SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Official Thread: Where's that damn noise coming from?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-05, 10:04 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok the flapping of the seatbelts when the windows are down will happen no matter what... wind will hit them and that is acceptable.

My car has gone through stages of some creaks/rattles. Some fix themselves as time goes on. Otherwise, I find removing the weatherstripping gets rid of the buzz rattles, and then stuffing the cavities (rear panels/door panels) with polyester clumps will solve problems well enough. aside from that, keep in mind these are still exceptionally well-made vehicles.
Old 12-26-05, 10:14 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IronCobra
well replacing the driveshaft was only about $75.00 labor. I chose this because replacing the bearing can sometimes cause damage to the driveshaft during the process. I think the labor for that alone was around $450.00

so just to replace the bearing its 450 in labor? holy smokes! How much to buy the whole new driveshaft?
Old 12-26-05, 10:25 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pirate400
so just to replace the bearing its 450 in labor? holy smokes! How much to buy the whole new driveshaft?
I paid $900 for the complete Driveshaft with bearing from IronToad.

The bearing alone is a bout $250 plus the labor.
Old 12-27-05, 10:19 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

so say that I dont fix it...whats gonna happen? will it just one day break and then I'm SOL?
Old 12-27-05, 10:36 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pirate400
so say that I dont fix it...whats gonna happen? will it just one day break and then I'm SOL?
You'd probably be fine, you would have to put up with the ugly sound it will make. Also, it can possible cause damage to your driveshaft.
Old 12-27-05, 10:41 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

yea i caught the end of that show too. I hear like a squeaking from the right rear sometimes when on the highway.
Old 12-27-05, 10:48 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Driver's side wood panel, just to the left of the door handle. nasty buzz rattle probably inaudible on a stock exhaust, but with my rumble it rattles to no end while in the 2000-3500 range. I end up hitting it with my fist repeated times until it stops, only to have it come back 10 minutes later.

Rearview mirror rattles hard on full throttle acceleration through the upper RPM range, again, probably because of the exhaust.

My seatbelt doesn't flap around in the wind ALWAYS, sometimes it does, othertimes not at all. I find that putting the buckle somewheres in the middle of the belt (instead of letting it be at the bottom) and obviously tucking the rotating part back sometimes prevents any flappage.

Nasty rattle from my stock subwoofer/rear deck ANYTIME the sub hits. It's really annoying, and has increased as of late. I removed the third brake light cover altogether, and it still rattles. Leads me to believe that its something with the rear deck itself.

Driver's side door panel squeaks, right where your left knee would touch, just above the speaker. Also this panel seems very loose. It squeaks when I hit the slightest bump, so I end up pounding my knee against it much like I do for the wood trim until it stops, only to have it return in 10 minutes.

Lately I've picked up a buzz rattle coming from my climate control unit. Seems like its coming from just behind the defroster buttons. This one only comes up once in a while.

Thankfully I have no noises from the shifter area or that shotty cupholder lid.
Old 12-27-05, 10:56 AM
Fiya
Lead Lap

Wind howling noise coming from interior vents at highway speed. (sounds like a ghost)

I fixed my sub rattle. I found out it was coming from my rear licence plate vibrating against the bumper, a little cardboard fixed that in 2 seconds
Old 12-27-05, 11:20 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I had an idea on how to fix the moonroof panel and door panel from squeaking. I figured since it only squeaks because various parts should be moving against each other. We can take some sort of absorbent type material to line against the rubbing parts. I am going to try this out one day. I just cannot take the moonroof and door panel anymore. I always hit it while driving.

BTW, if you really can't take the moonroof sqeaking, just close that compartment up or open it a little bit.
Old 12-27-05, 11:22 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
Nasty rattle from my stock subwoofer/rear deck ANYTIME the sub hits. It's really annoying, and has increased as of late. I removed the third brake light cover altogether, and it still rattles. Leads me to believe that its something with the rear deck itself.
THis one gets to me also, it's almost as if it would have made the noise when the car was new (which is sorta hard to believe). My 95 SC400 and my 93 GS300 also made the same noise when you turn the bass up.

Driver's side door panel squeaks, right where your left knee would touch, just above the speaker. Also this panel seems very loose. It squeaks when I hit the slightest bump, so I end up pounding my knee against it much like I do for the wood trim until it stops, only to have it return in 10 minutes.
I also have this same noise.. irritates the crap out of me!

Lately I've picked up a buzz rattle coming from my climate control unit. Seems like its coming from just behind the defroster buttons. This one only comes up once in a while.
I've also had this happen sometimes. not very often though.

Thankfully I have no noises from the shifter area or that shotty cupholder lid
I personally think something may be broke on mine. I'll have to take it apart.
Old 12-27-05, 01:11 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by southernsc
3rd brake light squeak- no subwoofer in stock place and the new sub in the trunk rattles it loose.
steering column - needs a good greasing of the gears.
me too! grrrr!
Old 12-27-05, 03:47 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Lexus suposed to be quiet and rattle free

I can`t complain on interior noises, I have wind noise though from driver side door on the freeway speed. Door gasket is $100, I just asked Friday, spendy....

For noise to occour there have to be vibration source, media to propagate it and noise "emmiter". F.e. tire with flat spot produce vibration, chasis transport it and dashboard resonate in frequency of tire producing noise.
Many of you modified car with aftermarket parts of different resonance freqency than OEM, like exhaust, suspension components, added unsprung weight, etc. Others just have car in bad shape, motor mounts, worn out suspension, bad bearings list go on....... That is many possible sources.
Old 12-27-05, 06:20 PM
antn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Soarer_25GTT
Errr... I've got the E-brake creak that I hear on a lot of other cars
same problem here, coming from the rear left wheel. whenever i drive slowly i can here it and when i lift up the e-brake its gone so far me and the techs have been playin around with it and when we leave it on drive and play around with the shield for the rotor, the sound would disappear sometime.. or you can try adjusting the ebrake
Old 12-27-05, 06:35 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by IronCobra
I paid $900 for the complete Driveshaft with bearing from IronToad.

The bearing alone is a bout $250 plus the labor.
God where are you buying this stuff from? The bearing can be had for $100. (don't recall where) I paid $150 labor for a complete driveshaft swap after having a machine shop press the new bearing on and remove the old one for $35.

If you do not fix this the vibration will wear the engine and tranny mounts and cost thousands more in parts and labor and eventually wear the output shaft on the tranny as well as the rear input shaft on the rear end.

This thread is funny though because it reminds me of the "complaints from other forums" thread where an exotic (I think Lambo forum) was like "wind noise above 210 mph, what to do?"

Last edited by O. L. T.; 12-27-05 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-28-05, 08:07 PM
SLEXC400
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had what I thought was a bad bearing in my drivetrain as well and the local Lexus repair shop I use said that the transmission mount on the SC400 compresses a lot over time and could be causing my noise (especially prevalent when "floating" the accelerator). I bought the mount (I think it was about $80.00) and changed it myself and it made a HUGE difference. I would highly recommend replacing the mount on any high-mileage SC400. Years later I decided to change the engine mounts as well (had to have those done by the shop) and that took virtually all the vibrations out. But I would just try the transmission mount first. My buddy at the Lexus shop tells me this is very common. Mine was compressed to like half of its original thickness.

Quick Reply: Official Thread: Where's that damn noise coming from?