Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone here from colorado that will be willing to help me out with this job
Old 06-15-08, 02:28 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RalAegidius
Hey RalAegidius, you wouldn't happen to have a high-res version of this image? I'm gearing up to change lenses myself (with the help of this thread and numerous other posts) and I wanted to see a closer look at the insides BEFORE I take them apart myself.
Old 06-15-08, 09:18 PM
DRAGAN
Rookie

What type of chemical and rag did you guys use to clean the chrome housing? Does it make a small fine line scratch on the surface?
Old 07-11-08, 10:12 AM
RichSC
Rookie

Great write up OLT. Got mine off the car and opened up in about 30 minutes. Very easy to do. The person that previously did the lights on this car did a horrible job. Looks like he used caulk to try and seal them and wrapped them in electrical tape.
Old 07-16-08, 09:19 AM
Methodical
Lead Lap

Wow!!!! Thanks SOOOOOOO much guys!!! This thread deserves to be in the CL hall of Fame Worked like a charm for me!! Again, Thank You!!!!!
Old 07-16-08, 02:45 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone got a good idea/fix to address the problem of the melted "city light" plastic cover? Many of us have this problem as well.This would be of mucho help!Please post ideas with pics!
Old 07-27-08, 04:50 AM
Turbo?
Pole Position

morning bump i just finished doing this will be posting pix up soon... tried to just poor some good old CLR and didnt work lol now im doing it your way!
Old 07-27-08, 04:22 PM
LAVIsH
Driver

great write ups i did this it it modd and it made one hella of a difference with my 4300k hids yesterday
Old 09-22-08, 06:40 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks alot OLT and RalAegidius im planning on doing this later this week hopefully everything will go smoothly!

And RalAegidius thanks for the step by step and pictures it'll help alot of people on this forum.. Cant wait!
Old 10-17-08, 05:42 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally just did it today and it took me 3.5 hours to do one. Didn't really get the result I wanted. But it did make it shine a lot brighter, but didn't get all that haze off even with 30 straight minutes of sanding. It still looks a lot better though
Old 10-31-08, 04:01 PM
shinesc
Driver School Candidate

this is awsome...
Old 11-24-08, 05:14 PM
richflip
Driver School Candidate

Just baked my headlights over the weekend. Fantastic results! Cleaned the projector glass, etc. Scrubbed the exterior clean with some household window cleaner. I CAN SEE IN THE DARK NOW!!! Only problem is, my driver-side daytime running light is now nonfunctional. But I don't care enough to undo the fantastic job I just did on the headlight reassembly. The last schmuck to do it before I owned the car used WAY too much silicon and didn't seal it properly - hence the disgusting amount of condensation.

And for those wondering if the temps posted are safe (300 degrees for 3-4 minutes) that worked out just fine for me, nothing melted or damaged. I did the first one for 3 min and had to toss it back in the oven for another 45 seconds because it wasn't enough. 4 min on the second headlight worked like a charm!
Old 11-24-08, 05:20 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

way to go....How long did it take you to do each headlight? What kind of sealer did you use?
Old 11-24-08, 05:48 PM
richflip
Driver School Candidate

I used a black silicone sealer from Canadian Tire (sort of like your Home Depot or Lowe's store down in the US). I'm sure if you went to Lowe's or Wal Mart and bummed around enough near the automotive section you'll find something similar.

Took me a while to get the first one done as I hadn't done it before. Should have filmed it and posted a YOuTube video. Maybe if another member is undertaking this project, bust out the cell phone cam or the camcorder and do someone a favor.

Baking should take 3-4 minutes. Took me about 5 min or so to pry everything open. Make sure to remove the clips first. I found on my second headlight that if you take a flat object (like a drywall putty blade or something similar) and patiently work the seal apart, and take a utility knife to slice away at the silicone already in place, that this works better than prying it open with a knife/screwdriver, etc. I ended up messing up the soft black plastic on the back of the headlight housing really badly and had to overdo the silicone job to make sure it was watertight afterwards. On my second headlight, I just took my time a bit more, starting on the topside of the headlight, working towards the back of the headlight (where it meets with the front quarter panel, not the pointed tip) and once I got far enough in, THEN I took a couple screwdrivers to the *corner* and pried it apart there as there was less surface to fight against and less soft plastic to screw up.

Quick Reply: The complete headlight HOW TO clean DIY + projector refinishing