge cluster it sounds louder as I accelerate. It happens all the time, in the morning, at night, when its cold, when its hot. The guy I bought the car from said its from the aftermarket stereo system but I'm not to sure.
thats stereo noise.
.......turn off you radio....and see if you still hear it.

sounds like a back yard install to me
Old 04-07-06, 10:59 AM
h22integ
Driver School Candidate

I dont have an antenna so I really dont listen to the radio. I listen to cds all the time. When I changed the middle console and the lighter thing I found out that theres this wire that is connected to the lighter and if its not connected the speakers dont work. Should I just bring it to a stereo shop and have them put it in right?
Old 04-07-06, 12:04 PM
SLEXC400
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by h22integ
I dont have an antenna so I really dont listen to the radio. I listen to cds all the time. When I changed the middle console and the lighter thing I found out that theres this wire that is connected to the lighter and if its not connected the speakers dont work. Should I just bring it to a stereo shop and have them put it in right?
But you are still using the amp in the stereo even if you are not listening to the radio. From what I've seen, usually noise from a stereo is a grounding problem. It might simply be a matter of finding another grounding point for the stereo. A noise filter can be installed if regrounding doesn't solve the problem. It's pretty easy stuff to do yourself, but if you are unfamiliar with car stereos or don't feel comfortable with delving into it yourself, you can just take the car to a good stereo shop and explain to them what's going on. It sounds like whoever installed the stereo didn't have a wiring diagram of the existing connector(s), so they used the lighter as a power source.
Old 04-16-06, 06:57 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts
Default I Solved My Rear Deck Rattle

Well guys, I got back there and I pinpointed the source of MY rattle.

Basically, I would get really awful rattling when I would hit bumps, or when I would play music on the stock sub back there. It always sounded like it was the sub-woofer cover that was rattling, but low and behold when I removed that and drove around, still rattled!

Basically, what ended being the cause of the rattle were the METAL CLIPS that are attached to the subwoofer where the sub-woofer cover clips in to. I played some music that is HEAVY on the bass and tried to bend these clips in different positions. The only one that was rattling for me was the bottom right clip. When I pushed down/applied pressure on this clip with my finger as the music was playing, I got no rattle and the DEEPEST bass I have ever heard out of my stock sub. I took some pliers and bent that clip around in different positions until it stopped rattling. Now I am happy

Something tells me the rattle will be back soon, I need to find a way to permanently fix it.
Old 04-16-06, 09:24 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
Well guys, I got back there and I pinpointed the source of MY rattle.

Basically, I would get really awful rattling when I would hit bumps, or when I would play music on the stock sub back there. It always sounded like it was the sub-woofer cover that was rattling, but low and behold when I removed that and drove around, still rattled!

Basically, what ended being the cause of the rattle were the METAL CLIPS that are attached to the subwoofer where the sub-woofer cover clips in to. I played some music that is HEAVY on the bass and tried to bend these clips in different positions. The only one that was rattling for me was the bottom right clip. When I pushed down/applied pressure on this clip with my finger as the music was playing, I got no rattle and the DEEPEST bass I have ever heard out of my stock sub. I took some pliers and bent that clip around in different positions until it stopped rattling. Now I am happy

Something tells me the rattle will be back soon, I need to find a way to permanently fix it.
WOw, great update bro!! Thanks!
Old 08-16-06, 03:47 PM
Psionic
Lead Lap

Just to keep this all in one thread:

I have a banging noise when I accellerate from a dead stop. It starts off kinda light, then when I hit ~12mph is sounds like I am going over the center median reflector lights or like someone is banging the bottom of the car with a hammer. When I hit 15mph the sound goes away and it is completely smooth up to 100mph.

I replaced the transmission mount about 25k miles ago, but is still sounds like it is coming from directly under the shifter... or somewhere behind it...
Old 08-16-06, 09:34 PM
shaitaan
Lexus Test Driver

good thread
Old 08-17-06, 06:17 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

the gear shifter ,suspension clunking when going over bumps .the steering makes a rubbing sound when turning .i can live with all of these noises except the gear shifter rattling, sometimes i feel like ripping it out and tossing it so far its not even funny .and now since i took my radio out going to work every morning is so frustrating .cant wait to get my indash touch screen.
Old 08-22-06, 08:52 AM
Psionic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Psionic
Just to keep this all in one thread:

I have a banging noise when I accellerate from a dead stop. It starts off kinda light, then when I hit ~12mph is sounds like I am going over the center median reflector lights or like someone is banging the bottom of the car with a hammer. When I hit 15mph the sound goes away and it is completely smooth up to 100mph.

I replaced the transmission mount about 25k miles ago, but is still sounds like it is coming from directly under the shifter... or somewhere behind it...
Update: It was the center bearing in the driveshaft.
Old 08-23-06, 10:52 AM
Tymboo
Rookie

I was having a rattling noise coming from the rear passenger side. If I accelerate quickly then I don’t hear it, but slowly and rattle rattle!!! Its so annoying. Well I finally put some end's aside, and drove up to the muffler shop, expecting to end up buying a new muffler, or catalytic converter. After the Lexo was up on the rack. The problem was found. It was the exhaust tip that was loose. The guy tapped it on tighter with a hammer, and the sound went away. Wow that changed my entire weekend plans.. I ended up using those end's to purchace a new K&N air filter, and tune up!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Official Thread: Where's that damn noise coming from?