SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Small Problems (rear tail-light, steering column, pwr mirrors, etc.)

Old 08-18-05, 03:48 PM
udfxrookie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Small Problems (rear tail-light, steering column, pwr mirrors, etc.)

I just got my first SC300, it's a 1995 auto with 123,000 miles on it. Two owners one of them being the car dealer that sold it to me, so I'm happy with the great condition of it. There are a few problems though that I have no idea how to fix or even what they are. So here's what's up:

1) The tail light out signal on my dash appears every now and again, but when I check for a light bulb out anywhere I can't find one, none of my bulbs are out whatsoever, so why does the light come on?

2) I had the check engine light come on the other day ago driving and 3 min. later it went out, and hasn't come on since... is this car OBD-I or OBD-II, and where is the port for it? What could the light have been for?

3) My steering wheel used to come out and down when I put the key in it, now it comes towards me and down a very little bit before making a grinding sound noise and not going down any further... what could that be about and how can I fix it?

4) My power mirrors don't work using the switch on the door, and my seat memory doesn't work either. Could this be a fuse? Where are the fuses located inside of the car? If not a fuse... what could cause this problem?

That's about it... other than that what normal tune-ups can be done at this many miles for longer life and better performance. I just had the belt changed and will be getting the tranny fluid flushed next week. Thanks everyone for all your feedback, it's hard being new to a car. I'm used to my cavalier that was built ground up for show and performance. Again thanks ahead for any and all advice!
Old 08-19-05, 05:27 PM
udfxrookie
Driver

Found answer to my steering column...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance/49783-tilt-steering-repair.html

Now all I have to do is hope someone has some insight on the rest of the questions....
Old 08-19-05, 09:07 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#4. I believe it is the power window control module that is malfunctioning. There were a few posts saying that changing that computer solved the problem. I'm not sure if that ties with the seat memory problem, though.

#2 If it's OBD-1, there should be a wiring diagram on the hood showing two pins to short. From what I remember, the pins are on a black connector near battery and intake manifold.
Old 08-19-05, 11:15 PM
udfxrookie
Driver

I was able to jump the obd-1 and found it to be code #71; So I'm taking the advice on cleaning my EGR system from this post:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=code

Other than that my steering column work perfect now, thanks to the previous post about putting in spacers, and I replaced my bulbs for my dash column... so everything moving forward on getting it all to work; I'll look into finding a new control module and post if that is the problem. Where can you get a repair manual or diagrams for the SC300? Other than the $99 one?
Old 08-20-05, 09:39 AM
Carbon J
Lead Lap

You can purchased a CD set somewhere, do a search. I would stick with the original manual($99 one) so much more info. Got my manuals (2) from Sewall Lexus one of the CL sponsors.
Old 09-12-05, 09:32 PM
Curt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by udfxrookie
1) The tail light out signal on my dash appears every now and again, but when I check for a light bulb out anywhere I can't find one, none of my bulbs are out whatsoever, so why does the light come on?
I have the same problem. Did you ever figure it out?
Curt
Old 09-12-05, 09:37 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

for your taillights problem...do you have an aftermarket spoiler installed with an LED brake light? If you do, the in car third brake light, above the sub woofer in the rear deck, should be disconnected. If it is, you will get the light for no brake light. Even if the aftermarket LED spoiler has working LED's that go on when you hit the brakes, the LEDs do not generate enough current to offset the sensor that tells the car that you are missing a brake light. If it's not the case, and the light is intermittent, check all wiring harness connections, including in-car third brake light. Often times this harness becomes loose, or the wires go bad, causing an intermittent failure of flow of current when you hit a bump or something.

Last edited by np20412; 09-12-05 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-14-05, 05:18 AM
Curt
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the ideas, NYLexSC. I don't have a spoiler or any unusual lighting (unless you count my LED dome light, but that shouldn't be related). The yellow light on the dash comes on when I press the brake only if my headlights are on. After a few weeks the problem goes away. After a few more weeks it comes back again. Several times I have checked all my lights, and they are always working perfectly. I changed the two high mount bulbs a few months ago when one of them burned out. My new bulbs were the same model 921 as the old ones, and they are listed as the stock replacement bulbs. All the bulbs look like the proper brightness. I haven't tried wiggling the connectors or sockets, though.

I did get bumped by a cement truck last year. That cracked my left tail light, so I replaced the whole unit. That certainly could be related.

This isn't really a major problem -- just a minor annoyance. I'll take another look at it some time or other.
Curt
Old 09-14-05, 05:33 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just go and replace the 1157 brake light bulbs, since you said it comes on when brake is depressed with headlights on. Sometimes the filament is old or loose. Happened with my car. Went on and off for 2 months until I replaced the bulb. Besides, cheapest solution for it so far. And if it doesn't fix the problem, bah, you got 2 extra bulbs.
Old 09-30-05, 06:37 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

I had the same problem, and I have the spoiler with the brake lights, but the problem was that the bulbs in the tail lights and sub light were not getting a good connection. Go to autozone, get some of that electrical grease, dab a little in the sockets after cleaning them, and then re install.
Old 10-01-05, 12:16 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

My brake light was due to one of the license plate lights being out. Also, I have the same problems with my mirrors, only the other day they worked fine.