SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

any Aussie's on here??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-01, 05:45 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking about moving from the US to Australia to live closer to family....anyone on here in Australia? I've asked my relatives about importing my car, and they're clueless. Does anyone have any info on importing a car to Australia from the US?

I also want to know about the import scene there....any carshows and the such to speak of?

And yes I know all the drive-thru's will be on the wrong side of the car if I do this

SR
Old 07-24-01, 11:10 AM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile yup yup me...

Yup I'm in Australia. What car do you want to import from the US? As far as I know it would be pretty expensive to import then convert to RHD for australian standards. There's also ADR (Australian Design Regulations) standards of how your car should be. ie side intrusion bars etc need to be fitted if you dont already have them... etc. Have you ever thought of purchasing an australian car as the japanese imports of Australian cars usually have stronger engines and would be around the same price? Eg. A jap Spec Nissan S15 Silvia 173kw SR20DET engine costs AUS$38k, '96 Supra Twin Turbo AUS$36k (207kw), Lexus Soarer Twin Turbo AUS$18-21k (207kw), Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R (aka GodZilla) AUS$65k (207kw), Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T AUS$24k (180kw).... All those engine power ratings are estimated from factory and arent the real ratings by far. You know about the Jap gentlemens agreement that they wont build a car more powerful than 207kw... So it's 207kw on paper. If you've driven a Supra TT then you know it's not 207kw... And with the crapass aussie dollar, divide it by 2 and you have US prices.

There is a big (and still growing) car scene here, caters for most of the types you might be interested in. There's autosalon (Riceboy/Sound/looks/interior, www.autosalon.org) type, lots of cruise car types where a group of fellows just get together at an appointed meeting place and blast around the back roads(www.melbccr.com), there's the general car enthusiast group (www.teamazm.com). and of course if you join any of these clubs (free) then you get invited to race meets, DECA, Supersprints etc. (only about AUS$100 every time you go on track, last time I went It cost me AUS$75). If you are a horsepower freak then there's the summernats easternats and Jamborees which are grudgematch 1/4 mile drags. etc. The only problem is that most of these events are overshadowed by the big corporate racing Ford/Holden V8. (like nascar). And then there's also Rally (not for the faint hearted) You can do a rally course for AUS$250-$300 using the instructors car (usually an EVOIII or IV or a WRX) depends on place.

Then of course there are the usual autoshows (like you have in the US) where the big corporations come out and show concept cars etc.

This is just in Melbourne (since I'm located here), but I hope that satisfies your question.

Cheers,

Toan.
Old 07-25-01, 04:49 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be trying to bring in a 93 Lexus SC300. I really would want to bring it in because I've invested so much into it. My cousin said that there is no need to switch over to RHD, that they'll allow LHD cars over there. Side intrusion bars? Would that be the side impact bars in the doors to protect during a crash? This car has a pretty good safety rating, at least in the US, so I would think it has most of the same things....

I will be in Sydney...is the import scene just as big there as in Melbourne? Personally I prefer Melbourne, but my family is all in Sydney / Brisbane, so being there I could drive to see them instead of fly....

SR
Old 07-25-01, 08:39 AM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hmm....

The only place that I can think of that might be able to answer this question is

http://www.crossover-car.com.au/mainpage.htm

These guys import cars from overseas (LHD) and make it Australian Roadworthy. Shoot them a mail and see what happens. They should know what to do.