SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Lexus Dealer problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-05, 08:51 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Lexus Dealer problems

A few of you may remember a while back, when I blew a fuse for my brake lights and could not get the car out of P.

Anyway, what happened was the Lexus Dealer did some rewiring and installed a new fuse, and everything worked fine, so I thought.

My car has an OEM SC400 spoiler on it, which I had installed 4 years ago about. The spoiler has a brake light, which was working before I took the car to the dealer. Now because I have a brake light ont he spoiler, I disconnected the in-car third brake light. Because of this, I constantly have that light in my dash. After the dealer finished re-wiring, they reconnected the in-car third brake light. Immediately when I sat in my car, I disconnected it again, thinking that I still have my spoiler brake light connected also. Wrong.

I drove like, without any third brake light for 2+ months, almost 3 since I had that rewiring done. I don't look behind my car that often when someone else is on the brakes to see that all the lights are working. So anyway, I've been driving with no third brake light. Yesterday, I got pulled over for not having a third brake light. I told the cop I was unaware, and that I thought the dealer had left my spoiler light connected, which they obviously didn't. I know for a fact that the spoiler light was working BEFORE I took the car to the dealer for the re-wiring and new fuse. Anyway, I re-connected my in-car third brake light right there in front of the cop, so he didn't give me a ticket. Now I called my dealer to let them know that I was unhappy with what they did to my brake light setup, and they told me that they might not be able to rewire my spoiler light in without charging me for it I set up an appointment to have it done next Friday, and they most certainly should reconnect my spoiler light free of charge, since they are the ones who disconnected it. I am going to have to argue with the service manager when I get there, but what do you guys think? Do you think they should have to fix it free of charge, or is there not enough evidence that it was their fault that my spoiler brake light isn't on anymore??

(btw, the brake light in the spoiler is LED, so its not like it's out altogether, it's gotta be just disconnected)
Old 08-12-05, 08:54 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

fix it yourself, the stealer will rape you!
Old 08-12-05, 08:56 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

#1) I wouldn't have any clue what I was doing back there
#2) I believe they should do it free of charge, and also give me a free $10 car wash at the same time

If they want to be so stubborn and not do it for me, then I will try and do it myself. I just wanted a few opinions on what to do. Thanks for the input!
Old 08-12-05, 09:03 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i can help ya, its two wires that you splice into the original third brake light.t
Old 08-12-05, 09:20 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aliga
i can help ya, its two wires that you splice into the original third brake light.t
See, I don't know if was done that way. If it was done like that, then when I disconnected my in-car third brake light, I shouldn't have gotten the dash warning light correct? I think it's wired separately from the stock third light, because I had my in dash sensor on even when my spoiler light was working and the in car light was d/c.
Old 08-12-05, 09:51 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
See, I don't know if was done that way. If it was done like that, then when I disconnected my in-car third brake light, I shouldn't have gotten the dash warning light correct? I think it's wired separately from the stock third light, because I had my in dash sensor on even when my spoiler light was working and the in car light was d/c.
If you disconnect the stock brake light and replace it with the LED unit, the light in the cluster will still go on. The LED's do not draw as much current as the stock bulbs. So as far as the car is concerned, the bulbs are out and it triggers the light.

Removing the little bulb from the cluster is a quick and easy fix. I had to do it on mine for my all-led tails. Works great!
Old 08-12-05, 09:52 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Your dealer sucks. raise cain@!#$
Old 08-12-05, 10:16 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Alright, I took a look back there, and it turns out that what the dealer did was COMPLETELY bypass the two wires that I have going to the LED spoiler light, and simply reconnected the in-car one. Not only that, they fully REMOVED the wires that went to my spoiler. So now I pulled the wire from the LED tail that comes out of the spoiler through a hole in the trunk lid under the carpeting, bought two new wires and rewired it to my third brake light. I bypassed the stock third brake light and reconnected my spoiler light, works perfectly. Thanks to aliga, i knew what to look for ! I've still got the light in my cluster as CleanSC said, now is the only way to get rid of this light to take the bulb out of the cluster? Sure there is no way to clear that sensor and just make that light go out for good without removing the bulb? I was trying to save all cluster work until the needles actually die, then order everything new from Lex-tech. But if you could tell me what its going to involve to remove that bulb, in terms of removing the dashboard and such, and how much time and efforty it takes to get that bulb out (im hinting at if you posted a DIY on the subject, or if not could at least PM me some details regarding getting this bulb out) I would really appreciate it to see if I should continue waiting for my needles to die or if I should go ahead and get this ugly orange light out of my cluster now